Microsoft researching split-screen desktop software

Status
Not open for further replies.

marulez

Broken In
Microsoft researching split-screen desktop software *img513.imageshack.us/img513/1399/splitscreenzoom2d2e9eka3.jpg Microsoft research in India has developed a piece of software that magically doubles the productivity of a single computer with the simple addition of a second keyboard and mouse. Borrowing the concept from video games -- that's the first thing we think of when we see this setup, go figure -- the software effectively splits the screen in two and drops in a second cursor, allowing two users to use the same machine. Although the software is designed to allow two people to work independently of each other, it is possible for the cursor to cross the central boundary which apparently "opens the door on sharing and collaborating with documents." That's funny, because for us this scenario brings us back to the days of trackpad vs. mouse battles with younger siblings on our parents' laptop -- not exactly a "sharing" moment. In a more professional environment the potential for increased productivity is great, and could have a profound impact in regions where access to a computer remains a luxury that only the rich can afford. What with computer technology moving away from number crunching power to more effective hardware multitasking (think dual core CPUs and widescreen monitors), there's no time like the present for this kind of software. We grabbed a couple of shots of the technology in action at Microsoft's TechFest event this year. Check them out here and here. Source Read More

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! An actual innovation from - gasp! - Microsoft. :D

On a more serious note, I think that is a very neat concept. There have been a lot of times when I've wished I could add a mouse and share my computer with someone. Congratulations to Microsoft if they can do it well and implement it into Windows! :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This is made for offices which lack funds enough to buy many computers. HCL has been doing this for quite some time using there own version of "One More PC" which with the help of 2 monitors can use one PC act as two.

This is all indian innovation boys, made my MS india team. Kudos.

Though it will good for 21" LCD only or above, cos in that size you can easily run two 1024X768 desktops or 2 A4 Sheets of paper while working on some DTP app.

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
WOW! An actual innovation from - gasp! - Microsoft. :D
Don't you wish it happens some day :D
*userful.com/products/dm
It is free if you just want to use between two users
*userful.com/products/free-2-user

The only difference is that Desktop Multiplier uses multiple monitors while Microsoft tries splitting the current monitor into two screens. The basic concept on the other hand is same :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
again another thread hi-jacked by OSC ... however coming back to the topic ... they first revolutionized the single desktop adn now most probably the double desktop ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
eddie said:
The only difference is that Desktop Multiplier uses multiple monitors while Microsoft tries splitting the current monitor into two screens. The basic concept on the other hand is same :)
But how many people have two monitors, dude?

mAV3 said:
they first revolutionized the single desktop
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hah! Hah! Ha...

Thanks for a good hearty laugh! :lol:

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
But how many people have two monitors, dude?
The post was meant to answer your "An actual innovation from Microsoft" part. The concept has already been created and being used as well.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
eddie said:
The post was meant to answer your "An actual innovation from Microsoft" part. The concept has already been created and being used as well.
Oh well, nice try. Better luck next time, I guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom