Mega is coming back!!

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
i was able to register an account yesterday with a temporary mail id . just checking . It went fine .

Site has no problem when browsing in Maxthon .

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Uploading seems fine. A 25 mb file took around 4-5 mins, at ~90 kb/s. But they keep insisting to use Chrome!

Attachments

• Mega.jpg
    Mega.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Tried to register two times last night. Failed both the times. Didn't receive email.
Today I tried with gmail. Got mail instantly. So looks like there's problem with live ID.

Anyway, this seems good:
*i.minus.com/jniLEZSe9Jhf2.png

2048 bit encryption :eek:

hahahahah yeah well dont get too happy. its not that difficult to crack :p

Do you think it really is there?? I don't think so..

yeah it is, after getting screwed by the anti-piracy people hes making sure that the anonymity of the uploader and the web server location is secure. and totally secure.

Just How Strong is 2048-bit SSL Certificate Encryption?

*www.engadget.com/2010/03/09/1024-bit-rsa-encryption-cracked-by-carefully-starving-cpu-of-ele/

*www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/01/13/researchers-crack-768-bit-rsa/1

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Just registered at Mega and uploaded a file. I love its theme. They've done a nice work in designing the template.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
then why the hell are they providing 2048 bit encryption?...

Actually the data stored at their server will be encrypted with your 2048 bit key. So even though you might have uploaded warez to their server, they won't be able to see the content of data. Essentially that spares them of any legal action against them even if some goes to see through their HDDs because the data will be encrypted.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Actually the data stored at their server will be encrypted with your 2048 bit key. So even though you might have uploaded warez to their server, they won't be able to see the content of data. Essentially that spares them of any legal action against them even if some goes to see through their HDDs because the data will be encrypted.

What an idea sir ji!!

kbar1

Journeyman

Actually, Ars Technica found some interesting "features" which may compromise your innocence if you're uploading pirated stuff.

Firstly, Mega claims that they do not know what content you upload. However, their servers check for redundancy (deduplication). So if you uploaded the same file as another guy, only one copy will be stored. But this begs the question: how will they know if the files are identical?

During startup, when it is generating your 2048-bit RSA key, apparently JavaScript's inbuilt random number generator is used. And computers by themselves can't do random stuff. It is only pseudo-random, and can be reverse-engineered if the likes of FBI were so inclined. Also, when the site claims that it has collected keyboard/mouse entropy, it is still reading those moves. So, most people won't jiggle their KBs/mice.

Your files themselves are encrypted with AES-128. The 2048-bit key is used when you send files or messages to other users.

Password is not changeable. If you lose it, you lose your files.

Link: [arstechnica.com]

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

yes i understand that, i know what you are saying .. but what i am asking is that isnt that already implied in the terms and conditions ? ? that you will not be allowed to upload warez and pirated media? i think thats the reason why megaupload was shut down in the first place.

Actually, Ars Technica found some interesting "features" which may compromise your innocence if you're uploading pirated stuff.

Firstly, Mega claims that they do not know what content you upload. However, their servers check for redundancy (deduplication). So if you uploaded the same file as another guy, only one copy will be stored. But this begs the question: how will they know if the files are identical?

During startup, when it is generating your 2048-bit RSA key, apparently JavaScript's inbuilt random number generator is used. And computers by themselves can't do random stuff. It is only pseudo-random, and can be reverse-engineered if the likes of FBI were so inclined. Also, when the site claims that it has collected keyboard/mouse entropy, it is still reading those moves. So, most people won't jiggle their KBs/mice.

Your files themselves are encrypted with AES-128. The 2048-bit key is used when you send files or messages to other users.

Password is not changeable. If you lose it, you lose your files.

Link: [arstechnica.com]

thats what i thought, 2048 bit encrpted files will not only take a lot of processing power to achieve, also it will occupy lots of storage.

Flash

Lost in speed
So, this time it's entirely on "User's responsibility".

1.How would they know if the uploaded content is pirated or not?
2.Is there any setting that can make the uploaded content as "Private"?

Top Bottom