Monitor turns off in about 30-45 seconds after system start, then keeps turning on/off

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
Im getting this issue all on a sudden in my 4year old PC. After I start, the system boots as usual and proceeds to launch the OS. Monitor turns on after a single beep. However, it turns off after 30-45 seconds irrespective of the current state of the system (loading OS, prompting for password, even in BIOS). Then it keeps turning on after 30-45 seconds, stays for 30-45 seconds and again goes off. All this time the other components (processor, graphics card etc) keep running.
What can be the source of this problem? Is it the monitor, graphics card, or something else? I've been scratching my head for a day trying to figure it out. Please help guys. :(

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
What does "ON" mean?
Do you get to see actual display or only the monitor light becoming green/blue?

If you get to see display then the issue could be with your GFX card.

If no display, first test your monitor if its getting signal from GFX card.
Then check if there is no loose connection.
At last few home remedies are change CMOS battery and change RAM slots

If nothing works, may be its time to call the servicing guy.

OP
AVSEQ

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
did you disable the gfx card & check the issue on onboard display?

Well my motherboard (Asus P5Q) doesn't have an onboard graphics sadly :(

- - - Updated - - -

What does "ON" mean?
Do you get to see actual display or only the monitor light becoming green/blue?

If you get to see display then the issue could be with your GFX card.

If no display, first test your monitor if its getting signal from GFX card.
Then check if there is no loose connection.
At last few home remedies are change CMOS battery and change RAM slots

If nothing works, may be its time to call the servicing guy.

Well by ON I mean I'm getting the actual PC display output and the indicator light is green. When it goes OFF, the actual display goes black and the indicator light is also off (not orange as I would expect). However, if I start the UPS and NOT press the start button in cabinet, the indicator light stays orange as expected.

I've tried resetting the CMOS battery (pull out and put in again), exchanged the RAM slots, tried running with a single memory slot... nothing changes.

I'm unable to check with another monitor or graphics card, as all my friends use laptops (bummer!)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Did you test the monitor alone?

The classic method of sending only power signal but removing data cable?

What does it show?

OP
AVSEQ

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
Did you test the monitor alone?

The classic method of sending only power signal but removing data cable?

What does it show?

Just tried... the display turned on (showing DELL logo and green indicator) and showed NO DVI-D CABLE for some 15-20 secs. Then it went off (black display and blank indicator). After 25-30 seconds it again turned on (showing DELL logo and green indicator) and showed the same error message. This keeps repeating.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I think your Monitor is not working properly. If its still under warranty you can get it replaced for free if not contact DELL support.
They will guide you on what to do.

abhidev

Human Spambot
i too had the same problem....my pc would start along with the monitor...after few mins the monitor would turn off but the pc still is on...tried reconnecting the monitor for possible loose connection...and it works fine now

OP
AVSEQ

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
I tried that but didn't help. I even disconnected my DVI cable and tried using a VGA cable... same problem. :(

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
the monitor's indicator light also turning off suggests problem with the monitor itself, as does the subsequent test without connecting the PC to it.

OP
AVSEQ

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
the monitor's indicator light also turning off suggests problem with the monitor itself, as does the subsequent test without connecting the PC to it.
Interestingly, if I connect to the graphics card's DVI port but not turn on the PC, the indicator light doesn't show this abnormality, which earlier led me to believe that the issue was with graphics card itself.
I'll contact the DELL customer care today.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Im getting this issue all on a sudden in my 4year old PC. After I start, the system boots as usual and proceeds to launch the OS. Monitor turns on after a single beep. However, it turns off after 30-45 seconds irrespective of the current state of the system (loading OS, prompting for password, even in BIOS). Then it keeps turning on after 30-45 seconds, stays for 30-45 seconds and again goes off. All this time the other components (processor, graphics card etc) keep running.
What can be the source of this problem? Is it the monitor, graphics card, or something else? I've been scratching my head for a day trying to figure it out. Please help guys. :(

Is your Monitor still under warranty ?
you will have to pay charges if warranty is over

OP
AVSEQ

AVSEQ

Addicted to Gaming
Is your Monitor still under warranty ?
you will have to pay charges if warranty is over

My warranty has expired. I called their customer care yesterday. The representative said that they do not provide repairing option for out-of-warranty monitors, even if I agree to pay, and asked me to get it repaired from some local technician. I asked if she can refer me to some technician, but she was unable to refer to one. (bummer!!)

I'm looking for a technician... are these JustDial or Sulekha results any good?

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
sulekha usually contacts you back with the asked for details if you place your request with them. what place are you from?

also, do check you gfx card once in the PC of any friend.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
My warranty has expired. I called their customer care yesterday. The representative said that they do not provide repairing option for out-of-warranty monitors, even if I agree to pay, and asked me to get it repaired from some local technician. I asked if she can refer me to some technician, but she was unable to refer to one. (bummer!!)

I'm looking for a technician... are these JustDial or Sulekha results any good?

Yes, that's a Harsh truth about out of warranty..even Acer doesnot provide support for expired warranty :-x
but I think LG provides that with a charges :mrgreen:

now your only hope is local repair guy.

and from your problem I think a capacitor needs to be replaced.

Top Bottom