Massive Storage Options (apart from DVDs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
i have this data of almost 200 GBs .. i have taken it in 40 DVDs... but i cant afford if any of them gets corrupt...

What is the max size of HD availb in market? and what is the cost?

also... i want to make dvd images and store them...so if at all i want to make multiple copies of that 200 GB .. it shud be fast... writing 40 dvds will be a big pain everytime...

guys, can u suggest some decent options?

i will just repeat my query :-

i have these 40 DVDs which i might have to write many times...which cud be a pain...

is there any solution to minimize the headache?

i know you guys wont disappoint me... as always :)

a_medico

godzi_85

In the zone
you get 400 gb here.. i doubt if 500gb is available in the market right now.
400gb is above 12k afaik.

160gb would be around 3.5k
200gb is around 4.7k

all pata..

walking-techie

Journeyman
well u can opt for dual layered dvds and minimise the no of dvd's

as for hdd sizes available in india 400gb is the max limit..i doubt their are hdd with size greater than 400 gb yet (may be wrong here)

u can always opt for 2 400gb hdds.. but not sure if the os will be able to recognise that much size

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
if u hav a rockin bandwidth then u can upload ur data on several sites which allow free web storing. u shud make accounts on more than three different sites so that if ones loses any data then the other can have it.

i know even with a gud bandwidth, 200 GB is a bit too much but u can try compressing it to reduce the size with the help of 7-zip, u can get in any of the latest cds provided with digit.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
First of all, I wuld oppose the idea of spreading your data accross 40 DVDs as the data's reliablity comes down by a factor of 40.

Buy a 2x250 GB hrd disks. They are more reliable, cheaper and hassle-free than distributing the data over 40 DVDs.

Or better yet, get a tape drive as they are meant to be used as backup medium and comes in humungous capacities.

Also, unless u have bandwidth greater than a couple of Mbps, don't try to upload your data to web servers or gdrives as your money and patience will run out just like that. Compressing such huge amounts of data is also insane as you will need huge amounts of extra space and cpu time.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
siriusb said:
First of all, I wuld oppose the idea of spreading your data accross 40 DVDs as the data's reliablity comes down by a factor of 40.

Buy a 2x250 GB hrd disks. They are more reliable, cheaper and hassle-free than distributing the data over 40 DVDs.

Or better yet, get a tape drive as they are meant to be used as backup medium and comes in humungous capacities.

Also, unless u have bandwidth greater than a couple of Mbps, don't try to upload your data to web servers or gdrives as your money and patience will run out just like that. Compressing such huge amounts of data is also insane as you will need huge amounts of extra space and cpu time.

Uploading data is out of Q as i use reliance mobile to connect my laptop to net ... the speed is as good as dialup :D

Can you elaborate more on Tape Drive? Heard that term once in my life but dont really recall when... also try to quote approx price if possib..

as of now the HD options sounds the best..

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I've never used or familiar with a tape drive myself. You can wait for professional webservice owner members like Deep to help you with it.

All I know is that tape drives are the choice of data backup media for large corporations. These people take nightly backups of their database and files on these drives. Their capacity range from 50GB to tens of terabytes. But they are slow. Tape drives have many specification like raw capacity and compresed capacity, the kind of interface, format, etc which you might wanna research before buying.

digen

Youngling
Tape drives are/were the basic building blocks of data backup in any corporate or a small to medium sized network who care for their data.
But these days D2D[Disk to Disk] backup is slowly emerging & replacing the slow,painful tape drives.

This link should get you started on tape drives:*www.pctechguide.com/15tape_DLT.htm

Basically a tape drive is similar to a say opticial drive in appearance & it holds a opening for inserting & removing the tapes which are very small in size depending on their type.Here is a image of a tape drive just to give you a idea : *www.meanmachine.com/Tape/Internal/STD2401LWS.jpg

The place where I work part time had a couple of tape drives but now we are moving to d2d backup of data.
Plus we recently bought a Sun Solaris NAS 5210 [Network Attached Storage] which holds a maximum capacity of 1.7 Terabytes of data !

Eazy

Journeyman
I have 4 external USB drives for backups - one of these cases holds a 250GB PATA drive which copies data at 24mb/s.

Not sure if the Hitachi 500GB drive is available in PATA (scanned image of ad from Mumbai magazine attached) - if it is - then you could use this in an external USB2 case.

*img388.imageshack.us/img388/7936/hitachi500gb9fu.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom