Motorola Defy and Defy+

anshul_sood

Broken In
No it is automatic. As for me I am looking to buy it, so have been reading up on it at xda forums. Overclocking and underclocking is covered there along with installation of custom roms. You can see it at [GUIDE] All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide - xda-developers

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Then, it would be very unfortunate. But, we can always apply the released Defy+ ROM.
Cant Help it bro. Its what their strategy seems to be. But definitely Defy+ ROMs fit into Defy, so nothing we should worry abt. :)

My defy has a green lens.. So if I use the rom of defy+, is it like, i won't be able to use my cam at all ?? or only the 720p feature alone won't be available ??
If you have a non-Bayer Lens, and u use a Defy+ ROM, you wont be able to use the camera. The drivers wont match. It would be better to get a Defy ROM and put a 720p module/patch on it. The Bayer Lens is not dependant on color. Just get aLogCat from market(requires root) and u will be able to chk ur lens make.

Motorola DEFY -TI OMAP 3610 processor(can be overclocked to 1ghz)
Motorla DEFY+ -1 GHz TI OMAP 3620 processor(must be able to overclocked upto 1.2ghz)
so i think its wise to wait for DEFY +
3620 is an overclocked 3610. Its not a different chipset. So, overclockablity is same. The price will be around 3K more. Right now, in all probability, all Defy come with Bayer lens module, so its not exactly wise to wait for Defy+. Defy will not be available at the time of Defy+ launch in India.

How does it now handle live wallpapers..??
My defy lags when i use live wp in stock rom...:-|..
And how does your battery life is now..? (coz its now running at 1.2ghz rite)...
My stock ROM handled live wallpapers well. Just know that it goes slow over time. So, remember to install and use a proper task killer to free up ram, and restart your phone once in 2-3 days once. Also clear the cache with some applition every few days. It will run fast enough. I am running customized MIUI rom(WajkIUI 1.9.2). Its overclocked to 1GHz. And the battery is slightly better than the stock ROM.

zzzz

Right off the assembly line
how do i figure out which lens i'v got green or red? how does it matter ? and wats this bayer lens.. someone please clarify..

anshul_sood

Broken In
how do i figure out which lens i'v got green or red? how does it matter ? and wats this bayer lens.. someone please clarify..

As he said above, just get aLogCat from Android market(requires root) and you will be able to check your lens make.

zzzz

thanks,
but my phone is not rooted., and is there a way i can find it out without rooting ?
btw what difference does the colour of lens make?

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Boot Manager Allows ‘Flashaholics’ To Run Up To 5 ROMs At Once - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
ok for all ppl interested in custom ROMs for Defy, try out WajkIUI 1.9.9. Its overclocked to 1.1 GHz.
Its smooth, good looking and i just got a quadrant result of 2193... :D. Hard to imagine that the result is more than 1K higher than what i got from the stock device when i first got it. :)

Big Stack

Broken In
i am a motorola defy user
I would like to install one of the custom rom

will it void warranty if i do custom rom?
what about warranty if i again flashed and install stock rom ??

thank you

sach1000rt

Journeyman
i am a motorola defy user
I would like to install one of the custom rom

will it void warranty if i do custom rom?
what about warranty if i again flashed and install stock rom ??

thank you
yes it will void warranty.
and yes you will get your warranty back after flashing stock again.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Whether Defy+ will support the Custom ROMs of Defy?

The only hardware difference that matters for the OS is the camera module. If you have Bayer module(referred to as red lens in XDA forums), its basically the same as a Defy+. There are many ROMs which already are based on the red lens and have patchs along with it, that make the camera working for green lens(non-Bayer lens... dont go by colour) handsets.

So, u can safely say, Defy+ custom ROMs are already available in the forums.

shivangi

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Motorola Defy from Letsbuy.com.
I am fairly impressed with the phone. I needed to discuss a few things about the phone and couldnt find any thread for Defy, so created one.

I am not sure if there are many Defy owners around here, but if you are, please give your opinions here. :)

Ok, i would first like a recommendation from you. I got a 2Gb card free with the cell, but i want to get a higher capacity card.
Please recommend me some good card that is supported by Moto Defy.
I was thinking of getting Patriot Signature 16Gb Class 10 card. It will cost me around Rs2100. My friend is abroad and might be able to get it for me. Is there any other good option? and whats the best i can get over here?

i'm also looking forward to buy this phone..but it runs on android 2.1 and i've heard that it gets bad after upgrading to android 2.2 ..is that true?? :???:

devilonleash

Hi

Am planning to purchase Moto Defy and is pretty excited about it. But am a complete newbie/novice in tems of android and hence pls excuse my queries which may appear outright plain stupid to some of you.. Shall be glad if anyone can help me with following :

a.) Do i necessarily need to have a GPRS connection to use my phone? Have heard that android phone connect to internet on their own through GPRS.

b.) I have an unlimited braodband connection at home which unfortunately is wired to my PC and hence no wifi :(. So is it possible that i download the apps on to my PC and then transfer to the phone? And during/after installation do the apps need to connect to internet?

c.) If i use the phone only for normal browsing (gmail/facebook/cricinfo) and google maps, what kind of data consumption will happen in a month and which kind of data plans are available (have got airtel postpaid)

d.) Do i need a screen guard for the defy?

e.) Some good/useful apps for the phone.I shall be using the phone mainly for calls/sms, music, games.

Shall be glad for the help.

Thanks.

anshul_sood

Broken In
a.) Do i necessarily need to have a GPRS connection to use my phone? Have heard that android phone connect to internet on their own through GPRS.
If you disable auto syncing and background data, GPRS will be used only when you enable it
b.) I have an unlimited braodband connection at home which unfortunately is wired to my PC and hence no wifi :(. So is it possible that i download the apps on to my PC and then transfer to the phone? And during/after installation do the apps need to connect to internet?
You can download apps and install them though side-loading but not from the official android market. Youi can also buy a wi-fi dongle to share your internet over wifi with your phone while you are at home. A good dongle costs just about 1K
c.) If i use the phone only for normal browsing (gmail/facebook/cricinfo) and google maps, what kind of data consumption will happen in a month and which kind of data plans are available (have got airtel postpaid)
As for internet Rs 98 plan gives you 2 GB which is sufficient unless you try to stream videos or download movies on your phone I used just about 500 MB on my dad's Android phone in August. This is for 2G plan. 3G plan is too costly, better go with Wifi while you are at home
No it is coated with gorilla glass. So unless you use a drill on your phone or deop it from more than 6-7 feet, it should remain protected. Still you may buy one if you want to.
e.) Some good/useful apps for the phone.I shall be using the phone mainly for calls/sms, music, games.
You may use tunewiki for music, angry birds for gaming, Handcent SMS or ChompSMS for SMS

devilonleash

Thanks a lot Anshul for taking the time out and educate a nincompoop..Much appreciated..
Loved the dongle idea..good that i waited and asked for help..now the next question will be about a good dongle..checked at ebay and the stuffs are ranging from 600 bucks to 3k..any particular thing regarding specs that i need to keep in mind?
Gonna get defy this week..cant wait to get my hands on it..then perhaps share a beginners experiments with android:-D
thanks once again da..

Cheers

devilonleash

Hi Anshul

I tried reading about wi-fi dongles and converting your desktop/laptop into wi-fi hot spot. However got confused on the following points:

a.) Most of the web pages mention converting a laptop/desktop which already is a recipient of wifi network into a wifi hotspot. I have got a wired LAN connection to my desktop (win xp) and the router is beetel 110bx1 adsl2+ router. Can i convert this wired desktop into a wifi hotspot using a dongle?

b.) In some of the discussions it was mentioned that ad-hoc wifi networks are not recognizable by android phones and a wi-fi router is required for the purpose. Is it true?

Need help on the same as getting worried now. any links/tutorials will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance..

anshul_sood

Broken In
Hi Anshul

I tried reading about wi-fi dongles and converting your desktop/laptop into wi-fi hot spot. However got confused on the following points:

a.) Most of the web pages mention converting a laptop/desktop which already is a recipient of wifi network into a wifi hotspot. I have got a wired LAN connection to my desktop (win xp) and the router is beetel 110bx1 adsl2+ router. Can i convert this wired desktop into a wifi hotspot using a dongle?

b.) In some of the discussions it was mentioned that ad-hoc wifi networks are not recognizable by android phones and a wi-fi router is required for the purpose. Is it true?

Need help on the same as getting worried now. any links/tutorials will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance..
I too have got a BSNL unlimited wired broadband connection and was asking the same questions a few months back. Just buy a WiFi dongle by some good brand like Netgear, belkin, asus, Dlink. Get one which is wifi b/g/n compatible. Now download software named mhotspot from share internet connection windows 7 Dial up your connection, install the dongle drivers, start mhotspot, click on setup hotspot, enter a name, choose your password, and then just click on start button. You are good to go.

devilonleash

Thanks once again Anshul..but i guess the mhotspot s/w is not compatible with win xp..looks it's only for windows 7.. :cry:

any other way or shaill i get a wifi router?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Hi

Am planning to purchase Moto Defy and is pretty excited about it. But am a complete newbie/novice in tems of android and hence pls excuse my queries which may appear outright plain stupid to some of you.. Shall be glad if anyone can help me with following :

Shall be glad for the help.

Thanks.

a) GPRS connection is not essential. But to make the most of your phone, you will need some type of wireless connection. How will you use Facebook or Twitter or Gmail or Youtube on your phone without a wireless internet connection?

You can turn off wireless data access from Settings >> Wireless & Networks >> Mobile Networks >> Data

Uncheck it and then you won't have to worry about using mobile data...

You can even use PowerControl widget to quickly turn it on or off whenever you like without going all the way into settings...

b) Since you already have unlimited broadband at home, you will need to buy a wireless router. Don't buy a dongle, adhoc wifi connections are not easy to make. Just buy a wireless router. You can connect a 100 devices using a router at once... And your PC does not even have to stay on for you to us the internet on your mobile devices.

You can easily get an N150 type router for 1.2k to 1.4k in the market...

c) Get a Rs 98 2GB pack from airtel. More than enough for mobile use...

d) Better to get a screen guard, just in case...

e) Get an Android phone... you will find tons of useful apps and games on the Android market. Once you get the hang of the phone, everything will be easy...

Cheers!

Top Bottom