Microsoft urges Nokia to offer Windows Mobile devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Software giant Microsoft is in discussion with Nokia about plans to have the handset maker add Windows Mobile-powered devices to its portfolio
Virtually all Nokia phones currently run the Symbian operating system and such a move would be a major change for the industry leader. Microsoft’s mobile communications business international marketing director John Starkweather confirmed talks were taking place with Nokia but would not confirm when any announcement would be made.
“They obviously have significant investments in Symbian but there are a lot of places where we have significant synergies and we would love to see the day where those synergies would extend completely with Windows Mobile,” he told IT Wire.
While Nokia phones don’t yet have a Windows OS, they do use a range of other Microsoft software. This includes ActiveSynch for connecting to Exchange Servers and the PlayReady DRM technology used to protect purchased music and video content.
Starkweather said the existing relationship between the two companies was strong and he was enthusiastic about it developing further in the future.
“We work closely with Nokia and we would love to have them go all the way,” he said. “It’s something we talk about all the time.”
His comments come ahead of the giant GSMA Mobile World Conference being held in Barcelona next week.
Many companies use the show as a platform to make major strategic and technology announcements. Nokia CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo is one of the keynote speakers.

Source

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I think Nokia is actually better off without them right now, and Microsoft is just trying, seeing the marketshare of Nokia. I hope Nokia doesn't bite.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
One or two Winmobile based from nokia would be nice, atleast it gives developer a choice.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Another way found by Microsoft for getting funds to buy Yahoo if the deal goes through. I don't want to see that happening

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Another way found by Microsoft for getting funds to buy Yahoo if the deal goes through. I don't want to see that happening
:lol:what logic is that :lol:

on topic as charan said a few models on win mo platform would be great

M$ Mobiles will be good if a few handful of handsets are released, but they are not good for a complete platform makeover because Windows Mobile is one of the most virus ridden, security holed and unstable mobile OSes. Besides, for other guys, Palm, Symbian, etc are familiar territory and Linux is great for high end mobiles(sadly no cheap stuff can run linux).

I am still waiting for Android, the Pocket Linux meets Open Java SDK themed mobile OS, will hit the 5k mobile market as soon as it launches. If it happens, there will be no problems in calling mobiles nano computers.

Pat

Beyond Smart
I have been using Windows-mobile based phones since more than 2 years now..apart from the occasional crash, there are no issues with it.IMO, WM is one of the best OS in its class and I dont think it can be even compared to linux on phones,which is still quite immature on mobile platform! Things may change with android, but presently, linux just does not make the cut!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
M$ Mobiles will be good if a few handful of handsets are released

That's all Microsoft is telling Nokia to do.

Windows Mobile is one of the most virus ridden, security holed and unstable mobile OSes.

Sopurce plz.

Besides, for other guys, Palm, Symbian, etc are familiar territory and Linux is great for high end mobiles(sadly no cheap stuff can run linux).

Wait....how?????

There are only handful of PDS & Phones with Linux in it compared to the vast number of models available with Windows Mobile. Let Android come, Windows Mobile 7 is waiting with a compleately new MinWin based core....muhaahahahah

agreed that linux mobile as of now) is still something like a hack on Linux kernel, as its minimum requirements equal the same of desktop/server linux. but that does not mean it has issues.

The main reason I like linux mobiles is because there is endless customisation options and endless software options available for it, and most of them come free. Look at VLC for example. Can I have it in a Windows Mobile ? Then there is the fact that I can have my PC's terminal even on the mobile. Software developed for linux desktop can often be run on linux mobiles. These are only some of the things that make linux an attractive option for mid range to high end mobiles.

These are only some of the reasons why Linux and Macintosh mobiles(sorry knock the S out) rock.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
For those interested..
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACCESS_Linux_Platform
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmos#Modernization

The Access Linux Platform, sometime referred to as a "next-generation version of the Palm OS" is an open source-based operating system for mobile devices developed and marketed by Access Co., of Tokyo, Japan. The platform includes execution environments for Java, classic Palm OS, and GTK+-based native Linux applications.

Basically palm is moving towards linux

Pat

Beyond Smart
The main reason I like linux mobiles is because there is endless customisation options and endless software options available for it, and most of them come free.

Windows mobile has better community support, better customization options than any linux on "mobile"! And yes, a lot of them are available for free too :)

Checkout xda-developers (thats heaven for windows-mobile phones)!

Look at VLC for example. Can I have it in a Windows Mobile ?
Its not worth porting it to Windows mobile because there are plenty of brilliant media players already available (and free) like TCPMP! Also, there is a port of mplayer (from linux) to windows mobile :)

Then there is the fact that I can have my PC's terminal even on the mobile.
You can do it and a lot more on WM!

Software developed for linux desktop can often be run on linux mobiles.
Its all about effort to port any app! Its not applicable ONLY to linux!

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Windows mobile has a small Software library as compared to the Symbian
platform,,,u can get any damn software if u have a symbian cellphone!

praka123

left this forum longback
windows mobile may be attracting potential windows users as the ui looks the same :D isnt it?

Pat

Beyond Smart
Windows mobile has a small Software library as compared to the Symbian
platform,,,u can get any damn software if u have a symbian cellphone!
You seem to be mistaken, my friend..Windows-mobile has the second largest library of softwares (next only to symbian)! Functionally speaking, can you tell me one "type or category" of software thats present on Symbian and not on Windows-mobile ? I doubt if theres any!

windows mobile may be attracting potential windows users as the ui looks the same :D isnt it?

Its true in some sense..the intuitiveness, the similarity is definitely there and it does help..no doubt about it :)

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
The main reason I like linux mobiles is because there is endless customisation options and endless software options available for it, and most of them come free. Look at VLC for example. Can I have it in a Windows Mobile ?
Come on dude.. dont start windows linux war...

Look here for VLC for wince
Then there is the fact that I can have my PC's terminal even on the mobile.
You can get windows remote desktop even on Symbian/java phones.
Link

Software developed for linux desktop can often be run on linux mobiles.
wihtout any modification? I doubt so ..
I can run winmobile apps native without any modifications on windows and vice versa as far are there is no PC/mobile specific code written.

praka123

left this forum longback
^still it is more probable to run a linux software for pc whose source is provided can be ported very easily to mobile platform.guess what win mobile cannot reach that :p

didja know that debian got ports for arm too?
read this :
*www.debian.org/ports/
BTW,I hope blind people wont end up making M$haft another monopoly(nokia is the #1 in mobile platform) in mobile platform.thats the end of freedom which ur enjoying now. :-|

think twice before buying a win mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom