MOTO G Review..!!

anky

Youngling
hello friends..:)
after waiting for about 2-3 months, finally ordered my moto g on the launch day..(was lucky enough to place my order at 12:06 am that day only)
ordered 16 GB version along with Red back cover on 6th feb and got my mobile on 10th feb (sunday).
Got all the offers of launch day. Total price = 14000 + 270 = 14270
it was first time i had ordered mobile though flipkart and packaging was brilliant with two bubble wraps packing the box.
DSC_0010.jpg
box is so small...loved it..!!..and red back cover is just beautiful ..!!..
and when i opened the box...
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg
it is absolutely stunning..!!...most beautiful mobile i have ever seen...really its beauty can't be seen truly from images..also the back side looks wonderful..
DSC_0014.jpg
it just look beautiful...and it looks very premium device...looks like a very costly phone..!

Box included -
Mobile (in built battery)
Charger (without detachable usb cable)
Earphones

Moto g specs-

• 5 MP Primary Camera and 1.3 MP Secondary Camera
  • 4.5-inch HD Display
  • HD Recording
  • Wi-Fi Enabled
  • 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Quad Core Processor and 1 GB RAM
  • Dual SIM (GSM + GSM)
  • 16 GB Internal Memory
  • Android v4.3 (Jelly Bean) OS

then i turned on the phone, even its boot animation is very nice..!..
**Now kikkat OTA update is available and i have upgraded to kikkat..
after quickly setting up my phone..

1.Absolutely no lags what so ever, i was downloading and updating apps from wifi and was also playing games after downloading, but no lags what so ever...feels really nice after using Xperia go which i previously owned.

2.Superb display...very crisp text..but personally i don't like those 3 buttons inside the screen itself, there is much space below the screen, they could have placed it there only..but again that is also a point which may have reduced the cost..Screen is though finger print magnet..but no scratch till now..looks just new after a wipe with cloth..:)
*after kikkat - transparent status bar and three buttons on bottoms, that bar is also transparent which gives more portion of your screen visible.
Screenshot_2014-02-14-23-12-43.jpg

3.Loud speaker quality is very good..very loud..good for playing music and u can hear ringtone in loud environment, and i got very nice call quality as well.No distortion.
*after kikkat - Audio quality is even more better.In 4.3 there was a volume level bug (volume gets very close to inaudible at about 70-60% of volume bar), it has been resolved

4.Gaming performance - i downloaded games like subway surfers, angry birds go (racing game), death moot 2, tennis 3d and these all are running without any problem.Very smooth performance.Asphalt 8 airborne running smoothly at high settings..!!..amazing performance..!
*after kikkat - not much noticeable difference, but yes it has become more smoother.will update more about this in next 2-3 days.

5.Multitasking - Switching between apps is quick and fast, not so fast if many apps are opened but not so slow that it may seem like a problem. I was switching between fb, whatsapp, game, playstore, messaging and settings without any problem.
*after kikkat - it is very fast (i am not using ART), but still very fast and quick.

6. Camera - it was being said that camera is not upto the mark, but i found camera quality to be decent enough, it takes pictures fast and quickly.Some camera samples are (from auto expo, total artificial light)

IMG_20140210_172956709.jpg
IMG_20140210_163340524.jpg

*above pics are as it was taken by camera. not edited

Video recording is very nice, and u can click pictures while recording videos.I have not tried slow motion recording yet.

*after kitkat - MAJOR increase in camera performance IMO.Specially auto focus has become real quick.Much faster than it was in 4.3, and image quality is also increased lil bit.Below are the pics clicked after 4.4 upgrade(low light is because of weather, cloudy weather)

*s3.postimg.org/x7s1ki18f/IMG_20140215_102912200.jpg

*s3.postimg.org/zb2gs611b/IMG_20140215_102928269.jpg

*s3.postimg.org/4w6hnghbz/IMG_20140215_102952671_HDR.jpg

7. Earphones provided are not so good, just okay for calling purpose only.I would recommend using other earphones for music. we are lucky that we got charger and earphones (which are not provide in some other countries) and price is still so low.

8.charging is slow, but i read somewhere that after some recharge cycles it will charge faster or it maybe the 550 mA charger.but its okay..u cant have everything best in this range..:p

9.Battery backup - i left at 6 am with 94 percent battery and used the phone for gaming(half an hour), movie(half an hour) internet (3-4 hrs) and clicked about 150 picturs and 4-5 videos recording and next day 5 am, it was 27 percent.So as of now, battery backup is excellent, it can easily last a day with medium to heavy usage..
*after kikkat - Major increase in backup time. battery backup in my case has increased considerably.it was already very good in 4.3 but 4.4 increased it even more. :)

10.Benchmarks - Done on jellybean(stock), antutu score is 16933, slightly more than nexus 4
*after kikkat - antutu score is 17545.

So over all i am very happy with my phone..!!..it is just so beautiful!!..absolutely gorgeous ...Clearly the best phone under 15-16 thousand you can buy..!!..

pls note that this is my first review ever, and if anything is missing pls telll me ..i will update it ASAP..
thank you...fell free to ask anything..:)

Attachments

• IMG_20140210_155416428_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140210_155416428_HDR.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20140210_161856590_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140210_161856590_HDR.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20140210_163336210_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140210_163336210_HDR.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
nicely written :)

2.Superb display...very crisp text..but personally i don't like those 3 buttons inside the screen itself, there is much space below the screen, they could have placed it there only..but again that is also a point which may have reduced the cost..

Immersive Mode to the rescue. Part of Android Kitkat.

*above pics are as it was taken by camera. not edited

read there is some enhancement settings (after clicking the pic). Have you tried that? Pic quality is not the best but under 15k can't expect more.

pls note that this is my first review ever, and if anything is missing pls telll me ..i will update it ASAP..

3rd pic has something missing. please update it if you can :grin:

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
nicely written :)
thanks..:)

read there is some enhancement settings (after clicking the pic). Have you tried that? Pic quality is not the best but under 15k can't expect more.
yeah i have tried that but that is means editing the pic..so i just wanted to show original picture quality.There is just hdr mode which slightly increases quality.

3rd pic has something missing. please update it if you can :grin:
another pic added..:p

Last edited:

Superayush

Tech lover
Nice review anky how was the call quality of the phone,did u face any heating issues while playing graphic intensive games? Have u dropped ur phone?if yea how did it fare?

toofan

Technomancer
Congrats Anky. YOu are among the luck ones who ordered in time. I was sleeping that night and next morning It was a history. :)

Nice review anky how was the call quality of the phone,did u face any heating issues while playing graphic intensive games? Have u dropped ur phone?if yea how did it fare?

Why you want his new phone to be dropped. ;D

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
call quality of phone is very nice...but with full volume..voice shatters a lil bit..just a lil..just keep one point low volume for calls...and no i have not dropped my phone (at least for now :p)...but i have been using it without screen guard and not a single scratch/mark on the screen..and build quality is also very good..it fells solid..:)

Congrats Anky. YOu are among the luck ones who ordered in time. I was sleeping that night and next morning It was a history. :)

thanks..:)..i was so waiting for this phone..i did not want to take any chances..so i started trying before 12 and ordered..

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hey anky, update the review (or comparison) with kitkat performance in camera, audio, gaming performance, battery backup or anything that you find have changed. specially if you have camera images from around your place that you can compare for image quality.

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
KITKAT performance review added..and pls ask me if u have any queries, i will be happy to help..:)

$hadow

Geek in making
KITKAT performance review added..and pls ask me if u have any queries, i will be happy to help..:)

After the update what is the battery life like. And can you also tell me about the normal usage and screen time you got.

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
i used wifi for about 1 hr i guess and battery came down from 99 to 87 and after 6-7 hrs of sleep, it was 83, and i have read somewhere that after the upgrade of OS, battery requires 3-4 cycles to work fully functional so i will also post about detail battery usage in 1-2 days.

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
^ i haven't used OTG yet, but i have read it is supported..and there is option of usb disk in storage.so i think it is for that only.

- - - Updated - - -

battery backup is amazing, yesterday when i woke up (8-8:30) my battery level was about 95%, and i used wifi for about 12 hrs, calls for 1-2 hrs(with headphones) and gaming for about 10 mins, and at last at 3:am today my battery was 26%, even my friends are astonished by my phone, its performance and battery backup.

tkin

Back to school!!
Very good review, so far it seems Moto G is a fantastic phone, specially with the fact that its a dual sim phone which is neither very costly(HTC One) or not total cr@p(Samsung Grand), looks the perfect price vs performance combo, the camera is not upto the mark but for 14k expecting that would be a crime, display is crisp, the CPU/GPU combo can keep up with day to day tasks, battery backup is good no doubt.

One question to all, now that Motorola belongs to lenovo will day one android upgrades still come to it?

Top Bottom