Motherboard + CPU + RAM on a 10K budget!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainly for numerics, browsing the internet.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 10K max. Can't extend.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit in dual boot.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I already have a HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: HDD (250 GB + 1 TB), SMPS(el cheapo 450 W from Frontech), Keyboard + Mouse Combo from Microsoft, Monitor. I am also planning to reuse my cabinet.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 1 week.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yup, will be done by me.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata. Will buy from Ganesh Chandra Avenue or Amazon/Flipkart, depending on who gives me a better deal.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: My old PC with DG33FB motherboard shorted out yesterday. My el cheapo SMPS is working fine now. So should I keep using it, or invest more and get a branded SMPS from Corsair/Antec, considering that I am on a tight budget? Also can I reuse my old cabinet? The most important thing, I can't extend my budget.

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
Gigabyte h61m-s2 p r3 motherboard - Rs 3200
Intel g2030 cpu- Rs 3500
4 gb Corsair value Ram-Rs 1700
(optional)Antec bp450PS psu -Rs 2000

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
As you're on a tight budget,i suggest that you stick with intel-amd's offerings in the budget segment aren't nearly as efficient or cost effective as that of intel's.As the sole purpose of your rig is number crunching and browsing the internet,the above config will suit you just fine.

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
Guys I have decided to go with the following config.

Motherboard : GA-H81M-S1 / GA-H81M-S
CPU : G3240 / G3220
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
PSU : Antec BP450P / Antec VP450P / Corsair VS450 / Corsair VS350

Now I have a couple of question.

1. There is no difference between the S and the S1 motherboard, except for the shifting of the external I/O ports. So which one should I get?

2. Secondly, I'll run one 250 GB @ 7200 HDD, one 1 TB @ 7200. And possible future upgrade would be a 2 TB @ 7200. So which power supply should I go for, among the options that I have listed? And also what is the absolute maximum wattage required keeping in mind my future upgrades.

3. Lastly the CPU specification lists that it can support a maximum of 1333 MHz clocked RAM module. So will a 1600 MHz RAM module be an issue.

P.S. I'll go for any one of the CPU's depending on the availability.

Last edited:

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=118176]paul.soumyabrata[/MENTION],

The S1 MOBO is the upgraded version of S model. The internal HDD drives work on the 5V to 12V, based on the model. In my opinion, for basic Intel configuration; there is no need for High wattage PSU. For ease of mind and future proof rig, I would suggest you to go with the high wattage PSU like 450W. With that in future, you can upgrade the other peripheral components like SSD, HDD and GPU.

For RAM setup, all the sticks will need to run at the same voltage, speed and timings. If any one of the statics are different to each other in settings, then the RAM channel configuration shows as incompatible or it will unrecognized by the MOBO.

In your case, you might need to set the RAM speed a bit to compensate for the new setup.

Good Luck.

PentiumD

Broken In
Gigabyte GA-J1800M-D2P-IN Motherboard - Buy Gigabyte GA-J1800M-D2P-IN Motherboard Online at Low Price in India - Snapdeal

you can buy this motherboard & processor combo which costs 4000

Gigabyte GA-J1800M-D2P-IN Motherboard with Intel Dual-Core Celeron J1800 SoC (2.41 GHz)

As suggested by others, go for corsair RAM 4GB 1700

total cost 5700

you can even add a branded PSU within your 10k budget

Top Bottom