Merging 2 partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I just removed Linux from my computer, now I have 3 partitions with all having NTFS file system

1) Vista 15 GB
2) 8 GB empty partition
3) Rest files partition

I wanna merge the vista & 8 GB partition for a total of 23 GB partition, but the problem is Vista's partition is the boot parition & I don't wanna loose my OS.

How to do this safely?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I thought you already merged your partitions!
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=681163&postcount=146

well i tried it once but vista's inbuilt partition manager doesn't allows to change the boot partition size. System partition can be changed if its different from boot partition. You can use gparted live cd or the SUSE live cd to merge your partition. But even these sometimes have trouble resizing the first primary partition. Try it, its safe, it first runs a simulation and only does real resizing if everything is alright. But in anycase, keep the Ultimate boot cd handy to repair partition table in case of any problems.

and I want to give saurav company ;)

I have an ubuntu install.

My first two partitions are FAT23 with Win XP and NTFS with some user files respectively

I want to merge them without loosing data, and convert all to NTFS

Help Milega?(I want to try it from Ubuntu Feisty)

kalpik

Krazy_About_Technology said:
well i tried it once but vista's inbuilt partition manager doesn't allows to change the boot partition size. System partition can be changed if its different from boot partition. You can use gparted live cd or the SUSE live cd to merge your partition. But even these sometimes have trouble resizing the first primary partition. Try it, its safe, it first runs a simulation and only does real resizing if everything is alright. But in anycase, keep the Ultimate boot cd handy to repair partition table in case of any problems.
Please suggest his something that runs from windows.. We wouldn't want him to get more frustrated by using more of Linux :)

littledrop

Broken In
partition magic is your friend

you can also try gparted if you don't have money

P.S. Backup is a must and do at your risk!!!

kalpik said:
Please suggest his something that runs from windows.. We wouldn't want him to get more frustrated by using more of Linux :)

Well, i just suggested what i used. I see technology as an enabler, something that i use for my own gains. So it doesn't matter to me who made what? as long as it works for me, i m on it. I've got a kind of Lin+Win = Win Win (dont confuse the context :-D ) situation.

Third Eye

gooby pls
@Gxsaurav: First convert the 8 gb partition to NTFS and merge it with 15GB vista partition
by using Partition Magic 8(I think it doesn't work in Vista :| Use it in XP :)))

kalpik

Krazy_About_Technology said:
Well, i just suggested what i used. I see technology as an enabler, something that i use for my own gains. So it doesn't matter to me who made what? as long as it works for me, i m on it. I've got a kind of Lin+Win = Win Win (dont confuse the context :-D ) situation.
I know! But we are talking about GX here :)

din

Tribal Boy
@Krazy_About_Technology

Seems you missed this thread ;)

That is what Kalpik and others meant lol.

@gx_saurav

I think partition manager will do it ? If you have no plan to buy, you can 'borrow' from someone for single use ;)

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I already have partition magic 8.5 for Windows, so application is not a problem anymore.

When I selected to merge partitions in Partition magic, I selected the 8 GB partition which is a NTFS Partition the first one, with 15 GB vista partition which is the only OS & boot partition. PM 8.5 said it will copy files to some folder & then merger...but since it is a boot partition i m afraid of data loss.

Now here is the thing, I already have a Norton ghost disk image with me as the last resort, if my Vista refuses to boot I will simply delete both the 25 & 8 GB partition using PM 8.5 recovery CD, then make a big 23 GB partition in the available space & revert the ghost image...but this is the last resort.

I m going to take a risk, merging both partitions in PM 8.5 now....c ya in a while if my system is still in working condition.

din

Tribal Boy
@gx_saurav

I am not sure about Vista, but I have tried merging boot partition (XP) with another. Worked without any problem.It should not be a problem for Vista too, but again, not 100% sure.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I backed up everything I could on my C: drive & have started the process in Paragon partition manager 8.5....

wish me luck, pray for me...c ya in few hrs :D

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This is how it shows here... I selected first my vista parition & then on 2nd page my empty partition....

*img513.imageshack.us/img513/7603/97204014hy7.jpg

*www.xs4all.nl/~ernstmul/images/yahoo/51.gif *us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif

Gr8..i tried it, chewed half my fingers but nothing happened...

This is first page of partition manager 8.5, I selected my Vista partition here,

*img364.imageshack.us/img364/2075/snag0000ze2.th.jpg

This is the 2nd page where I selected my 8 GB partition. On 3rd page it showed as I wanted but said the files are in use so it needs to do a reboot. I did that,,,& on boot this is the screen I got (Taken from phone)

*img464.imageshack.us/img464/994/dsc00907og7.th.jpg

It did the operation but nothing happened, I still had 2 partitions.

Now, when I try selecting my 8 GB partition in first page & then vista partition, it says "it's a boot partition which u r merging to non boot. You won't be able to boot"

how to do it now :confused:

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
Try one thing, Merge both the partitions and Ignore the Boot errors.. Then pop in the Vista dvd and repair vista and rewrite the MBR with Vista's boot loader.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hmm...I hope there won't be data loss in this case...ok trying that.

I tried the above method...but nothing happened. It wiped my boot loader & I had to restore it using Vista DVD but still I was left with 2 partitions...

now going the long way. I m making a Disk image using backup & restore center of Vista on my external HD then format both Vista & 8 GB Partition, merge them,...reinstall vista then restore the disk image.

C ya all tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom