Memory Card Performance in Nikon D5100

Champ

.NET Guru
Hi Guys,
Today I had a bit of free time in afternoon, so decided to do a small benchmark test for memory cards.

Objective
wanted to test Buffer depth and write speed of each card.

Equipments Used
  • Nikon D5100
  • Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC card
  • SanDisk 4GB Class 2 SDHC Card
  • Lexar 4GB Class 4 SDHC Card
  • Samsung Galaxy S

Methodology Used
  1. Formatted Card in camera.
  2. Set Camera in Program Mode, Continuous Release Mode, Image Quality Fine Jpeg, Focus Mode AF-S, Other Settings Default.
  3. Open Stop Watch on Galaxy S
  4. Press Start on clock and press shutter on camera simultaneously.
  5. Shoot till camera buffer is over and it stops/Shoots at very low rate.
  6. Compute time by captured image of stop watch.

*img1.imagehousing.com/40/b49557500cb0fb19d6ad421cc453d5db.jpg

Results
  • None of the card used was able to achieve promised 4FPS on Nikon D5100, Highest score was of 3.9
  • Only class 10 Transcend card was able to shoot till 100 images as advertised by Nikon, other class 2/class 4 card started stalking around 22 images, can be seen by sudden drop in graph.
  • I stopped test for 40 images and 60 images for Lexar and Sandisk card as rate at which images were being captured was too low and unusable for real world.

*img1.imagehousing.com/35/dc4a018e56a6ca7e46fce6449a3c6deb.jpg

Disclaimer
Although I tried to be as accurate and as rational as possible, but possibility of human error can not be ignored. I did this test for purely personal purpose, sharing it as it might be useful to others as well.

Comments/suggestions are welcome, Also it will be useful if some of you guys perform similar test with other camera models/cards and post results

sujoyp

Grand Master
nice comparison...ur data may be correct and may not be...:)
BTW y r u using a class 2 card on DSLR...it will take soo much of time to save low exposure shots and transfer pics to PC

OP
Champ

Champ

.NET Guru
@sujoyp My Primary Card in D5100 is Transcend 16Gb Class 10 card.
SanDisk 4GB Class 2 card is used with another point and shoot.
I got Lexar 4GB Class 4 Card free with D5100 and it acts as a backup card.

As far as data is concernd, I tried my level best, but yes for more professional results tests should have been performed 3-5 times and average should have been taken.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Atleast u gave ur efforts and time :)

I am using a sandisk ultra 8GB class 4 card as primary and a strontium 4gb class 4 card as backup which I got free

Top Bottom