Make your Windows XP load faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
When you turn on your computer, I think you all (windows XP users) noticed that booting takes quite a long time (appears a loading line and moves abour 15 times).. There is a decision for this:

1. Open notepad.exe, type "del c:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q" (without the quotes) & save as "ntosboot.bat" in c:\
2. From the Start menu, select "Run..." & type "gpedit.msc".
3. Double click "Windows Settings" under "Computer Configuration" and double click again on "Shutdown" in the right window.
4. In the new window, click "add", "Browse", locate your "ntosboot.bat" file & click "Open".
5. Click "OK", "Apply" & "OK" once again to exit.
6. From the Start menu, select "Run..." & type "devmgmt.msc".
7. Double click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
8. Right click on "Primary IDE Channel" and select "Properties".
9. Select the "Advanced Settings" tab then on the device or 1 that doesn't have 'device type' greyed out select 'none' instead of 'autodetect' & click "OK".
10. Right click on "Secondary IDE channel", select "Properties" and repeat step 9.
11. Reboot your computer.

It really helps .. not loading line moves about 2-3 times my pc boots more faster now Try it

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
well bud..i havnt written this under compition.....;) .....found it usefull so posted here...any ways..

pirates1323 ...i dont get u...u donn have adv settings under IDE ???? well to b frank it has to b there :p ....BTW sorry if i sound stupid..but u tryed this under XP/98 ?????

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Yup.... actually even i wanted to know......what are u doing with these settings....my system takes 7 movements in progress bar. :?: :?:

aadipa

Padawan
First part will clear the prefetch cache at the shutdown.
Windows prefetches the part of all files it need to boot, but if u install/uninstall many programs, the prefech folder is full of junk, unwanted files which are no longer on ur hdd, making the boot slower.

Second part: make be "Do not search for non existing IDE drives". I cann't check it coz i don't have XP here.

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
as pointed by Aadipa the 1st part cleans the Prefetch ..and the Boot Files to b precise...second part prevents XP from searching for new HDD..every time the PC boots..thus reducing the Bootup Time..

drvarunmehta ur Shutdown times incresed coz there seems to b lotto junk in ur Prefetch folder....go to Run->prefetch ..and see for ur self...

Nikhil...as ur on Home....so what u can try is do the second part.....and when ur shuttin down the PC....manually click the Bat file(sounds Hectic but guess try it until i find the solution to ur prob)...;)

amit_arya

Broken In
aadipa said:
Second part: make be "Do not search for non existing IDE drives". I cann't check it coz i don't have XP here.

I have not checked it in my current machine.. but in winxp (before sp1) with my P166MMX a harddisk that is disabled by bios can be accessed by winXP if power and ATA cable are attached....

Did not tried this stuff in any other machine .. but please confirm me on the same.. ps note you need atleast 2 HDD ... one that you disable and other to boot from.....

if this is true or even otherwise.... when WinXP boots it tries to identify all the devices atached.... if a new device is present then it installed the drivers for the same... by making it say none means that it will not detect the same... hence remm. when you add a new HDD/ DVD drive and stuff and it does not detect the same then you will have to enable these device type 0/1" or the correct channel else you will this it to be a bad controller and stuff...

i hope it will help you in realizing why the machine is booting a bit faster.
if you have 4 devices installed and all your primary/secondary master/slave already used up then you can use this trick but the prefetch trick can be used.

funkiguy_me

Broken In
can i reduce the shutdown time???

there are 123 files in my preftech folder of abt 3-4 mb.
do i need to clean these, is it all junk????
my shut down time is abt 10-15 sec, can i reduce the time???

heres the view of my preftech folder:
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/siddharthsikka/digiiiit.jpg

the extentions of files is .pf

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
well bud...the prefetch folder contains the info about the apps u used recently....and stores the info in prefetch for Faster Loading....but this also degrades the performence ..so will suggest u can safely delete all the files fm ur Prefetch folder....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom