Lumia 800 and Windows Phone - basic questions

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
First of all, has Lumia 800's battery issues been sorted?

Now coming to Windows Phone.

1) How is the contact sync? Is it like Android?
2) Do you need to use a Hotmail account for syncing stuff?
3) Migration from Nokia E63. Will Nokia PC Suite make this possible? Over 5,000 contacts will need to be transferred.
4) Is Opera Mobile browser there for WP7.5?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
3.Nope.Lumia 800 uses Zune.
Stiil you can use this:*allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/13828_How_to_Get_your_contacts_direc.php
4.Not available Yet.

Last edited:
OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Contacts Transfer From Symbian To Nokia Lumia 800 - YouTube <-- contact transfer. People commenting that it's not working with E71. And E63 is E71's younger brother.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
This looks suspicious, but seems there is an improvement afterall
Nokia Lumia 800 battery life gets a threefold improvement - GSMArena.com news
Nokia's latest update fixes Lumia 800 battery life

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
4)uc web browser is available + opera link for WP is available which gives you access to your spped dial/ bookmarks etc

800 battery is much better now

red dragon

Master troll
Need a solution for the transfer query. :(

There is a nice contact transfer app in lumia,through which you can copy your contacts from a Symbian phone(via Bluetooth)
Pretty straight forward app,only problem is that it won't work the other way around(importing contact from lumia to the Symbian)

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
There is a nice contact transfer app in lumia,through which you can copy your contacts from a Symbian phone(via Bluetooth)
Pretty straight forward app,only problem is that it won't work the other way around(importing contact from lumia to the Symbian)

I posted the video of that above. People are saying it doesn't work with E71. Doubt it will work with E63 then. :(

Any other solution?

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Need a solution for the transfer query. :(

what i did

synced my symbian phone's address book with outlook
created a csv file
uploaded it to my live id address book
WP automatically syncs with your live id address book so now i have all my contacts on my phone

Simples! :mrgreen:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I don't have Samsung Focus right now, will check to see its contacts sync after I go back home on Monday...

I clearly remember seeing People's hub in WP7. All known contacts from Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp were synced and repeat contacts on all these platforms were linked together...

I will check it out and update about contacts sync from Gmail or Hotmail...

Zune might have an option to import contacts from excel file, but I am not sure about it...

Setup Instructions - Google Mobile Help

and then

Set up and Delete Email Account | Windows Live, Hotmail, & Google Email | Set up Email Account | Windows Phone 7

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1) How is the contact sync? Is it like Android?
2) Do you need to use a Hotmail account for syncing stuff?
3) Migration from Nokia E63. Will Nokia PC Suite make this possible? Over 5,000 contacts will need to be transferred.
4) Is Opera Mobile browser there for WP7.5?

1. I synced the contacts from a Nokia Phone to Windows phone through Outlook, much in the same way as ssk_the_gr8 did. Except I had problem exporting contacts from Nokia to Outlook. (I had to export those in .vcf format and then had to open them in outlook, and manually save each of the contacts by pressing ctrl+s. After which it was simple as described by ssk).
But the point is, it CAN BE done.

2. Yes. Just like a google ID is needed to sync everthing in Android, you need a live ID to sync stuff with a windows phone. Pretty obvious I think.

3. You will be transferring stuff from a Nokia phone to a Nokia which should be simple. But the thing is, a windows phone needs Zune. And I have not found any built in option in Zune to sync contacts. But contacts can be synced as described above.

4. One think which sucks for me on Windows phone is IE (yeah, on phone too :p, Can't save password. Not good tab management etc.). Havn't try UC browser until yet. But will do it soon.

(Cause, I now "own" the HTC Mozart :) )

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ok, I have an exciting update. Or rather correction.

Previously I thought that there is a need for a live ID (or a hotmail etc) to sync contacts with your phone. But I can gladly say it ain't the case.

Today I did a reset of my HTC Mozart and there were no contacts in my hotmail account. As I then discovered that the phone did show an option to add an account under the settings in contacts (section named "People" to be precise). I used the credentials of my Google account, and voila(!) all my contacts which were under GMail account were synced automatically in the windows phone!! :bananana:

As a test I did something. I created a dummy contact on my Android phone and waited for sync to complete. And I was happy to discover that the same contact synced to the Mozart. So I can draw a conclusion, that I no longer have to deal with the complexities of contacts dealing with the two completely platforms, Android and WP7. And I thank the MNC's to have taken care of that! :D

PS: While creating a contact on WP7 too it ask for the account under which to save it. So if you save it on Google account, it will automatically be synced to Android! There by resolving the issue of sync on both sides for you.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Ok, I have an exciting update. Or rather correction.

Previously I thought that there is a need for a live ID (or a hotmail etc) to sync contacts with your phone. But I can gladly say it ain't the case.

Today I did a reset of my HTC Mozart and there were no contacts in my hotmail account. As I then discovered that the phone did show an option to add an account under the settings in contacts (section named "People" to be precise). I used the credentials of my Google account, and voila(!) all my contacts which were under GMail account were synced automatically in the windows phone!! :bananana:

As a test I did something. I created a dummy contact on my Android phone and waited for sync to complete. And I was happy to discover that the same contact synced to the Mozart. So I can draw a conclusion, that I no longer have to deal with the complexities of contacts dealing with the two completely platforms, Android and WP7. And I thank the MNC's to have taken care of that! :D

PS: While creating a contact on WP7 too it ask for the account under which to save it. So if you save it on Google account, it will automatically be synced to Android! There by resolving the issue of sync on both sides for you.

WP7 integrates Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Whatsapp, etc contacts awesomely well... People's hub is an excellent idea... Android will have that one day...

X-jo

Broken In
I don't have Samsung Focus right now, will check to see its contacts sync after I go back home on Monday...

where did you get the Samsung Focus from? Is it the Samsung Focus S you talking about? how much did you pay for it?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
where did you get the Samsung Focus from? Is it the Samsung Focus S you talking about? how much did you pay for it?

I got it from eBay India for 13k... No warranty gray market product... But works awesomely fine...

Only today, I jailbroke the phone (Interop unlock) and installed Nokia Drive on Samsung Focus... ;)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Looks like you have experience in Window break! Can you please answer my queries on Windows phone thread?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/151948-windows-phone-thread-3.html#post1622548

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
^^ Looks like you have experience in Window break! Can you please answer my queries on Windows phone thread?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/151948-windows-phone-thread-3.html#post1622548

I have not flashed a custom ROM on Samsung Focus... Its just an unlock method. HTC, LG and Samsung have different methods and tools for unlocking them. There is no similarity...

I don't really know about HTC Mozart custom ROMs...

Top Bottom