Microsoft's Tactics pushed ELCOT towards Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
One of India's 28 states plans to distribute 100,000 Linux laptops to students there. It sounds like Tamil Nadu's volume purchasing agent decided to use Linux exclusively after being put off by Microsoft's bundling tactics for academic users.
Source

Last edited by a moderator:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Re: Miccrosoft's Tactics pushed ELCOT towards Linux

Is that over-confidence? or have then been overwhelmed because linux is free? or are the decision makes fanboys?
Linux OS does not attract viruses nor does it have security holes.
*www.elcot.in/NewStudentLaptop/index.php

BTW its gonna cost about Rs.30 K...

[Note: Please do not make transform this thread into flamewar or OS bashing thread]

lywyre

Cyborg Agent

@rohan: The source also quotes:
"ELCOT has been using SUSE Linux and Ubuntu Linux operating systems on desktop and laptop computers numbering over 2,000 during the past two years and found them far superior as compared to other operating systems, notably the Microsoft Operating System."

Also:
At the same time, ELCOT reserves the right to change its mind. "Microsoft India is yet to provide the revised offer ([of $12 per copy] for its operating system and debundling its current offer to fix the price of its office suite and anti virus software). Once we receive Microsoft's revised offer which is acceptable to ELCOT, we would get back to you with our offer for Microsoft products."

More at:*www.elcot.in/NewStudentLaptop/index.php

P.S: Maverick340, If possible change the Microsoft spelling in the title

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer

They are literally doing this firewalk thing! OMFG. Are they gonna trample every machine!

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Is that over-confidence?

or have then been overwhelmed because linux is free?

or are the decision makers fanboys?
*www.elcot.in/NewStudentLaptop/index.php

And then you say:
[Note: Please do not make transform this thread into flamewar or OS bashing thread]
:lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Post reported! Don't beg others to do what you can't do in the first place.:cool:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़

@Cyrus, don't get hyper. My questions are valid even if it was any other OS. So stop transforming every thread to a OS flamewar. Just because I ask of someone is a fanbosy, that does not mean that I am inviting flamewars. So keep your sick flamewars and fanboyism out of this thread. Better force them on your hosting customers like you tried to do it in one in the past. :lol: they *may* oblige to you. and you may have it on your face like you had it in the past :D

they did the right thing :)
but 30k for a student lappy dat gets distributed 4 free is hyper. I would put 20k as a better number for dat.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Is that over-confidence? or have then been overwhelmed because linux is free? or are the decision makes fanboys?

Why would you see the adoptation of Linux as over confidence? I for one welcome it due ot the fact that there are more choices available for the customer. Also SLED 10.1 which they are providing isn't actually free if I recall right.

Suse Linux Enterprise Edition 10.1 with one year free support and unlimited continuous support from ELCOT for three years. DVD media of SLED 10.1 operating system would be provided.

The one year support is like a paid thing if I recall correct. The elcot support is free though.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Why would you see the adoptation of Linux as over confidence? I for one welcome it due ot the fact that there are more choices available for the customer. Also SLED 10.1 which they are providing isn't actually free if I recall right.
I pointed out over-confidence because they said 'Linus OS has no security holes'. It was not related to the fact that are dumping MS and going for Linux.

ROFL... they expect the laptop to pass this test:
Source said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]In evaluating laptop hardware, ELCOT claims to have two primary tests. One is a "fire walk test" that requires laptops to survive being stood and walked upon by 175-pound people. The other -- hopefully easier to pass -- requires that they fully support Linux. [/FONT]
:lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I pointed out over-confidence because they said 'Linus OS has no security holes'. It was not related to the fact that are dumping MS and going for Linux.
Oh I see. The line was kind of cryptic for me so didn;t quite understand.

ROFL... they expect the laptop to pass this test:
*www.elcot.in/NewStudentLaptop/evaluationProcess.php

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It's fine to load Linux provided they can support it through education of students AND teachers. Else all the students will do is install a pirated Windows.
THE END

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Checkt out Software bundles with Elcot Laptop,It Truely Rocks!!!
Yes it does :). Also for 30 k is there a better configuration out there available that comes Pre-Installed with Linux. Please note that Acer comes with Linpus Linux which Sucks big time in my opinion. Further more its not like you get to use a Laptop which could probably bear the weight of a 90 kg dude on it :D.

Yes it does :). Also for 30 k is there a better configuration out there available that comes Pre-Installed with Linux. Please note that Acer comes with Linpus Linux which Sucks big time in my opinion. Further more its not like you get to use a Laptop which could probably bear the weight of a 90 kg dude on it :D.
you can always chuck linpus and install suse. ;)
I guess they use YOU for weight testing :lol:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
you can always chuck linpus and install suse.
I guess they use YOU for weight testing

Look at the software package . Not to mention downloading that stuff would take a load of time itself. Nero Linux isn't free. To me its all about value. I see value in the package hence I wouldn't midn buying it.

Whether they use me for testing or not is not your concern. I doubt anyone is going to be sitting on their laptops. As iMav says Damned if they Do and Damned if they Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom