Microsoft launches innovative project: free access for students

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
In a move that could equip millions of Indian students with advanced computer knowledge, global IT giant Microsoft today launched an innovative project providing free access to its latest software developer and designer tools.

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates launched 'DreamSpark', which will provide access to an estimated 10 mn students to the special software.

"We want to do everything we can to equip a new generation of technology leaders with the knowledge and tools they need to harness the magic of software to improve lives, solve problems and catalyse economic growth," he said.

Minister of State for HRD D Purandeswari said that students can get access to software through the government's 'Sakshat' portal.

The interested students can avail their ID to get access to the software, she said.

Microsoft is giving special attention to India which offers the largest pool of English speaking professionals. It has entered into an agreement with India under which it will give live service to Indian students, she said.

The latest Microsoft software under the DreamSpark project will provide professional level tools that would inspire students to explore the power of software to achieve career success.

Microsoft launched the 'DreamSpark' project in February this year. It is being run in 11 countries, including India, and aims to cover 35 mn students, he said.

The software will be available off-line also through DVDs to be distributed by programme partners like NIIT, Aptech and Hughes Net Fusion Centres.
Source

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Open their site *www.dreamsparkindia.com/dreamspark/GetDreamTools.aspx and see. A student needs to have ISIC membership to get the activation key in India without which the software won't work. Read at labnol and wasted 15-20 minutes opening their site just to know that.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@Think Free, I think you haven't read it properly I guess. This has been on the DreamSpark india site for about 3-4 days now.

All a student needs to do is take his college id to a Microsoft partner training center and you get your activation code.

1. Visit any of our partner locations (please select a location from the list below).
  2. Show your college identity card to collect your DVD containing the software
  3. Go to ‘Get Verified’ and enter the 25 digit verification key mentioned on the DVD
  4. You may be prompted to sign in using a Windows Live Id. This step will associate the verification key to your Live Id
  5. and complete the verification process.
  6. Download the relevant License Keys from the world wide DreamSpark website.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^It's if you go to any centre and get the DVD. If you download online, no other way seems to be there.
Anyone knows if a separated DVD is provided for each product or more than one software on same disk?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Well, if your college is part of IEEE you can get yourself free software.

Free Software From Microsoft For Indian Students

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^IEEE offer I know, it's there at *www.ieee.org/web/membership/students/branchresources/microsoftofferstudents.html But I am not an IEEE member :(

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Well, if you take IEEE membership for this, then it beats the whole purpose of being 'free'. BTW, what's the big deal in going to a center?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^I don't think the NIIT/APTECH centres that are not listed there would be so helpful that they will do so. I will have to visit a centre which is at more distance from my home,while one centre of each is there nearby but none is listed.

And see, Aptech is using this as a mean of publicity for themselves
*www.aptech-education.com/images/ace_dreamspark.jpg

Last edited:

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
My college is not in the list. How to do it with International Student Identity Card (ISIC). is it free or paid.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
This card is not free.
You don't need this card if you go to a centre and get DVD from them. It will be having a 25digit code on it which you can use to get a key from their webiste. It's needed only if you download it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
And see, Aptech is using this as a mean of publicity for themselves
*www.aptech-education.com/images/ace_dreamspark.jpg
They all do this. Should have seen the big boards after the heroes happen here event.

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Actually list for India only contains ISCI and nothing else. Its not my college but evry college

They all do this. Should have seen the big boards after the heroes happen here event.

I have an Aptech institute in my town but it is not listed on their website.

Last edited:

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Contacted NIIT helpline and they had no info about that.
Was told that Silverlight course under Dreamspart project will be launched in December and DVDs will be available only then. Telling them that their website said that one could get free DVD from their centres didn't help either and was asked to wait for 2-3 months to get it.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Anyone brought that DVD? Contacted two NIIT centres in Delhi and it wasn't available in both. :mad:

Last edited:

abhishek_del

Journeyman
the DVDs are not available anywhere I guess. I tried at both the centres in gwalior. Its not available with them, seems Microsoft has not does its homework this time.

And ISIC card can be made at some offices, one is in Delhi, near Janpath.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
"It will be available in a week". This is what I got to hear from one of the NIIT centres when I called them a week ago;

ISIC card may be available , but you need to pay some annual fees to get it and after that you will have to download 3-4GB of data which will be turning out to be very expensive(or time consuming if you have a slower unlimited free use connection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom