Microsoft Zune to Hit Stores at $299

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamer

Dreaming is THE art...
Redmond, Wash. - Microsoft is in the process of unveiling to select retailers the first of its line of Zune wearable digital audio players and informed retailers it will offer a single unit this fall, available in three colors at a suggested retail price of $299.

Retailers who have been briefed by Microsoft told TWICE the player will offer Wi-Fi capability, but will require that the portable be connected to a PC for the actual purchase of songs. Retailers, who claimed Microsoft remained “fuzzy” on the Zune’s wireless capability, said only that Zune will allow users to bookmark songs that may be shared via Wi-Fi, but that users cannot purchase songs on the go from the Microsoft Zune Web site.

Both retailers said the player would incorporate a 30GB hard drive. One said the unit’s display screen would be larger than Apple’s iPod models. The retailers were pleased with Microsoft’s feature-per-price package.

One retailer also said that Microsoft plans to continue to support its PlaysForSure licensees, even while it launches its own media Web site and sells its own digital media player, effectively competing with these same licensees.

Microsoft has not yet responded to TWICE inquiries to confirm the Zune details.

Source

Updates:

Zune can play video, and "it looks good". An engineer working at Zune was given the task of playing some videos.
His blog.

Zune will come with some preloaded content, which as of now, is not certain as to what it will be, but will surely be there. (Confirmed by a person who is working in the marketing of Zune, and who is the biggest Zune informer as of now. Might be a marketing tactic too...)

PS: If anyone wants to see the FCC test report given to MS Zune on July 11, 2006, you can go here.

Last edited:

Sykora

I see right through you.
It seems a Microsoft engineer who had A Zune prototype with him was halted an the Zune confiscated when Airport guards didn't recognize the gadget, and thought it was a bomb. Besides, nobody recognizes any mp3 player other than the iPod.

Microsoft also has delayed the video feature, and will release the Zune (at first) with only audio.

G

gxsaurav

lol, what a reason to stop at the airport, didn't recognize it's an mp3 player

feature vice Zune looks good, but nothing new, Zen vision is giving same functioning already, however since it's MS, their software level support in Zune is better then Zen vision for sure, this is something I m only assuming, I hope it's not made like Windows Mobile 2005. By the way, I like none, W810i rocks

With WMP already working true plug & play with playforsure compatible players, zune will be easy even for average joe for sure

& literally I don't like wifi in it, it's just fancy, how many hotspots are out there anyway, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR would have been better, or at least add it's support in Zune

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
gxsaurav said:

& literally I don't like wifi in it, it's just fancy, how many hotspots are out there anyway, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR would have been better, or at least add it's support in Zune
.... its future secure .... thats the way i see it

OP
Dreamer

Dreamer

Dreaming is THE art...
Here is some fodder for the anti-MS people here ;)

*img54.imageshack.us/img54/3232/zunenamingrv0.th.gif

PS: I am neutral about this, but see more positive things in MS than negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom