Mandrake 10.1Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- I extracted the MK files from the 3 iso's and have it in a folder mand in g: (hdc8) . i ran loadlin , with all.rdz and it asks for the medium from where to install . i give it as hdc8 ntfs . then it asks for the directory , iso or iso image . i give it as
tried

/mand/
/mand/isolinux
/mand//isolinux

it says " i want the directory /install/stage2 "

so i try

/mand/install/stage2
/mand//install/stage2

it says MK files not found . How should the path be specified ???????

UPDATE : ok was able to get into installer , text installer :( . just had to add ramdisk with loadlin

Now after partitioning it says looking for packages and says hdlists not found . i have the extracted files in ntfs hdc8 , which somehow got unmounted after partitioning . Bt fat32 is mounted . Is this normal ? can u install Linux from Hard Disk only from Fat32 . i tried mounting ntfs by changing to command prompt from one of the "ALT+" keys . it says skipping mount . Why ?

in the previous stage it asks for directory or iso image . so can i load mandrake by just copying the iso to hdd without extracting ??? . i tried to load iso directly from the dvd but it shows its not a mandrake cd/dvd

devianthulk

Broken In
In my opinion its not required to extract the iso files.
Just place the iso files as it is... preferably on a fat32 partition.

can u install Linux from Hard Disk only from Fat32
Not quite sure of this .... but i had kinda similar issues when
loading debian sarge from an iso image located on NTFS partition.

NOTE :- The iso exceeded 4GB limit ... so could not create the iso
on FAT32 partition.

How do I install Debian Sarge with the iso located on NTFS partition??
I created the DVD iso using Winimage.

Does any1 have a solution to this?

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
oops forgot to update .

Installed MK10.1 from isos placed in fat32 . wasnt able to load isos from ntfs as ntfs got unmounted after u partition . hope there is a solution .

- while installing software though , i installed the base cd1 first and while in mk10 i tried installing other packages , for this , unfortunately i had to extract the iso in fat32 and that works . will try to mount iso from the dvd itself and see if it works .

- regarding ur debian issue . only way i am able to boot into hard disk installation of linuxes is through dos/fat32 based loadlin . got an idea though . to load linux from ntldr , u extract the first 512 bytes of the linux partition and use it in boot.ini . if u could go into another version of working linux . try the same dd trick on the iso and make an entry in boot.ini , say debian install and see if it boots up . it is bound to ask for location as the dvd is missing . now try to give the path of debian in ntfs. long shot and confusing . lol

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
how to configure internet using a internal modem in mandrake 10.1.
i already searched the forum and the replies were not perfect and did noy work

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
which modem u got , give specs ???

check the utility scanmodem and it will tell u what ur modem is

*linmodems.technion.ac.il/

the drivers of most modems can be found here . once u provide more info we can try to make ur modem work :)

karan_sheth

Right off the assembly line
I have a P4 2.4GHz processor on an ASROCK-P4145GV motherboard which has a CMedia AC'97 sound card. I recently installed Mandrake 10.1, and configured my sound card by "alsaconf" as directed during installation and then enabled the sound system in both KDE and GNome, but at the time of booting it displays sound card not detected. When i play any sound/music through any player, i can hear it but it is of very low quality and the volume is too low (even when the player as well as Kmix are at full volume). The problem is not with my soundcard as it works very well in windows. I have another problem, My computer does not turn off through linux. It displays the message power down but doesnt turn off(I waited for more than a minute). I always have to reboot in windows and then turn off. Please help me with these problems.

naveenchandran

In the zone
karan_seth said:
I have another problem, My computer does not turn off through linux. It displays the message power down but doesnt turn off(I waited for more than a minute). I always have to reboot in windows and then turn off.

Even I have this problem :( any solution for this?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
How do you guys turn off the PC? I use a simple command as root

poweroff

it unloades linux and switches of the PC. There are other "fancy" commands but this one works just as good

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
hey whats are the 2 linux in bootloader lilo for

1 option is just linux (prob bably 2.6.8 kernel) and the other option (apart from windows and failsafe) is 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk

also when i boot in linux konqueror and filemanager dont work at all and amarok and some games crash and shows my pendrive as /mnt/removable as empty when it has stuff in it

also when i boot in 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk it says kernel 2.4 onwards needed for hotplug and hangs at searching for "enw hardware"

Satissh S

Youngling
It's probably for safe hardware or for using framebuffer graphics in your gfx card. Press e to edit the option and check in the kernel part and post what options are specified there. Guys may be able to tell, for what it is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom