Microsoft Encarta to be Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
*www.microsoft.com/uk/encarta/images/ss_encarta_premium_home.jpg

On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like more information about these changes to Encarta.

Why are these Encarta Web sites and software products being discontinued?

Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years. However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference material has changed. People today seek and consume information in considerably different ways than in years past. As part of Microsoft’s goal to deliver the most effective and engaging resources for today’s consumer, it has made the decision to exit the Encarta business.
Microsoft's vision is that everyone around the world needs to have access to quality education, and we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and assets we’ve accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future technology solutions. In doing so, we feel strongly that we are making the right investments that will help make our vision a reality.

When are these Encarta Web sites and software products being discontinued?

MSN Encarta worldwide (except Japan) will be discontinued on October 31, 2009. MSN Encarta Japan will be discontinued on December 31, 2009. After these specified dates, the Web sites will no longer be available.

Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products are also being discontinued. Microsoft will stop making them available for sale by June 2009.

Source

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
hmm ..Being a MVP is it obligatory for you guys to post Microsoft news ?? just asking

neways with 24x7 internet and Wikis this had to happen sometime ...

*www.microsoft.com/uk/encarta/images/ss_encarta_premium_home.jpg

Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years. However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference material has changed. People today seek and consume information in considerably different ways than in years past (like wikipedia :grin: ). As part of Microsoft’s goal to deliver the most effective and engaging resources for today’s consumer, it has made the decision to exit the Encarta business.
Microsoft's vision is that everyone around the world needs to have access to quality education, and we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and assets we’ve accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future technology solutions. In doing so, we feel strongly that we are making the right investments that will help make our vision a reality.

I guess thats Euphemism For "Wikipedia pawned us"

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
For internet lovers...Wikipedia rocks...but for normal persons, Encarta rocked...but on other hand we have Britannica instead

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I am not a Microsoft fan not even remotely but I liked eye candy in Encarta. I hope Wiki will do something about it...

apoorva84

In the zone
i installed encarta 2005 once on my system and it wasn't bad. but Wikipedia seriously kicked encarta's ass. this as expected to happen sooner or later. at least, Microsoft has realized that its no match for Wikipedia.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Encarta is a dead horse, good that Microsoft is closing it. Although in this age of Google & Internet I would still prefer an online checked Encyclopedia instead of Wikipedia.

Can you trust the information of Wikipedia considering there is no system to check the authenticity of the content.

Dark Core

Freak Beta 1
Using Encarta for a while, Except those eye candy Webaroo rocks man - I guess Offline users should switch to Webaroo, any one using here yaar ? - I installed Webaroo Pack back when digit gave in their June Issue, guess digit will give it another shot..

Why are you guys even comparing Encarta and Wikipedia?

Wikipedia played a huge role in Encarta's demise ......

New York times article
*bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/microsoft-encarta-dies-after-long-battle-with-wikipedia/?hp

-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Encarta is a dead horse, good that Microsoft is closing it. Although in this age of Google & Internet I would still prefer an online checked Encyclopedia instead of Wikipedia.

Can you trust the information of Wikipedia considering there is no system to check the authenticity of the content.

Yes !

The free online resource Wikipedia is about as accurate on science as the Encyclopedia Britannica, a study shows.
-Courtesy BBC
News Article link
*news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530930.stm

Last edited:

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
I was using Wikipedia and Encarta 2002 for many days. I find that Wikipedia is much much better than Encarta!!:smile:
Posted again:
Using Encarta for a while, Except those eye candy Webaroo rocks man - I guess Offline users should switch to Webaroo, any one using here yaar ? - I installed Webaroo Pack back when digit gave in their June Issue, guess digit will give it another shot..

I have asked for it in the December 2008 issue. Really that DVD with Webaroo June 2007 issue helped me a lot for doing project works!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

Does Encarta have a built in dictionary that supports pronunciation? If it does,then is it reliable & accurate?what is the total word stock?
Also can someone suggest me some good dictionary software that supports pronunciation,has modern words & can be updated?

Sorry for being offtopic.

D

Deleted member 26636

Does Encarta have a built in dictionary that supports pronunciation? If it does,then is it reliable & accurate?what is the total word stock?
Also can someone suggest me some good dictionary software that supports pronunciation,has modern words & can be updated?

Sorry for being offtopic.

???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom