Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Watched the movie, "Somewhere in Time (1980)" from the list of time travel movies I shared before.

No Spoiler:
Damn! Nice movie. Previously when I read that the plot device for time travel in this movie was self hypnosis, I was dubious of the movie. But the film is rather well made.

Bonus fact:
The story works like Titanic. And as it turns out James Cameron was in fact a fan of this movie, so the similarities are not coincidental.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
The First Lebanon War - June, 1982. A lone tank is dispatched to search a hostile town that has already been bombarded by the Israeli Air Force.

Lebanon (2009) 7/10
R | 93 min | Drama, War | 15 October 2009 (Israel)
You seem to watch a lot of war movies. Can you list out some of the best?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The Age of Adaline (2015)

The Age of Adaline (2015) - IMDb

*ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTAzMTQzMTA2MjheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk2MTg2MzUx._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

My rating - 6/10

Somewhat similar idea to Forever the TV series I guess. A lady who does not age forms the basis of the story.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The Age of Adaline (2015)

The Age of Adaline (2015) - IMDb

*ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTAzMTQzMTA2MjheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk2MTg2MzUx._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

My rating - 6/10

Somewhat similar idea to Forever the TV series I guess. A lady who does not age forms the basis of the story.

So someone finally watched this one. I intent to watch this. (Somehow, I have a soft corner to movies which screw with time). But partly since its my exams, partly since tickets are very costly at that too in select theaters only, and partly since I spend too much watching Tomorrowland, I have decided not to watch Adaline on big screen.
But I am interested in how was the film.

If you have watched the age reversal in "Curious case of Benjamin's Button", and romantic angle in "Time Traveler's Wife" and "About Time", how is romance in Adaline compared to that?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have not watched any of the 3 above mentioned movies unfortunately.
But I liked the twist in the tale (though was predictable) of the romance in this.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Drishayam
After a long time I have seen something good from an indian cinema. This movie can be put under must watch. From start to finish this movie will surely hold your interest. There was not a single moment where you would feel bored. There was almost no unnecessary scenes. From acting to direction everything was to the point.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Origin of Drishayam:-

The Devotion of Suspect X is a 2005 novel byKeigo Higashino,

Suspect X (2008)
"Yôgisha X no kenshin" (original title)
128 min | Crime, Drama, Mystery | 4 October 2008 (Japan)

Perfect Number (2012)
"Yong-eui-ja X" (original title)
119 min | Drama, Thriller | 18 October 2012 (South Korea)

Drishyam (2013)-Malayalam
U | 160 min | Drama, Thriller | 19 December 2013 (India)

Drishya (2014)-KANNADA
Not Rated | 154 min | Drama, Family, Thriller | 13 September 2014 (India)

Drushyam (2014)-TELUGU
150 min | Drama, Family, Thriller | 11 July 2014 (India)

Papanasam (2015)-TAMIL
Drama, Thriller | 10 July 2015 (India)

Drishyam (2015)-HINDI
Drama, Mystery, Thriller | 2015 (India)

I liked, Perfect Number, but Indian version Drishyam (2013)-Malayalam was completely changed as per indian culture.,Both are good in remaining films are re-making for money as well as improve own status.,

Read the book when it released.

And watched
[/COLOR][/B][/I]Suspect X (2008)
"Yôgisha X no kenshin" (original title)
128 min | Crime, Drama, Mystery | 4 October 2008 (Japan)

along with Drishyam.

Both movies failed to capture the true essence of the book.

Tanu weds Manu - Returns 6/10

One thing I'll admit and that is the only thing I'll admit of this movie that it's funny.
At least the first half was. Second half is a mess but funny but a nonsense mess.

Kangna is surprising with each movie. All of a sudden she's becoming an actress to look for rather just a pretty face.
:sigh: its a bad movie but funny.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Comparing books with movies every time seems like injustice to me.
Anyways I have not read the book but converting some foreign movie into an almost perfect desi version needs some skills too. For that the entire crew of that movie deserves an applause.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Comparing books with movies every time seems like injustice to me.
Anyways I have not read the book but converting some foreign movie into an almost perfect desi version needs some skills too. For that the entire crew of that movie deserves an applause.

Agree, but they(Malayalam movie maker) weakened the main twist which is the heart of the story.

Just some info.

Drishyam is unofficial adaptation of the book. They just made a book without buying the rights.
The Ajay Devgan starred one is remake of "Drishyam".

b/w Ekta Kapoor bought official rights of the book and also making movie on it. (most probably) starring Saif Lai Khan, Katrina.

ajayritik

Technomancer
b/w Ekta Kapoor bought official rights of the book and also making movie on it. (most probably) starring Saif Lai Khan, Katrina.
correction Kangna Ranaut.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanu weds Manu - Returns 6/10

One thing I'll admit and that is the only thing I'll admit of this movie that it's funny.
At least the first half was. Second half is a mess but funny but a nonsense mess.

Kangna is surprising with each movie. All of a sudden she's becoming an actress to look for rather just a pretty face.
:sigh: its a bad movie but funny.
Agree with the part I bolded from your views.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Agree, but they(Malayalam movie maker) weakened the main twist which is the heart of the story..
Hmm then do you recommend to read the book or to watch suspect X. Also is Suspect X (2008) movie true to the book?

Just some info.
Drishyam is unofficial adaptation of the book. They just made a book without buying the rights.
The Ajay Devgan starred one is remake of "Drishyam".
Yes thats a bad thing which some indian filmmakers often do. Not buying the rights. BTW ekta kapoors star cast. :lol:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hmm then do you recommend to read the book or to watch suspect X. Also is Suspect X (2008) movie true to the book?
No, even the Japanese one is not true to book. They portrayed the professor like some super intelligent being!

Anyway, the book is a must read. I don't know if you are into reading novels, if you are, this is the one you must read.

I've become a fan of the author Keigo Higashino after reading the book ad read all his novels (at least all those are available in english). I'm not boasting or showing off.
In the premise of "perfect murder" he's one true king!

Yes thats a bad thing which some indian filmmakers often do. Not buying the rights. BTW ekta kapoors star cast. :lol:
Hmmm, even I'm quite surprised and sad about the star-cast but she has bought rights, her money to make the movie...what can we say.

I would have preferred,

Anil Kapoor as scientist
Madhavan as mathematics professor
Vidya Balan as the woman with daughter
Mahesh Manjrekar as her husband

:p (as if anyone asking me) :D

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ If this lady ekta kapoor can think that Akshay kumar & Imran Khan can pull off what Ajay Devgn and Emran Hashmi acheived in OUATIM I believe the cast of the movie you are discussing is nothing.

quan chi

mortal kombat
1947 earth
2nd time.
This movie is well crafted & is one of the best movies based on freedom. Script,music, acting & direction everything is balanced.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1947 earth
2nd time.
This movie is well crafted & is one of the best movies based on freedom. Script,music, acting & direction everything is balanced.

Can you help with IMDb link? Movies name is "1947 Earth" or it's Earth which was released in 1947? (That would be too old movie! :p)

quan chi

mortal kombat
Can you help with IMDb link? Movies name is "1947 Earth" or it's Earth which was released in 1947? (That would be too old movie! :p)
Earth (1998) - IMDb
Wikipedia helps sometimes. Anyways It was released in India as 1947: Earth.
Earth (1998 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom