Motorola Defy and Defy+

arjundg

Broken In
Thanks vaibhav99 and Soumik, will be getting a scratch guard and a mobile cover soon.:grin:
How about this screen protector? Amzer-Mirror-Screen-Protector-with-Cleaning-Cloth-P89392

My current installed App List -
Go Launcher EX + GO Contacts + GO SMS Pro + Go Weather with HTC Skin
Honeycomb GO Launcher EX Theme
Home Switcher for Froyo
Widgetsoid2.x (using this for turning off/on mobile data, locking screen etc)
Opera Mini web browser
Angry Birds Rio
xPiano
Taskos To Do List | Task List
RockPlayer Lite
Winamp

The Defy FM Radio sucks, so I installed the Droid 2 FM Radio app from XDA
Defy FM Radio

sach1000rt

Journeyman
Thanks vaibhav99 and Soumik, will be getting a scratch guard and a mobile cover soon.:grin:
How about this screen protector? Amzer-Mirror-Screen-Protector-with-Cleaning-Cloth-P89392

My current installed App List -
Go Launcher EX + GO Contacts + GO SMS Pro + Go Weather with HTC Skin
Honeycomb GO Launcher EX Theme
Home Switcher for Froyo
Widgetsoid2.x (using this for turning off/on mobile data, locking screen etc)
Opera Mini web browser
Angry Birds Rio
xPiano
Taskos To Do List | Task List
RockPlayer Lite
Winamp

The Defy FM Radio sucks, so I installed the Droid 2 FM Radio app from XDA
Defy FM Radio

Go Launcher EX, GO Contacts are amazing. try moboplayer, its better than rockplayer lite last time i checked rockplayer didnt show subtitles but mobo did and its free. try poweramp its equalizer is amazing but not free.

Big Stack

Broken In
Im planning to buy Motorola defy nearly.
Im living in Kerala
will i be getting after sale support clearly in kerala
is it good to take defy though online,coz if any problem is there, they may take months to fix??
correct me if i am wrong
thanks in advance

plz mention if anybody bought defy within Kerala

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
^^ No matter where you get it from, u need to send the device to support centre to get it fixed. So, if you can get it cheap online.. why not get it. :)

arjundg

Broken In
Go Launcher EX, GO Contacts are amazing. try moboplayer, its better than rockplayer lite last time i checked rockplayer didnt show subtitles but mobo did and its free. try poweramp its equalizer is amazing but not free.

Tried Moboplayer, but somehow it was not able to play large movie files smoothly, whereas Rockplayer was playing it well. Heard a lot about Poweramp, will have to try it tho!

Im planning to buy Motorola defy nearly.
is it good to take defy though online,coz if any problem is there, they may take months to fix??
If you buy a device from local store or any reliable online retailer, its the same....if there is anything wrong in the device, you have to reach out to the service centers...buy from the place where you are getting a better deal!

Big Stack

Broken In
Thanks for the information
im going to take defy through online
from the post in this forum i guess Letsbuy got the best deal in defy

Does the defy comes with Motoblur UI bought from letsbuy.?
how is the 3d gaming on defy?
how is the Battery life?
sorry if im asking too many questions

thanks

arjundg

Broken In
Thanks for the information
im going to take defy through online
from the post in this forum i guess Letsbuy got the best deal in defy

Does the defy comes with Motoblur UI bought from letsbuy.?
how is the 3d gaming on defy?
how is the Battery life?
sorry if im asking too many questions

thanks

Defy in India is without any Motoblur, and this is good as Motoblur is ugly and sucks lot of juice!
No idea about 3d gaming
Battery life is ok, depends on how much calls and data you are using, 1-2 days for me. I will be rooting my phone soon and underclock to increase the battery life.

No problem, without questions this forum is of no use:wink:.

maddy1205

bloody hell mate!!!!
i saw your posts guys(i guess most of u have defy)......so would u advise me to go for defy..as i am planning to buy a phone under 16k.:smile:

arjundg

Broken In
i saw your posts guys(i guess most of u have defy)......so would u advise me to go for defy..as i am planning to buy a phone under 16k.:smile:

I am pretty satisfied with my Defy, it has neat piece of hardware! For other phones in the range, pls check the buying guide thread.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
@maddy1205... In this range, Defy is the best phone u can get. Its almost in the league of 19K+ phones, and trust me, you wont feel the difference.

Anyways.. posting new things that i did with my Defy....

Created an adhoc wifi network to share wired broadband connection from my laptop and it worked perfectly.(unlike my room mate's HTC Desire, which somehow found every single available wifi network other than one created at home. :p Anyways.. will root the device tomorrow to try and fix it.)

Plugged in my 2 TB HDD to the laptop and browsed files in it from my Defy using ES File Explorer. Then tried playing some high quality videos on it. (On RockLite Player - was trying this one out as i just dld ed it.) 480p files worked like a charm. .mkv showed recognized format somehow on ES file explorer. Didnt try to play them. 720p .avi played nicely, with very slight... but constant shudder. Like probably at around 25-30fps.
1080p played too, but at a slideshow pace. Probably 3-5fps. :(.
Anyways, playing so much on a device with buggy stock Froyo ROM itself was enough.
Did some more browsing on Dolphin HD browser. Very smooth. plays online flash contest fantastically smooth. Didnt try 720p there as my broadband itself didnt have enough bandwidth to play them smoothly :p.
Tried to load the Facebook game Cityville on Dolphin HD. It loaded alright, but certainly wasnt playable as the touch interaction wasnt getting registered on the flash content for some reason.

Ok there goes another long post of my adventures with Defy. You can post your exp too.
Cummon guys, make use of your smartphone and do crazy stuff... share your exp.. i want to learn, try and get amazed more. :)

sach1000rt

Journeyman
flashed cm7, working very well. in stock rom it gave 1170 quadrant benchmark, after overclocking to 1Ghz it gave 1370. now in cm7 quadrant benchmark is 2130(amazing). it plays 720p movie well but sometimes stutters here and there but its not a worry because the same video when played on galaxy sl, the result was same(stuttering). no 720p recording but Use LGcamera from market it can record video at 848x480 resolustion.

giprabu

In the zone
can someone please post the screenshot of defy's keyboard (asap)??
and also i would like to know your feedback on using 'swype' on defy...

arjundg

Broken In
@Soumik...Great adventures bro! Will definitely try out the Wifi with my Laptop....:smile:

@sach1000rt...I got 1150 with Quadrant in my Defy, beats Galaxy S by a margin! But 2130 is insane:grin:...btw, are the pictures taken from the Defy camera bit noisy? I was taking some indoor pictures...:?:

@giprabu...I still havent figured out the Swype keyboard, there are some tutorials on the net, you can go through it...For me the Moto Multi Touch keyboard works just fine...

Guys, there is a software update on Defy, I updated over the net, the latest build version is 3.4.36-1.7! Will be rooting it today with Superoneclick and underclock, lets see how it goes....:cool:

Last edited:

giprabu

In the zone
^^does the appearance of the android 2.1 keyboard different from the froyo's keyboard ??
and if u have updated it to froyo, pls post the pic of its keyboard..

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
@arundg - Thanks.. Do try it out. :)

@sach1000rt - Congrats man. :D. Have u tried using launcher over the stock rom? Is you have.. how much difference in performance does it make with your cm7 rom? Also, how is the battery life on it? I dont want it to decrease. I am quite happy with its performance, and dont want to sacrifice battery life for more performance. But if cm7 has same or lower juice thirst.. i would love to go for it. :D

@giprabu - You mean Moto kb? well.. while on 2.1, i really didnt use that one. Swype was enough for me. Its really easy to use swype. You can add new words, delete them, change accuracy:speed ratio according to your need. Its good. But as for feel, there's a multi touch kb also installed... thats better than both moto and swype interms of usability(if ur not using swype feature). You can dld the aftermarket GO Kb... its pretty nice too. Been using it since a week... and its similar to the multi touch kb, except its got nice themes. :)

arjundg

Broken In
^^does the appearance of the android 2.1 keyboard different from the froyo's keyboard ??
and if u have updated it to froyo, pls post the pic of its keyboard..

Mine was pre-installed with Froyo, so the keyboard was not changed....there are three input methods - Swpe/Moto/Multi-Touch, I use the multi touch one....pic is here - *ausdroid.net/wp-content/gallery/motorola-defy/motorola-defy-front-with-virtual-keyboard.jpg

giprabu

In the zone
^^ thanks a lot ..
@soumik ; @arjundg
i tried this phone in chroma yesterday.. there were lots of mistappings while using swype on it.. only 2 out of 8 words was rite :(.. but the swype in other phones (like galaxy ace and sl) were too much comfortable.. their keyboard looks like this.. *img12.imageshack.us/img12/7853/samsunggalaxyacereview1.png
is it because of the keyboard or something else..?

i love swype.. now this is the only thing stopping me from buying it.. :(

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
^^ Thats a pic of the swype 2 beta... U sure that those phone use this one? If you need this, you can get from their official site and put it on any android device.
The Defy you tried was probably not configured correctly. You can put the accuracy to a higher level to recognize your swipe more accurately.

giprabu

In the zone
^^yeah.. damn sure.. all the samsung ones (gal s, sl, ace) were having that keyboard only. So you mean that, we can bring that keyboard to defy too !! (peak of happiness and satisfaction).. coz this is gonna be my first android phone and a pretty high investment for a mobile phone. So i don't want to compromise on these aspects as i do lot of texting.
Din't you face any problem when using swype like unnecessary letters getting recognised (like 'c' getting included when u intended to swype through 'v')?

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
^^ Ok if all Samsung phones have it, it might be the Samsung modified version of Swype.
A lil wrong info.. i just found out that its Swype 3.0 beta not 2.0 :p and you need to have a rooted phone. You have to kick out the Sype on ur device and install the new one. But its quite simple if you follow steps in xda/similar forums correctly.
You can use this for eg.
[HOW-TO] Install Swype 3 Beta on Charge.
or
Swype beta 3 open to all - xda-developers

Din't you face any problem when using swype like unnecessary letters getting recognised (like 'c' getting included when u intended to swype through 'v')?
You will face such problems if you have ur swype accuracy ratio changed to the speed end.
Make it more towards accurate and u wont face those issues.

Top Bottom