MeeGo Powered Jolla handsets to prove Nokia wrong?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Everyone remembers the legendary Nokia N900. Everybody loved it. It was a smartphone of it’s times with a promising OS, a good build (although a bit heavy, it had an excellent keypad) and great internal hardware. Software support was great too (Nokia is good at that). But, there nevr was a followup. No more devices of the same OS were ever released. It’s almost disturbing seeing how successful it was and how not successful Symbian S60v5 devices (at that time) were. Yet, for some reason Nokia continued pushing with Symbian, releasing Symbian^3 devices instead of Maemo (the name then) handsets.

Two years later, under a partnership with INTEL, notoriously known for always launching a commercially successful product (since 2007, their products have been performance king in their respective segments) Nokia released their first MeeGo powered handset, the Nokia N9. And what a device it was. Incorporating a full SWYPE based interface, where the UI was controlled by swiping (because the whole device on the front was buttonless!), this revolutionary device was marked by many as “Nokia is back, and with a bang!”. But this, wasn’t for long.Enter Jolla. A new start-up founded by the ex-MeeGo staff from Nokia. Jolla has a simple motive. To revive the wonderful OS that MeeGo is. And it plans to do this fast. They have already declared that they will launch a MeeGo device within this year, and at least two more next year. Very fast moving, for a new start-up. But we must take into consideration that these people had already been working on MeeGo, and they will essentially take over from where MeeGo was left do accumulate dust. Nokia has granted loans, and many MeeGo handset related patents to Jolla as a sign of good will. And I’m pretty sure N9 and MeeGo fans appreciate this a lot. I personally am excited to see a MeeGo handset which can rock the market, especially since the OS was soo refined back when N9 was first launched.So will Jolla with their MeeGo handsets prove Nokia wrong? Did Nokia indeed make a mistake? Should they have routed all their resources to a MeeGo future with the formidable INTEL than abandon it and deal with Microsoft? Only time will tell. And will tell soon. By the end of this year, the dust will settle and we will see what comes of the once world’s largest handset manufacturer.

The Nokia N9

*i48.tinypic.com/nltov9.jpg

Quick Specs:

- 1 GHz TI OMAP 3630 CPU
- PowerVR SGX 530 GPU
- 3.9″ FWVGA (854×480) AMOLED
- 1 GB RAM
- 8 MP autofocus, dual-LED flash
- 720p video @ 30fps
- VGA front facing camera
- 16/64 GB internal storage
- 1450 mAh Li-Ion battery

The Nokia N9 device launch was perhaps the worst way to launch a new platform of smartphones ever. It was preceded by a press conference, where Stephen Elop declared the platform dead, even before it was launched! Perhaps the worst marketing tactic (ever) somebody could apply. Despite that, the device has been immensely popular and people have been wishing over and over again for more MeeGo powered handsets. Many people believe Nokia should completely abandon Symbian and should have never taken up with Windows Phone. Instead they should have pursued the promising MeeGo ecosystem. And apps were not going to be a problem too, especially when the application layer “Alien Dalvik” allowed full Android app compatibility with a simple application repackaging. It simply couldn’t get better.

Now, fast forward to July 2012. Nokia is in shambles. Windows Phone is no where near what they had hyped, or predicted. With the announcement of Windows Phone 8, the present WP7 handsets died prematurely. The biggest loss would be for the new Lumia 900 buyers, who must be feeling stupid buying a flagship handset only to find its stuck to an already outdated OS with no future software upgrades (windows phone 7.8 barring). Nokia has let go of tons of employees. Their Symbian development workforce, along with MeeGo staff were let go. Samsung has over taken Nokia. INTEL moved on and formed a new partnership pursuing MeeGo’s successor and a new name, Tizen.

*i46.tinypic.com/fk1w6d.jpg

The first and only Maemo powered handset, Nokia N900

Enter Jolla. A new start-up founded by the ex-MeeGo staff from Nokia. Jolla has a simple motive. To revive the wonderful OS that MeeGo is. And it plans to do this fast. They have already declared that they will launch a MeeGo device within this year, and at least two more next year. Very fast moving, for a new start-up. But we must take into consideration that these people had already been working on MeeGo, and they will essentially take over from where MeeGo was left do accumulate dust. Nokia has granted loans, and many MeeGo handset related patents to Jolla as a sign of good will. And I’m pretty sure N9 and MeeGo fans appreciate this a lot. I personally am excited to see a MeeGo handset which can rock the market, especially since the OS was soo refined back when N9 was first launched.

So will Jolla with their MeeGo handsets prove Nokia wrong? Did Nokia indeed make a mistake? Should they have routed all their resources to a MeeGo future with the formidable INTEL than abandon it and deal with Microsoft? Only time will tell. And will tell soon. By the end of this year, the dust will settle and we will see what comes of the once world’s largest handset manufacturer.

Article Source

Hrishi

Completely agree to the fact that the launch of Nokia N9 followed a very poor marketing strategy considering the device in mind.

I have always loved Nokia for their Hardware and Symbian OS , but seems like they have gone Crazy these days.

Their Windows/Lumia series got screwed within couple of months of release.

It would be great to see Nokia back in action " something we are expecting from past few years."

reniarahim1

Youngling
Nokia should have kept meego as the backup OS if windows misfired. now they are doomed if windows 8 is not a hit.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
And apps were not going to be a problem too, especially when the application layer “Alien Dalvik” allowed full Android app compatibility with a simple application repackaging. It simply couldn’t get better.

Did I read right? Does that mean the apps for N9 shouldn't be a problem? Does it mean most of the apps which runs on Android should work on Meego? :shock:

I am pretty excited to hear that ex-Meego staff are reviving the OS! :D
If they can do, I would have new found respect for Nokia for providing the patents.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Nokia only need to change their shity CEO and handover that post who have a little bit knowledge about smartphone market which seems this former MS employee present CEO (Mr.Stephen.Flop) certainly don't.

Nokia please make Damian Dinning as your CEO. <----IMHO though :)

Top Bottom