[Merged] Why Click Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Thomas

Broken In
very simple question.....

Why should we click Refresh (right click ) every now and then in Windows OS but why not in Linux ?

What does Refresh Command do ?

Technical answers appreciated....

puja399

In the zone
Re: Why Click Refresh in Windows

It does nothing other than redrawing or repainting the screen/active window, and is generally used to arrange icons/files which have got scattered over the window/screen.

However, most often than not, u will watch some people (who call themselves 'Computer engineer' :) and are usually engaged in computer maintenance) to use this technique every now and then to (somehow) refresh the computer memory (??!!!) etc., especially if some sluggishness is apparent from the computer (which is a futile excercise, btw).

selva1966

Journeyman

You are very observant puja399. I also noticed these engineers doing this. I am now copying them but with NO appreciable change in anything.

sakumar79

Technomancer

Yes, I think they do it as if to look busy and that they know what they are doing... Once you start interacting with them and indicate that you have good knowledge of computers, I have seen some of them stop doing it :)

Arun

puja399

In the zone

I remember when I was learning computer in the MS-DOS era, I have seen some of these people using 'dir' command to check (??!!) the speed of computer (by watching the speed of directory listing onscreen :) )

MysticHalo

Your Maker.

Refresh is just a sort of time pass---ppl get irritated if their comps take too much time to load a particular application, so they just click arnd refresh to reduce their anxiety<any other appropriate word, maybe> :?

sakumar79 said:
Yes, I think they do it as if to look busy and that they know what they are doing... Once you start interacting with them and indicate that you have good knowledge of computers, I have seen some of them stop doing it :)

Arun
ROFL:p

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, refreshing the desktop once after XP has booted up properly does make it more responsive. For example, when you first click on 'Refresh' after booting up, it sort of takes a few seconds to do so. But the next refresh gets done instantaneously.

vandit

In the zone

just a sort of timepass.... or a hobby or even a automated mechanism by their body... or maybe its their fav. button.. :D.. and yes i do agree with aryayush ... even after using a heavy weight application it does become more responsive when u click refresh...

puja399

In the zone

vandit said:
.. and yes i do agree with aryayush ... even after using a heavy weight application it does become more responsive when u click refresh...

It is just an illusion. Windows auto-redraws the screen when the CPU is idle, so just after running a resource hungry app, Windows is more concerned with the memory /disk cleanup and DLL unloading etc. than to redrawing or updating the screen. But when the user specifically asks Windows to redraw by using 'Refresh', such command takes priority over the 'cleaning up' task, and Windows redraws the screen as soon as possible, and thus defers the memory clean up for later.

However, it is a known issue that Windows is not that much famous in clean up job, I guess defering such an action is not recommended as sometimes it may result in memory leakage. However those having greater knowledge about the Windows internals may please comment on this matter.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.

Hey, thats nothing to do with increasing responsiveness of the PC.
Try this-: Press ctrl+alt+del and see the cpu usage, now keep refreshing...nothing happens..on the other hand, if the CPU usage is high and u refresh ...its gonna increase further.
Looks like some u believe that refreshing clears ram or something like that :neutral:

Well this is the reason for the F5 key to exist " You can press F5 when viewing a Web page to make sure that you have the most current version of that Web page. You can also use F5 when in Windows to refresh the screen. This can be a handy shortcut. If perhaps you are viewing the contents of a floppy disk and you insert a new floppy, your screen will still show the contents of the first floppy. Just press F5 to refresh the screen and see the contents of the floppy you just inserted."

alienspiesu

Journeyman

ya i too agree.. sum show off wit it.. n othrwise it cn b usd aftr u r finishd usg an app wich is resource hungry..
n on the web or floppy disk as mentioned in the post above mine..

eagle_y2j

Youngling
we can't just say it is some short of show of ?

Tom Thomas said:
very simple question.....

Why should we click Refresh (right click ) every now and then in Windows OS but why not in Linux ?

What does Refresh Command do ?

Technical answers appreciated....
Windows Explorer can be slow to update its display when other programs change files and folders. Refresh speeds Explorer's reaction time.So we can't just say it is some short of show of ?

Vyasram

The pWnster

doing once maybe some good. But doin it 20-30 times is idiotic

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent

agreed vyasram, its useless refreshing 20-30 times....
take a practical example....i agree does not clear ram or reduce cpu usage but does have to do somthin related wit dat...

try it practically....quite a heavy program or application...once u hv ur desktop click start button...it takes a little time to it...esp wit non optimistic rig....now try again by doing a refresh once after quitting d program....u find it operates faster

basically, wen u quit an application there r some temp and cached files which were used but need to be cleared b4 ur system stands by the desktop but windows is not able to do it quick enuf esp after getting older...(tis not d same wit freshly installed os or very fast system....this happens usually after more start-up services r installed n pc becomes lil unstable)...refresh actually means refreshing things wit the actual one..so it forces clearing of those temp files for redrawing ur current display

u even have softwares for auto-refreshing....thereby faster closing of programs....refer to page - "www.winguides.com/tweak"

cheers

Tech&ME

Banned

Ya I think this is something to do with Windows Explorer (File Manager), refreshing might be enabling the Explorer to update its file status faster and hence, we feel the system light as soon as we click on refresh once the desktop loads up when we start our comp.

mohit sharma

Journeyman

we can see some repetive sort of exercise by some people which eventually gets spread to a vast chunk of people , i too sometimes think whenever most of the people came to a system they just start refreshing the desktop , even if the system is p4 3.0 ghz. and everything is running quite smoothly , and then evertime i think , what the hell this / that guy is trying to do !!!!
is it something related to accelarating the throttle of the bike when it is ideally standing on a redlight !!!!! lol !!!

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent

well thats certainly no use repetatively hitting refresh n torturing ur mouse and F5 key....

cheers

CT Squad

Broken In
Why Click Refresh in Windows

what exactly does refresh do?
while refreshing by right clicking on the desktop

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Re: what does Refresh do?

it reloads the wallpaper, icons, files, shortcuts and other enhancements on the desktop, or any other folder where you right click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom