Microsoft Unveils Mango, the Latest Version of Windows Phone

sygeek

Technomancer
Microsoft Unveils Mango, the Latest Version of Windows Phone

Microsoft held dual events in New York City and London on Tuesday to introduce the latest version of Windows Phone 7 — codename “Mango” — to the world. Mashable attended the New York City event and got a firsthand look at what is next for the software giant and its mobile operating system.

Microsoft introduced Windows Phone 7 to the world seven months ago in an attempt to reboot its mobile strategies. With Mango, Microsoft is hoping to use Windows Phone 7 as a base, building out features and capabilities in the OS to make phones “smarter and easier.”

The company outlined its three focus areas for Mango:

• Communications
  • Apps
  • Internet

We’ll be discussing Microsoft’s strategy more thoroughly in a later post, but the big takeaway is that Mango will be an evolution of the Windows Phone 7 strategy. Features like multitasking, better cloud integration and better platform tools are all part of Mango’s roadmap.

Mango tools will be available for developers today and is slated for a fall release. In addition to continuing its hardware partnerships with LG, HTC and Samsung, the company announced that Acer, Fujitsu and ZTE will also release Mango handsets. The biggest hardware maker, however, will be Nokia. The first Nokia phone to run Windows Phone will run Mango. Microsoft didn’t explicitly promise a fall debut, but says that Nokia handsets running Mango are already in the lab.

Many of the best ideas in Windows Phone 7 are being carried to fruition in Mango and with developer support; this could be Microsoft’s shot to take on some of the bigger players.

Soumik

Padawan
Mango anyone? :D

Guys take a look at the Mango update features for Windows Phone 7. Seems cool to me. Other than the super customization options, almost everything is slowly coming on board WP7 :)

Joe Belfiore shows off Windows Phone Mango

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Re: Mango anyone? :D

Why can't Nokia use both WP7 and Android in their devices at the same time!!? Other manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, LG produce both kind...i would like to see Nokia Hardware+Android combination!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

dsneith said:
everything is depend upon the price factor
I dont expect then to cost less because MS is going to look to make loads of profit out of this.

doomgiver said:
windows+nokia : plague rats climbing onto a sinking ship
Lets wait a few days before we say this. Lets give Nokia the time to give it their best.

Soumik

Padawan
Well, i think this update is for everyone, not just nokia, but wherever it goes, its gorgeous. :)
And frankly, i think that with their current hardware, Anna is the only OS Nokia can use properly. They need to upgrade their chipsets fast to allow fluent functioning of the WP7 with Mango update.
Am sure that, unless Nokia and MS have any internal deal, Samsung or HTC are going to get a truck load of Mango before Nokia does. :p

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
yeah its too early to think like that. lets give time to MS and Nokia and hope for the best. Remember its the competition which brings out the best.

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
I think Nokia decision to make Windows Phone was correct in the sense that the Android market has a lot of competition nowadays and every other mobile that gets famous is over with it in almost a month. Windows Phones are something new and they have the potential to rule over the mobile market (and bring back Nokia's reign over the Mobile market).

dsneih

da Mafia

I dont expect then to cost less because MS is going to look to make loads of profit out of this.

they have most of the phone in high segment i feel they will bring out few models for middle segment .. i feel price of them will be competitive as they are loosing battle in the smartphone war ... so with low price they can attract larger customer ...

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
^more sinking? Microsoft isn't sinking if that's what you mean. Win + Nokia will probably not be a FAIL.

With No disrespect to both companies ,

Ios + Android = 90 % market in next 2 years . Android is gonna grow and there wont be any stopping it and Apple wont be able to do anything about it unless they have a surprise for us .

Dont jump the gun , That applies to me and Nokia fans :D

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Only thing I disliked in my colleague's HTC HD7 was its humongous size. Win7 may be bad because it is not "open" but it is sure a delight to an end user. For a person whose life revolves around Microsoft products it is really a treat.

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah its too early to think like that. lets give time to MS and Nokia and hope for the best. Remember its the competition which brings out the best.

competition, and microsoft/nokia?
nokia would be better off going with android, and looking at MS's history of mobile os, i dont think they are going to make it big anytime in this century

Top Bottom