Migrating from Windows to Linux...Requirements???

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
Hey guys.

I've got an HP d260MT system. Its specs are: Celeron D 2.06Ghz proc, 1GB DDR Ram, 40+40GB HDD.

I've got Windows XP Prof SP2 running on it. I can't stand Windows, but shifting to Linux in the past has prooved disastrous because I cannot sit still with just one distribution cause there is always something missing.

I hope that you guys can help me out. Difficulties that I have faced are:
1. A proper PC Suite for my W700i cell.
2. Responsiveness of the system.
3. My USB pendrive(Zion) does not get detected.

I like Open Suse 10.3, but I'm scared that it might hog resources.

Please Help Me...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'd suggest Ubuntu Ultimate or OpenSUSE 10.3. Both are good distros. If installation of something on opensuse is buggin you then you can go thru this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76971

1) Wammu/Gammu is prolly enough for W700i, at least thats what I use.
2) Shouldn't bee a problem with your config. Which gfx card do you haf?
3) No idea about Zion ones but every flash drive I've connected to my Ubuntu install has worked without hitches (sandisk, kingston, transcend, lexar, msi etc.)

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
I'd suggest Ubuntu Ultimate or OpenSUSE 10.3. Both are good distros. If installation of something on opensuse is buggin you then you can go thru this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76971

1) Wammu/Gammu is prolly enough for W700i, at least thats what I use.
2) Shouldn't bee a problem with your config. Which gfx card do you haf?
3) No idea about Zion ones but every flash drive I've connected to my Ubuntu install has worked without hitches (sandisk, kingston, transcend, lexar, msi etc.)

Well, thanks, will check out Ubuntu Ultimate.
Will check out Wammu/Gammu too.
As for my graphics card, my system has only its onboard 865G graphics controller. Xgl and compiz have worked with my system. it does go slow sometimes but its manageable.
Well, as for the USB issue, non seem to work, including Kingston. We have Open Suse 10.2 installed in our computer dept at college and no pendrives work out there.

Ne suggestions???

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
is the USB port working fine?
If yes then do the following
1) Open a terminal
2) Insert a pen drive
3 Type the following in the terminal
Code:
tail /var/log/dmesg
Post the output here.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Well, as for the USB issue, non seem to work, including Kingston. We have Open Suse 10.2 installed in our computer dept at college and no pendrives work out there.
Causes:

1) Bad usb port.
2) Bad usb connecting cable, if any.
3) Usb drives are blocked by the admin.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
Now those are good possiblities. Thanx. Will try the suggestions. But my options are now down to either installing Open Suse10.3 or Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 1.5.

I am biased towards Open Suse because OO has been modified with MS$ code so is more compatible to operations that may be possible within MS office suites. (I don't know it that makes much sense. Hope you guys get the idea.) Plus Open suse has plenty of choice and is a more proffesional distro.

The problem is getting the broadband connection to reach my PC. I'm also scared of it being too heavy on my system. What do you guys think?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
All your MS Office files will work in the Oo.org present in ubuntu 7.10, including MS Office 2007 files. I have used Word 2007 and Excel 2007 files with it. Though you can only read from them and not save in Office 2007 formats.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
All your MS Office files will work in the Oo.org present in ubuntu 7.10, including MS Office 2007 files. I have used Word 2007 and Excel 2007 files with it. Though you can only read from them and not save in Office 2007 formats.

Thats all ok. what about Open Suse 10.2?

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
Anyone has any infor on Open Suse 10.3??? Is it good? Stabilitywise?

OK Let me change the topic of the discussion, which OS do you think would suit my PC best??? Stability and Performance is a requirement. I get really fed up with Windows getting stuck up while shifting from one Program to another.
My options:
1. Install Open Suse 10.3
2. Install Ubuntu Ultimate 1.5
3. Install Ubuntu 7.10 plain and then install the add-ons...???

Last edited:
OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
Both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE are equally competent and will run fine on your system. Now its all upto your choice :)

K I tried Ubuntu. Even installed mac4Lin. The whole thing, including the mac menu etc...

I also enabled compiz effects that gave me expo and Vista's Flip 3d effects...But I feel like its a toy. Plus the virtual terminals seem to be missing.
It doesn't feel like a distro I can stick with and be proud of.

So :) I am shifting today to Open Suse 10.3

praka123

left this forum longback
@antony:I think if ur like me who doesnot care much for eyecandy,try Debian Lenny or sid man!it works like a charm.with suse,the updates and package management sucks esp yast can be unpredictable sometimes;i meant it fails to recognize and configure options which it dont know!

also Debian/Ubuntu gets the best community support which suse never have!

*www.debian.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom