Movie VCD---How they are created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nil_3

In the zone
How the original movie VCDs are created? Is it that first the film is scanned and then the file is converted to VCD? Or any other procedure?

Which softwares are employed in preparation of those original (and NOT PIRATED) movie VCDs that are released by the movie production houses?

I am asking this question because whenever I make VCD from footage taken from my handycam, it loses clarity(though i get excellent clarity by making DVD). Original movie VCDs are also of excellent picture clarity. How it becomes possible?

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
One of the most popular softwares used for movie authoring is Sonic Foundry's (now Sony's) Vegas.It gives you total control over the authoring process.The movie is first digitized from it's original print and then converted to DVD/VCD.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
hi nil_3 a tip for u. You can create svcd insted of vcd for better quality. vcd's are mpeg1 but svcd and DVD's are mpeg2 which gives more clarity
and quality ;). I create only svcd & DVD's. i hate VCD :x. maybe u can try KVCD format. i still havent made those KVCD's as i cannot find nessary tools,but ill keep trying :D

charan

OP
nil_3

nil_3

In the zone
@ dIgItaL_BrAt & __Virus__.
Thanks BrAt for your information and thanks __Virus__ to remind me.

@ charangk
What is KVCD? Sorry, but I hav'nt heard of this?

puja399

In the zone
nil_3 said:
I am asking this question because whenever I make VCD from footage taken from my handycam, it loses clarity(though i get excellent clarity by making DVD). Original movie VCDs are also of excellent picture clarity. How it becomes possible?

Commercial movies are shot with high quality cameras giving near perfection colors, but the handycams u r taking about give low quality images, hence the difference. Moreover, commercial movie shots use calculated lighting etc. which gives better result. If u can use even a better qualilty 3CCD camcorder with spotlight, u can get better result that what u r getting now.

Sajeev

Broken In
I am asking this question because whenever I make VCD from footage taken from my handycam, it loses clarity(though i get excellent clarity by making DVD). Original movie VCDs are also of excellent picture clarity. How it becomes possible?[/quote]

Movies are made from cameras whose quality cannot be matched by small handycams hence movie VCDs are very clear and
home videos on VCD are not as clear as a movie VCDs, but one can make high quality DIVX or Video DVD from Raw Video from the Tape

Do you have a DV cam and do you use i-link(IEEE1394 firewire) to transfer the video to transfer video to your PC ?

I have a SONY Digital8 handycam and am not able to transfer raw video using i-link port which i have on my PCI slot
USB transfer is useless as video quality diminishes
My camera is not detected while it is connected through i-link :(

Quality of the VCD movie is dependent on the "motion search precision" of the encoder. Most commecrial production houses will use hardware encoders for both MPEG1 (VCD) and MPEG2 (DVD) video encoding.

To get good quality VCD encodes (using a software encoder on your home PC), try this -

Get yourself a copy of Tsunami MPEG (TMPEG) encoder. *www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html <-- free for MPEG1

Open your captured DV file (hint: use *windv.mourek.cz/ for Dv capture) and encode using the default (PAL) VCD profile, BUT after changing the "motion search precision" to "high quality". You might have to load the "unlock.mcf" profile to change advanced settings. Search for TMPEG guides at www.videohelp.com

IMPORTANT: Author and burn the output using a VCD structure but DO NOT re-encode (Nero tries to re-encode, avoid).

Use *www.vcdeasy.org/ instead to author and burn. It's not free.

OR get VCDImager *www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/vcdimager.cfm

and get the GUI from here *www.videohelp.com/vcdimagergui.htm Put it in the same folder as VCDImager.

Hope this helped,
Keith

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@nil_3

What is KVCD?

"K Video Compression Dynamics"

KVCD is a modification to the standard MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 GOP structure and Quantization Matrix. It enables you to create over 120 minutes of near DVD quality video, depending on your material, on a single 80 minute CD-R/CD-RW. We have published these specifications as KVCDx3, our official resolution, which produce 528x480 (NTSC) and 528x576 (PAL) MPEG-1 variable bit rate video, from 64Kbps to 3,000Kbps. Using a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), it's possible to encode video up to ~360 minutes of near VCD quality on a single 80 minute CD-R. The mpeg files created will play back in most modern standalone DVD players. You must burn the KVCD MPEG files as non-standard VCD or non-standard SVCD (depends on your player) with Nero or VCDEasy.

Using KVCD parameters to create DVDs (KDVD), will enable you to create 100% DVD compliant MPEG-2 streams, capable of playing on any standard DVD player. This will allow you to put up to about 6 hours Full D-1 720x480 on one DVD, or about 10 hours at Half D-1 352x480.

source: www.kvcd.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom