Mandriva 2008.1 Free Ed. Installlation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
I got the DVD ver. from a Magazine .. I popped up the DVD and faced the Installation Problem.. with an error message "Installation Abruptly Ended" Now I requested the Magazine to send me an additional DVD cause the on I got with Magz. ws faulty.. They shipped me the DVD . Again I got the same error. . I was pissed.. I sent the DVD in my bro. system there the DVD didn't worked.. My friend asked me for Mandriva One 2008.1 CD.. SO I gave him the CD along with DVD .. The DVD ran fine in his computer. and installed KDE version ! :!:

What should be the problem. .I want to install Free edition ! What can be done ? Currently I am on Mandriva 2008.1 One ..

Regards

Check this.. Any idea of fixing the problem ?

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/16740_3cmlf/dsc01399.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
No where it is ? There are only 4 Options.. Bott thru Hard Disk, Install , System Rescue, Memory Test ! I tried the Bold Marked and got same error while loading !

BTW My computer specs are
Intel P4 2.8 ghz.
Intel 845 GVM RZ
768 MB Ram
80 Gb HDD

I hope this doesn't have any problem with installation.. Will buy a laptop soon .. The LFY team send me 2 DVD now I am so ashamed that none worked ! Well for my satisfaction I'll download myself the DVD ISO of Free Edition to check that if it actually works in my computer on not.. :""|

abhijangda

Padawan
have you booted your computer with digit dvd to install mandriva. Is this dvd is of this month (may). If yes then try copying iso image and then try making it's cd to install mandriva.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
I have the same currently installed but One .. I don't like it.. :p I want Free ed.. that's why I wanted the DVD to work for me :|

I have the same currently installed but One .. I don't like it.. :p I want Free ed.. that's why I wanted the DVD to work for me :|
incidentally, you got mandriva from linux for you magazine ?

and did you calculate the MD5 and SHA1 checksums of your DVD(s) and compare them with the offitial values to be sure you got the correct stuff ?

Renny

Padawan
Get the MD5 value of the ISO from the Mandriva site,

Use some tool like MD5sum(For Windows) and generate the MD5 hash value of the ISO file using this software,

Compare the 2 hash values and see if they match.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^^ I am using Linux. So how do I do that ? Tested today on another friend comp and it worked there too :x also where md5 value is located in Mandriva Site ?

Renny

Padawan
This is the md5 hash value:-

db8617b393a55926c04fd4ac772798ee

Its located on the download servers,

And I think linux has a builtin md5 verifier(I think command is md5sum).

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
*help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

look for MD5sum in disk itself with name of "md5sums"or similar.
I sure it must be present

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
This is the md5 hash value:-

db8617b393a55926c04fd4ac772798ee

Its located on the download servers,

And I think linux has a builtin md5 verifier(I think command is md5sum).
yeah
md5sum <filename.iso>

yeah
md5sum <filename.iso>
woops. I guess you can't use that to calculate md5sum of a cd. Instead, I advice thee to look into solutions for calculating md5sums of CDs. And I am not sure if the md5sums of iso is different from that of burnt media. Someone please confirm.

And md5 alone is not enough as its not fool-proof. Always use both md5 AND sha1 checksums.

Pat

Beyond Smart
No where it is ? There are only 4 Options.. Bott thru Hard Disk, Install , System Rescue, Memory Test ! I tried the Bold Marked and got same error while loading !

BTW My computer specs are

I hope this doesn't have any problem with installation.. Will buy a laptop soon .. The LFY team send me 2 DVD now I am so ashamed that none worked ! Well for my satisfaction I'll download myself the DVD ISO of Free Edition to check that if it actually works in my computer on not.. :""|

For text installation press [F1] at Mandriva Linux welcome screen, then type text at the prompt and enter. I am 99% sure that this is the right way to start the text installer!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
woops. I guess you can't use that to calculate md5sum of a cd. Instead, I advice thee to look into solutions for calculating md5sums of CDs. And I am not sure if the md5sums of iso is different from that of burnt media. Someone please confirm.

And md5 alone is not enough as its not fool-proof. Always use both md5 AND sha1 checksums.
IMHO md5sum should be enough.
if you want to test it then Try it in Virtualbox.

Follow the two points given below, and no need to check md5sum again

* Download from Torrents
* Burn The media at low speed around 8x-12x

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

yeah u can just give the path
/media/cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom