Monitor and PSU Doubt...

msaiashwin

Journeyman
Which of one these PSU's should I buy. I am basically buying a ASUS gtx 580 DirectCUII and want a min of 850w for future proofing it.

1. Corsair HX850
2. Corsair AX850( HX850 vs AX850.. Is AX850 worth the price difference?)
3. Corsair HX1000(price?)

For the monitors I have shortlisted the below. Not too keen on an IPS because of slow response teime in Gaming(Most application) but have shortlisted one. please give ur views on the flg displays.

1. Samsung PX2370
2. Viewsonic VX2450wm
3. Viewsonic VX2739wm(price?)
4. Dell U2410H

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
for monitors, I would go with U2410H among those that are listed.

for PSU, HX850 should be enough but you can go for AX850 if budget permits. It has better efficiency.

AX850: 80 PLUS Gold certified PSU with 90% efficiency
HX850: 80 PLUS Bronze certified PSu with 80% efficiency

lordirecto

In the zone
@OP: Can you tell me the prices of
1. Corsair HX850
2. Corsair AX850
3. Corsair HX1000

I recently bought a Glacialtech 950W PSU @ 7900. So take a look at it if you want the most bang for buck. But if you are a Corsair fan, then I am sure you will buy Corsair.

As for monitor, I think you do have some idea about IPS. Are you looking for a 24" monitor specifically?

OP
M

msaiashwin

Journeyman
@lordirecto: Hi, I have been keeping a track on ur posts since u started using this forum, as I am buying a config similar to yours.

Comin to IPS i do have an idea, ie better viewing angles, true colours, extra sharpness etc. But compaitely lower response time compared to TN panels. My purpose is mainly Gaming and watching HD movies so I dont consider buying IPS panels which i feel is for designers and Modelling purpose.

For monitor i can spare upto 15-20k. So whatever I get in this range I shall buy. So I thought of also considering the Viewsonic 27 inch. Its mostly a 24 inch. If i can get the 27 inch i can buy it.

Comin to prices of PSU's(approx prices)
1. Corsair HX850- 9.5k(80% Silver)
2. Corsair AX850- 11.5k(80% Gold)
3. Corsair HX1000- 14.5k (80% silver)

lordirecto

In the zone
@msai: Wow, I did not know people were following my posts :D

I think you can go in for Dell's 24" monitor(or any size greater than that, which also is within your budget), just go to their web site and you will be able to see what are in production at the moment. I feel Dell has a good quality and also a decent after sales support. To be honest, I have only seen my friends use Dell monitors, and so I do not have a first hand experience with them.
Personally, I bought a BenQ E2220 HD, as that was the one that was within my budget and offered a full HD display. I do not know about its performance yet as I am waiting for my mobo.
As for Viewsonic, I have seen some internet cafes use them, but only the 17 or 19" versions. So please ask other members about its performance.

About the PSU, GlacialTech 950W also has a 80% efficiency. I do not understand what those Silver, Gold stand for, unfortunately. From a price point of view, it still is cheaper than Corsair 850W and also offers a better power rating. Feel free to choose the one you like.

EDIT: I just referred the GlacialTech manual, I found that the PSU is 80 PLUS SILVER, what ever that means.

OP
M

msaiashwin

Journeyman
@lordirecto: how long will it take for you to get the b3 stepping board? Also wat is the ram you are purchasing? Should i purchase corsair vengeance or dominator? Is a h70 required for sandy bridge(i guess you have purchased it)? I am buying a cooler master v6gt as i like its looks..

masterkd

Padawan
I'm personally using ViewSonic for 4 years and I'm satisfied with the performance of the monitor and ViewSonic support and service..still IMO some others are better!!

I just referred the GlacialTech manual, I found that the PSU is 80 PLUS SILVER, what ever that means.

80 Plus: | At least 80% efficiency @ all stated loads & a PFC of .90 at 100% load.
80 Plus Bronze: | At least 82% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 85% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.
80 Plus Silver: | At least 85% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 88% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.
80 Plus Gold: | At least 87% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 90% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.

lordirecto

In the zone
@lordirecto: Should i purchase corsair vengeance or dominator? I

Both the RAM series is meant for overclockers. But the Dominator GT is also meant for Ultra-enthusiasts. If you plan to overclock, then you can go in for any of those memories, which will also cost you a premium.

I got a total of 8GB G.Skill RAM. I originally intended to get 4 sticks of 2GB(which cost me 5100 Rs.), but SMC decided for me that I should get 2 sticks of 4GB. And I am happy that I got the same capacity without paying 300 bucks extra :D

If you plan to overclock, then going for a liquid cooling solution will help a lot and will give you a stable temperature. Cooler Master V6 GT you say? Honestly, it has great looks, but not equal functionality. I should point out that looks are not going to keep your processor temperature down(read noise levels).
If you need a push-pull configuration air cooled heatsink, then going for Noctua(errrr, sorry I forgot the exact model, but you can find it in my thread) will give you both the performance you need as well as a good bang for buck.

From the reviews I have seen, second generation i series processors are great when it comes to temperature. If you do not plan to overclock, then the stock cooler is more than enough. You can still go in for a after market air cooler like Noctua or V6 GT to keep temperatures really low.
Corsair H70 is also a good option when you plan to over clock. Yes, I have the H70 right in front me, on my desk.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

80 Plus: | At least 80% efficiency @ all stated loads & a PFC of .90 at 100% load.
80 Plus Bronze: | At least 82% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 85% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.
80 Plus Silver: | At least 85% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 88% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.
80 Plus Gold: | At least 87% @ 20% and 100% loads, at least 90% @ 50% load & a PFC of .90 at 50% load.

Great! Thanks for the info dude!!

EDIT: Some of the forum members from Mumbai are telling that the B3 stepping is already available in the market(they have also bought it). Since I ordered from Delhi, my vendor has told me that it will atleast take the 1st week of April for B3 stepping to arrive.
I do know this sounds stupid, but I am not able to do anything with SMC as of now.

Last edited:

ankit0_0

Broken In
for gaming TN would be better than IPS px2370 is a nice monitor but seems a bit overpriced at 14k
asus ML238H with a response time of 2 ms and will cost somewhere between 11-12k
Viewsonic VX2739wm will cost you around 24 -25 k

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
PX2370 is great for 13-14k.

Dell U2410 is 27k-30k. :lol:

@Ankit0_0
His budget is 15k-20k and size is as large as possible.

OP
M

msaiashwin

Journeyman
guys i also had a very good experience with viewsonic...right now i have a viewsonic vg1930wm which is a great monitor and has never let me down..and now good news is viewsonic is handled by rashi peripherals...i dont know what people think of rashi but i always had a very good experience with them...my old 8800gts 320mb died and they replaced we with a brand new xfx 9800gtx+which i have right now... But now samsung px2370 is great monitor and viewsonic vx2450wm is also a great monitor...so in a fix

ankit0_0

Broken In
none of the 27 inch monitors are in the range of 15-20k so u can go for the best 24 inch monitor available
look out for a TN with less response time

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
guys i also had a very good experience with viewsonic...right now i have a viewsonic vg1930wm which is a great monitor and has never let me down..and now good news is viewsonic is handled by rashi peripherals...i dont know what people think of rashi but i always had a very good experience with them...my old 8800gts 320mb died and they replaced we with a brand new xfx 9800gtx+which i have right now... But now samsung px2370 is great monitor and viewsonic vx2450wm is also a great monitor...so in a fix

If you personally had no issues with ViewSonic, go for vx2450wm but do note that the experience is model specific. The reason I usually suggest Dell is the better and easier service model that they have and the uniform reliability across the monitor lineup.

d3p

PowerHouse
@OP: If budget is not a concern then try Acer 243HL LED HD monitor- 23" Full HD & Ultra Fast response time of 2ms.

Price - 12-14k

Link : *www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=176&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

ankit0_0

Broken In
px2370 seems to be a good choice considering the fact that samsung has better service than asus in india and its a nice monitor

Top Bottom