Discussion: Mobile Internet Experience thread

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I think there should be a thread dedicated to the mobile internet experience.

Currently using Airtel 3G network (prepaid) and speeds are good when activated with a 3G plan. Else the speed is about 60-80 kbps. When on proper 3G plan I do get 2-4 Mbps. speeds are low in highly populated areas like Whitefield (about 1Mbps). where as at my home in north Bangalore I get up to 4 Mbps.

another reason why I created this thread is that I recharged my phone with Airtel 249 Plan, which gives me 1Gb of data. but I noticed that speeds were for low (60kbps). I checked with Airtel CC and came to know that my "3G Speeds" were not "activated" in their server and would be resolved by 3.30 Tomorrow (which is unacceptable). Please share your experience and thoughts.

PS: @Mods: I wasn't sure if this thread has to go in the Mobile or Internet Session. As this is session is manually approved; please move to proper session :)

Naxal

Little Kid
another reason why I created this thread is that I recharged my phone with Airtel 249 Plan, which gives me 1Gb of data. but I noticed that speeds were for low (60kbps). I checked with Airtel CC and came to know that my "3G Speeds" were not "activated" in their server and would be resolved by 3.30 Tomorrow (which is unacceptable). Please share your experience and thoughts.

I didnt get this part.

May be some internal settings are there, as 2G / 3G networks are different and if you are getting speeds over 25/30 kbps, it means you are in a 3G network as 2G doesnt have the technical limits to provide such speeds.

Speed is really a subjective issue.

I use 3G with Vodafone in Kolkata, really hard to say when its giving what.

Its pointless for me to use it for my laptop as costing is too high. Incase of mobile usage, 50/60 or 120kbps, normal browsing feels more or less the same.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I have used Reliance GSM (2G/3G), Airtel 2G, Vodafone 2G. Airtel was best in GPRS department back in days of 2005-09, I used to get constantly DL speeds of 29KB/s, which is approximate max for a GPRS connection. But after that Airtel wasn't the same. 3G (in reliance) gave ~2-3mbps.

One thing I'd like to say- Almost all the operators have reduced their 2G speed to promote 3G plans (after launch of 3G services).

Also, I don't know why but I get less speed when I use 3G in my mobile rather when I use it through dongle.

Top Bottom