Micromax becomes Largest Mobile Phone Vendor in India overtaking Samsung

ajaymailed

In the zone
Micromax overtakes Samsung to become leading India handset vendor in Q2

Read more at:
Micromax overtakes Samsung to become leading India handset vendor in Q2 - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Micromax has overtaken Samsung as India's leading handset vendor, capturing 16.6 per cent market share in the April-June period as against the Korean major's 14.4 per cent, according to market research form Counterpoint Research.

The duo were followed by Nokia and Karbonn with 10.9 per cent and 9.5 per cent shares respectively in the just ended quarter, a Counterpoint Research report showed. In the previous quarter ended March 31, Samsung had led the overall market with 16.3 per cent share followed by Micromax with 13 per cent.

The overall mobile phone market grew a modest 2 per cent annually, while the smartphone segment grew 68 per cent. Falling demand for feature phones, which fell 16 per cent in the quarter, had weighed on overall sales, the study said.

In the smartphone segment, Micromax solidified its presence with 19 per cent share but remained the second largest Indian smartphone vendor. Samsung maintained its leadership in this segment with a 25.3 per cent market share.

The research firm said that Micromax had widened the gap with the third largest smartphone player as the race for the third place is up for grabs with fierce competition between Karbonn, Motorola, Celkon, Nokia, Apple and Sony.

On Micromax's performance in the second quarter, Neil Shah, research director, Devices & Ecosystems at Counterpoint Research said, "This is the vendor which mobile industry will have to keep an eye on as it expands beyond domestic markets."

"The surprise performance was from Motorola thanks to its attractive but leaner portfolio of Moto X/G/E and go-to-market strategy. The brand which could soon be part of Lenovo has built a strong base in the high volume India smartphone market, entering the top five rankings surpassing Nokia, Apple, Sony and others," Shah said.

Karbonn is presently the third largest smartphone vendor with 5.9 per cent market share, followed by the resurgent Motorola, which grabbed a significant 4.3 per cent share in the quarter, riding on the success of Moto E and Moto G smartphones.

Micromax also became the leading feature phone supplier overtaking Nokia for the first time with 15.2 per cent market share, while Nokia had 14.7 per cent market share at the end of the second quarter. Karbonn, Samsung and Lava held 11.4 per cent, 8.5 per cent and 7.3 per cent feature phone market share, respectively.

Globally, Micromax also jumped up the rankings becoming the 10th largest handset brand in terms of mobile phone shipment volumes, the research firm said.

"We will see intensified competition in the Indian smartphone space as Asian OEMs such as Xiaomi, Gionee, Huawei and Asus enter with premium-like hardware at an aggressive price-point attracting young tech-savvy but price-conscious urban buyers," Shah said.

"However, these brands will have to work hard on their brand awareness, distribution and service network to continue the growth beyond the early spike in demand in this very important mobile phone market," he added.

*static.indianexpress.com/frontend/iep/story_images/indiashipment04.jpg
source:
Micromax claims top spot in overall handset sales in India, Samsung still leads in smartphones; Motorola No 4 - Financial Express

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
That's nice.With the upcoming Android one, Micromax will keep that no 1 position and also we will see a huge change to mmx as the design/software(ANDROID ONE) everything will be pretty good.

But,the way micromax got to number 1 isn't a good way,they have been literally spamming the Indian market with re branded phones every 3-5 weeks or so , all of them lack quality and they are just confusing the consumer with so many choices.Both,Micromax and samsung offer a good margin on their phones,that's why you see the person's forcing you to get these phones over other's.

I really hope all those exclusive devices on flipkart will be sold locally~but the prices of all those devices will increase by atleast 2-3k
Anyway good for micromax

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
But,the way micromax got to number 1 isn't a good way,they have been literally spamming the Indian market with re branded phones every 3-5 weeks or so , all of them lack quality and they are just confusing the consumer with so many choices.Both,Micromax and samsung offer a good margin on their phones,that's why you see the person's forcing you to get these phones over other's.
x
quality? as in what. lower performance compared to phones at same price?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Really surprising. In my office environment, i see more and more people adopting moto and sony phones. Everyone is ditching micromax as it has that inferior brand value attached to it.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Really surprising. In my office environment, i see more and more people adopting moto and sony phones. Everyone is ditching micromax as it has that inferior brand value attached to it.
That's nice , yes now I do hear people speaking about moto, probably everyone who has a micromax now will buy a moto or Sony once they change their phone

ankush28

Bazinga
Good to see Motorola somewhere in a list :)

Not to forget they achieved that position with just 3 phones, ~5 months and only one seller.... compare that to hundreds of Micromax phones. Before Android One I dont expect anything good from micromax. Hope they don't use rebrand this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Indian shopkeepers are one of the biggest reason behind MMX success :p:lol::pullhair:

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
^^BTW MMX has setup a manufacturing plant in India and moreover i think they are going to open open 2 R&D centers in near future... so that's going for them which is nice :)
i seriously hope they start producing quality stuff and manufacture in India.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^^BTW MMX has setup a manufacturing plant in India and moreover i think they are going to open open 2 R&D centers in near future... so that's going for them which is nice :)
i seriously hope they start producing quality stuff and manufacture in India.

they are already producing quality stuff.. what they need are more number of responsible service centers.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Not to forget they achieved that position with just 3 phones, ~5 months and only one seller.... compare that to hundreds of Micromax phones. Before Android One I dont expect anything good from micromax. Hope they don't use rebrand this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Indian shopkeepers are one of the biggest reason behind MMX success :p:lol::pullhair:

Forgot to mention the massive users - Indian Public, mostly from small cities and towns.:wink:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Micromax should spends more on R&D,Focus on the phone,software and release one phone with snapdragon thats their's not rebranded.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
It's nice to see an Indian brand rocking here, but seriously how is the Quality Control of their devices? How good are the phones built? I have always ignored them. Where do they lead others? You know, Nokia and hTC for build quality, Zeiss and Sony for image sensors, Motorola for radios, Samsung for display panels, so what Micromax does best?

I think this is a HUGE news! Cause from 2000 not a single Indian brand had any impact anywhere near like the other Asian / European brands in India, now suddenly Micromax surpassing Samsung, it's just amazing from an Indian's POV.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
The gestation period of Micromax is almost over for making a mark as a flagship brand. Think about XIAOMI those who launched about 4 yrs. ago in China,in contrast to that almost a decade has passed for Micromax. Meanwhile fighting against cases,abuses from us(many of us INCLUDING me termed their product as crapware,sh!tware,etc. hurling in this forum against them),ups & downs,they kept their visionary path straight,arranged and well managed their House in order,and thus treaded towards No.1 in Sales.

Hat's Off Micromax!!!

Top Bottom