[Merged] Why Click Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Re: what does Refresh do?

it merely updates the icons n stuff. sometimes u copy/create something on the desktop and it wont be instently shown on the desktop so u refresh.

Vyasram

The pWnster

another thread on this already exists

Very rarely u wud find the use of refresh if u r usin xp

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28985&highlight=refresh

arijit basu

Broken In

Some technical talks:-
there are two types of RAM,static RAM and Dynamic RAM,and the ones we use...like SD RAM or synchronous dynamic RAM or DDR RAM, are all but dynamic RAMs.
static RAM stores bit of information as voltage,and dynamic ram stores bit of information as charge..
so charge leaks with time and thus we have the first form of refresh,,which stops the RAM from malfunctioning by sending the information again,,thus you have the basic idea of what refresh means,,is it alright???

JGuru

Wise Old Owl

Any modern OS refreshes the data (reloads) of the directory you are viewing. There
are also processes running to check for any other Plug n Play devices being
attached , so that the drivers for that device are loaded & you can access the
device (Digital Camera etc., ) immediately. So you don't need to refresh anything!!

siriusb

Cyborg Agent

arijit_basu, the refresh you are talking about is the Tref of sdram. It takes place automatically via the memory interface at the h/w level (though you can change it via bios).
What the OP is asking is the 'refresh' in the desktop/explorer context menu. I use refresh to rearrange icons correctly when a "Arrange icons by" rule is in that folder and I've just copy-pasted a file. I think refresh is also used to enforce a new icon, as in when you've just changed a file association to a new program. Maybe it has more uses. Never really gave a thought to it.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!

I saw the refresh option in Kde based Linux disrotros but not on Gnome based one...
Why? Pls explain.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think we hv Refresh in GNOME too (Cleanup by name or something like that).
Not sure coz I don't hv Linux installed on my comp :D

eagle_y2j

Youngling

JGuru said:
Any modern OS refreshes the data (reloads) of the directory you are viewing. There
are also processes running to check for any other Plug n Play devices being
attached , so that the drivers for that device are loaded & you can access the
device (Digital Camera etc., ) immediately. So you don't need to refresh anything!!

but can any explain why microsoft is not removing the hell refresh if it is of no use to end this discussion:--------------

rajasekharan

Youngling
well, i refresh to arrange the icons, .....i usually put it as type.....and at times it does not do that , so i refresh ....either by f5, or right click...:)

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
[offtopic]Puja really a girl here or just a name??:D:D:D Sorry, I never saw a girl here. Also, JGuru, welcome back Guru! Long time no see[/offtopic]

casanova

The Frozen Nova
It was a prob with windows 98. I rarely use with windows XP. If windows does not auto refresh the screen with the changes, u have to click refresh.

knight17

In the zone
Sometimes (rarely) the desktop icons are not redrawn properly by windows, or some program draws junk on the desktop.Then you can rightclick the desktop and refresh it.Simply doing it time and again ( as many novices I see ) is dumb and has absolutely no use.

the_moon

Journeyman
Even I have this Refreshing syndrome, but it does solve my purpose. I dont know whats th tech theory behind it but yes, the response does improve by refreshing.

My reason for refreshing many times...
A gud time pass when u r not sure what to do next :D
Just after I finish some heavyweight operation,it takes some seconds to come to normal processing speed.now if refresh is taking time,that means i shud wait more..and if it starts refreshing instantly then its time to assign some new burden to CPU... :D:D:D ..that means they are a pointer to how much load ur CPU is having...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom