Missing HDD Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry

Broken In
I've winxp Home with SP2 system, yesterday my daughter had installed the program 'MS Plus' from the XP Installation CD which was not installed earlier in the machine. My OS is original, but to-day on opening the system I'm seeing that the icon of Hard Drive (E : Drive) to which the program was installed went missing and in its place another icon (which generally represents for any unidentified file) has taken its place. I request your kind advice to regain HDD icon, please !

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
is it only the icon or the drive itself isnt accessible, if its only the icon then maybe u can try to search the drive if it is shared and if yes disable that and also check if there is any file by the name of autorun.inf in the drive

OP
K

Kerry

Broken In
Well, the drive is accessible and also the newly installed program file opens normally while only the icon of the concerned drive is not there. Yes, there is one file in the drive 'Autorun setup information' where it is mentioned as [autorun]
icon=setup.exe,1
open=setup.exe

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
.....and also check if there is any file by the name of autorun.inf in the drive
this looks like the problem. jus check for it and delete. follow these steps:

goto start>run. type "cmd" (widout quotes) and press enter. now type, "e:" in the command prompt windows and press enter. now change its attributes by typing "attirb -r -a -s -h autorun.inf" it it exists then the command will complete. if not then it'll give an error msg and you can stop here. if its there then delete the file, by typing "del e:\autorun.inf" and press enter. jus refresh the explorer window and check if this solved ur problem.

slugger

Banned
Kerry said:
Well, the drive is accessible and also the newly installed program file opens normally while only the icon of the concerned drive is not there. Yes, there is one file in the drive 'Autorun setup information' where it is mentioned as [autorun]
icon=setup.exe,1
open=setup.exe
well it is bcos of that file

d icon=setup.exe basically refers to using d same icon as is used by d file setup.exe to represent d drive (e: in ur case)
so if u want den u can simply delete dat file as infra_red_dude said (afaik a simple delete will also work) and in ur next logon u will se ur e: drive respresented by its origianl icon (i doubt dat a simple refresh will work, 'cause dat icon is displayed is part of d OS shell)

and since u r getting dat strange icon it means dat d file setup.exe is also not present in d desired location
so no point keepin d Autorun setup information file
serves no purpose ;)

OP
K

Kerry

Broken In
infra_red_dude said:
this looks like the problem. jus check for it and delete. follow these steps:

goto start>run. type "cmd" (widout quotes) and press enter. now type, "e:" in the command prompt windows and press enter. now change its attributes by typing "attirb -r -a -s -h autorun.inf" it it exists then the command will complete. if not then it'll give an error..............."

After typing your advised command, it shows that 'attirb is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Hence nothing could be done

slugger

Banned
y dont u just do a simple deleta and c wat happens (u need 2 log off and den logon b4 cing d change)

Kerry said:
T-h-a-n-k you very much, I've deleted that file and restarted n it worked. Thanks a lot!!!

u r welcome :)

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
oops!!! sorry! make that "attrib" :)

yeah a simple delete will also do but he'll hafta enable the show hidden files and also system files. if he forgets to disable that then it mebbe dangerous for other system files.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kerry

Broken In
slugger said:
y dont u just do a simple deleta and c wat happens (u need 2 log off and den logon b4 cing d change)

T-h-a-n-k you very much, I've deleted that file and restarted n it worked. Thanks a lot!!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ nice to hear ur prob's solved :) but plz don't forget to disable the "hide system files" option in tools>options in an explorer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom