more than one os bad for pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
if i have multiple os-es in my pc does that harm pc health? once a system assembler told me this. but i dint believe that but still wanna verify.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Of course not,

I have Windows XP and MandrakeLinux 10.1 on separate partitions. They have not given me any problems at all.

Last edited:

champ_rock

champ_rock
it is just like having more data on ur disk.. ur hard disk not know how many os u have...

i dont think that having more os is any problem but it can cause a space storage problem...

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
in fact its better. one corruption and u're in trouble. with two OS's, at least u can work, maybe back up ur data. and both on different drives doesnt make up a lot of difference.

reddragon

In the zone
No problem at all because to a hard disk it is all raw data made of voltage differences and u r making everything logically..........

mediator

Technomancer
Yea Having more Oses is infact better coz it takes care of ur partition on which it is installed.... i mean constantly checks it, repairs for corrupted data and alarms u if something wrong happens!

vikasg03

Journeyman
hy
in my system there r 5 OS. namely--> ,XP,2000 server,2000 professional,98 and DOS. still i hv no problem. each one is for specific task.
vikas

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The answer is NO!
I hv heard so many times from my friends that their system assembler refused to install Windows 98/Linux on their system coz it may damage the computer and very harmful! :D

The reason behind is that those system assembler don't know how to install Linux thats why they said such Nonsense things!

And about windows 98 they said so bcoz they hv to install mobo drivers after installing windows 98 and sometimes they don't hv the mobo CD...

So final answer is that there is no problem in installing more than 1 OS on ur comp.
I think each member here would hv at least 2 OS installed on his comp...

OP
Generic Superhero

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
ya i myself have 3 on mine. and going by logic, i find no reason to believe the assembler. still i thought i would resolve this on digit forum :)

i heard at least 2 such people telling this. (since that happened a long time ago when i was not equipped with enough tech gyan, i could not argue with him :(). Now as to why they say like this.... the answer has been given by Vishal Gupta -- correct observation.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Problems? Never. I have had 4 OS'es on my hard disk at one time. 3 of them were totally different - Windows XP, Ubuntu linux, mandriva 2006.0 and FreeBSD 6.0. And they were working well and fine. Only problem was I started running out of disc space with my 40GB hard disk.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
QwertyManiac said:
How'd you even get that idea? :D :p

System assemblers = tech fools of india :lol:

Nothing cud have put it better ROTFL

@ tech_your_future

3 OSs and same problem here too but rather I find my PC more stable than as was with single os no formatting for last 6 months

mehulved

kumarmohit said:
@ tech_your_future

3 OSs and same problem here too but rather I find my PC more stable than as was with single os no formatting for last 6 months
I do keep on formatting cos I like trying out new OS'es and linux distros. But, I have stuck to Ubuntu for quite sometime but alas it's time for it to go cos I need to move on to better things and learn more.

sms_solver

In the zone
Having two operating system is not bad thing, it give you more choice.

I am been using Windows XP Prof installed in two separate partition. I only use one Win XP to browse the net.

One can reduce the load to the OS by installing different applications in each partition.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Everybody should have one windows os and another linux os on his pc. it is a must considering the vulnerability of windows to viruses and other malicious software. If windows goes kaput, you can work with linux.

mehulved

Ramakrishnan said:
Everybody should have one windows os and another linux os on his pc. it is a must considering the vulnerability of windows to viruses and other malicious software. If windows goes kaput, you can work with linux.
I beg to differ. Very soon I will get rid of windows and stay with Linux and FreeBSD. Windows is mainly for gamers and those who are windows fanatics. I don't play games so no place for windows anymore on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom