Mein Kampf [with linux]

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
:)

This thread that i am creating is not about problems or advantages on linux.

You guys know that I am trying to use linux. I was mostly unsuccessful last time to get TV running. This time, I am giving it extremely serious try. So, here it goes.

BTW, once the first test match and the race weekend is over, I am going to use linux and only linux for a minimum of 15 days. I will try my best to get the native TV app working else I will use wine to install pinnacle tvcenter pro. Will be removing windows from my PC coz I can't give my 100% when there is a working setup just a click away.

Day 1 (08/10/2008 ) :

Downloaded Ubunutu, which many regard as best for home distro.

Version : 8.04 Fiesty fawn

Before giving it a try, I thought, why can't I put a separate HDD only for linux, convert all my cd's to ogg and make every bit of data on that HDD fully open source look.

As a result, I buy a 250Gig HDD. Seagate 7200.10, paid 2.3k for this and another 400 bucks for a brand new 450W SMPS (Odyssey) as half of zebronics SMPS power connectors are gone.

Now, I setup the HDD's in the following way:

1) sda : 250Gb
2) sdb: 160Gb (old one) <-- will be for linux

Finally, installed Ubuntu on the 160gig HDD and boot loaded is installed on this HDD only.

After the reboot, I get the error "Error 15: File not found" when I select to boot Ubuntu in GRUB. I thought let's swap the HDD sata ports and do a install again.

This time, I have set 160Gb as sda, installed Ubuntu and am able to boot without any problem. I try to download few packages and then the internet got disconnected. That ended my day 1 at around 1am.

Day 2( 09/10/2008 ):

My internet connection is back, I do all the updates in Ubuntu, get all the codecs required to play compressed audio and video content. To my surprise, all that I did is open video player and select "Download required codecs". no rpms, no dependencies etc.

On my laptop, am converting all my media to Ogg and on my desktop, my only priority now is to get that damn tv app working.

The Add/Remove application took me by surprise. Instead of searching on the web for packages, all you need to do is search for the s/w that you need directly from Add/Remove programs [need internet connection]. Type the name of app type that you are looking for, select "All available Application" as search in. YOu will get a list of apps based on your query. Select the app, click Apply and the app will be downloaded and installed without your intervention. Great!!!

eg: I searched for "TV" and found ten's of apps, selected 5 well knows tv apps and the instllation is going on along with 100+ udpates. this is now going to take some 2hrs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom