MASTER TUTORIAL: Make Your Windows XP Super Fast !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!

This tutorial is meant for increasing the performance of Windows XP, either it can be a fresh installed windows or an old windows. :)
Actually these r some tips/tricks, which I always apply whenever I do a fresh installation of windows. So here I’m sharing many of those tips-n-tricks:

1.) First I’ll tell some Registry tricks, which can be applied without any problem or doubt and I believe these tricks will surely help in increasing the performance of your windows. Copy the following code in Notepad, save the file with name "Vishal.reg" (including quotes) and then run the file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\DosHere]
@="Command &Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\DosHere\Command]
@="%windir%\\System32\\cmd.exe /k cd \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell\DosHere]
@="Command &Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell\DosHere\Command]
@="%windir%\\System32\\cmd.exe /k cd \"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"Link"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"AutoEndTasks"="1"
"HungAppTimeout"="1000"
"MenuShowDelay"="8"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"
"LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
"ClearRecentDocsOnExit"=dword:00000001
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=hex:01,00,00,00
"LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001
"NoResolveSearch"=dword:00000001
"NoResolveTrack"=dword:00000001
"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer]
2.) Right-click on Desktop and select Properties, Now in the new window goto Appearance tab and click on Effects button. Now in the new opened window uncheck the following options:

a.) Use the following transition effect for menus & tooltips.
b.) Show shadows under menus.
c.) Show window contents while dragging. (you may remain this option checked as I hv in my screenshot. It depends upon ur choice.)
d.) Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts. You may select “Standard” for this. I hv selected “Clear Type” coz I hv a TFT, it doesnt work properly for CRT monitors.

*img153.imageshack.us/img153/1183/image2cj1.jpg

3.)
Right-click on My Computer icon on Desktop and select Properties (or press <WIN> key + <Pause/Break> key), now goto Advanced tab in new window and click on Settings button in Performance section:

*img82.imageshack.us/img82/3681/image3st2.jpg

Now uncheck all the options in Visual Effects, but u can remain following options checked acc. to ur choice:

a.) Show window contents while dragging.
b.) Smooth edges of screen fonts.
c.) Use common tasks in folders (If u use the left side pane in My computer, I don’t use it.)
d.) Use drop shadows on icon labels on the desktop. (to make the desktop icons label transparent.)
e.) Use visual styles on windows and buttons. (If u use XP themes.)

*img81.imageshack.us/img81/9145/image4rs5.jpg

4.)
Open Tools -> Folder Options and click on View tab:

*img92.imageshack.us/img92/430/image5yk3.jpg

Now uncheck following options:

a.) Automatically search for network folders & printers.
b.) Display file size information in folder tips.
c.) Display simple folder view in Explorer’s Folders list.
d.) Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color. (I don’t use this option.)
e.) Show pop-up description for folder and desktop icons.
f.) Use simple file sharing.

Other remaining options are totally based upon user’s requirements, they usually don’t affect the performance! So u can enable/disable them acc. to ur requirements.

5.)
Right-click on My Computer icon on Desktop and select Manage. Now goto Services & Applications -> Services. Here you can set many services to Manual, which u don’t want to start as soon as the windows starts. Following is a thread, in which I posted a small tutorial for knowing about which service should be set to MANUAL and which should be set to AUTOMATIC:

Windows XP Services that can be Safely set to MANUAL

6.) Start -> Run and type msconfig, now goto Startup tab and uncheck the entries, which u don’t want to start automatically with the windows, like u can get display settings utility entry there, and many more.

7.) Open Sound & Audio Devices in Control Panel (or type mmsys.cpl in RUN), goto Sounds tab and select No Sounds in Sound Scheme section. Or u can remain some of ur favorite sounds there but set Exit Windows, Start Windows, Windows Logoff, Windows Logon to (None).

8.) For more options/tips-n-tricks for better performance, u can use TweakUI, Tuneup Utilities 2006 and gpedit.msc (Windows XP Professional built-in tool)!

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
good work need to be appreciated and rep'd :)

some may also find these links relevant and useful

MAKE WINXP STARTUP/SHUTDOWN FASTER !
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7879&highlight=start+shutdown+faster

How to Squeeze out the maximum performance from your WinXP
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12518&highlight=start+shutdown+faster

Disable uneccessary XP services ! gain resources !
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10359&highlight=start+shutdown+faster

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
thank u buddy.
i already use gpedit.msc and tuneup utilities.
never felt the need of anything else.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx guys!
I hv seen many times, members asking about how to make my XP faster? or how to shutdown XP faster? etc., thats why I posted this tutorial to help those members ;)

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
OK Vishal, it's really nice tute for users asking for improving windows performance. I use these options as well to increase performance but some what different from urs in section 3.)

Instead of making Custom selections, I set it to Adjust for best performance & then go in Desktop Properties and in Appearance tab, select a XP theme & apply it.

I was thinking to write a tute on this but I m busy in my job hunt.

Well, very nice tute. Thx again from all users who will find it useful for increasing performance.

satyamy

Alive Again...
I instead use Windows Classic Style
& than go to System Properties>Advance>Settings>Visual Effects
First click on "Adjust for Best Performance" & than just check 1 box "use common tasks in folders"
My XP is Running Fine in PIII with 256MB RAM
ne ways Thanks
"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001
Do we really need this wht does this do.......?
Pls explain

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
"ClearRecentDocsOnExit" => Clear documents/applications history when exiting windows.
"NoRecentDocsHistory" => Doesnt store the document history under My Documents menu.
"NoInternetOpenWith" => Doent prompt to search the application on Internet, when we select "Open With" for opening a file.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!
I hv added some more Registry tweaks in the first post.
Like:

1.) Removing Shared Documents folder from My Computer.
2.) Adding Copy To & Move To in context menu.
3.) Adding Command Prompt Here in context menu.
4.) Setting "Word Warp" & "Show Status Bar" in Notepad automatically.

These tweaks might come handy manytimes. ;)
I hope u'll like them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom