Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Still 520 tops the WP8 devices, all over the world.
Victory for Nokia, after a very long time..

*winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/imagecache/large_img/uploads/2013/12/wp-usage-dec13.jpg

*winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-device-stats-december-2013

You might want to rephrase as victory for Lumia 520 in the world of Win8 phones :) as other manufacturers hardly have couple of win8 mobiles. :)

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Never Buy Lumia 520 or any phone....
Taking it...u will find yourself 10 year back....
its crap os with all restrictions.
Even a low end JAVA mob is better than wp8.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
^ WP hater.
What? Java is better than WP8 out there?

No one's gonna hold same phone for 10 years!!

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
^ WP hater.
What? Java is better than WP8 out there?

No one's gonna hold same phone for 10 years!!
actually i am not a hater....i am a user of lumia 520 from last 4 month....
Though i have cooperated with it...and using it in anyway....but...in reality...
I find it Total crap for a person Who expect his most of work via a smart phone....
actually wp8 could be better....But fall down due to sux policies of ms and nokia...its fact.
i too purchased this phone....thought something differ....But came to reality that i cant depend on this phone...
every time i need a lappy to work around with wp8 phone....
ashamed and closed API via MS...
Come across to point of wp8 phones:
* No file manager.
* no much app and games...most need 1 gb ram.
* poor ie browser...cant download or upload.
* no front can.
* poor Ms office...cant insert an image with file...
* cant save on sd direct.
* cant move app to sd.
* no power in inbuilt player to play flv or mkv etc.
* most apps are paid.
* cant install outer than store.
* no opera, Mozilla or valuable apps available.
* Most apps available in store with real name but fake.
* API are closed....u cant root or sideload apps.
* U need to purchase developer account to sideload app...if u dont have .edu mail.
* Not much support for 512 MB ram users ...my develpers.
* for a tiny work or task u everytime need to connect with pC.
* No USB Modem or Tethering support.
* U cant use Net on PC if there is no wifi support.
* u cant edit, copy, paste, Rename, etc basic work on this OS.
* No OTG support.
-----------
Only one Pros is Good Tuch response IPS display...lol...
peoples purchased wp8 phones....Because actually they dont aware of full reality of wp OS...
when they came to know the reality...that was too late and waste of money...Like me.
Recommend to Not buy any windows phone ever....

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Though i have cooperated with it...and using it in anyway....but...in reality...
I find it Total crap for a person Who expect his most of work via a smart phone....
actually wp8 could be better....But fall down due to sux policies of ms and nokia...its fact.
i too purchased this phone....thought something differ....But came to reality that i cant depend on this phone...
* No file manager. - - yea. a missing feature
* no much app and games...most need 1 gb ram. - there are many apps available. you have to search and fine. store will not always brings good apps to the front.not all games are available. but still, it serves the purpose as many quality games are available for 520.again you have to search and find.
* poor ie browser...cant download or upload. - i use ucweb
* no front can. - you cant expect from a nokia phone which costs just rs 7500. can you?
* poor Ms office...cant insert an image with file... - true
* cant save on sd direct. -- pictures /videos captured by phone goes directly into sd card if you have changed the settings to save on sd cards only.
* cant move app to sd. - what if you swap memory card with another? will you be able to use the apps by then?
* no power in inbuilt player to play flv or mkv etc. - try Moliplayer. it can do everything you want. purchase it if you really find a use of it.support the developers
* most apps are paid. -there are free too. although i am missing a very good video player app for free
* cant install outer than store. -- why do you even want to?do you want to pirate ? think as you were a developer. developing apps/games is not as easy walking or running.
* no opera, Mozilla or valuable apps available. -true
* Most apps available in store with real name but fake. ---some of them are
* API are closed....u cant root or sideload apps. -why do you want to root . it is not android with several versions like 2.3 ,4.0,4.1,4.2,4.3 etc. it is just one os. you can install apps from memory card without downloading the apps on phone, care to call it sideloading?
* U need to purchase developer account to sideload app...if u dont have .edu mail.
* Not much support for 512 MB ram users ...my develpers. - well you cant cry it to play very demanding games/apps, right?if it is able to play , then how can nokia sell their top end phones? dont they need profit? you should have got 1gb lumia if you really wanted one. shouldnt you?
* No USB Modem or Tethering support. -no usb modem support. but no tethering? check setting now itself
* u cant edit, copy, paste, Rename, etc basic work on this OS. - -- if its an image /video ,then you cant rename. what do you want to edit? you can copy, paste texts and there are image editors too. try fantasia painter. one of the best i have seen
* No OTG support. - true. no windows phone supports it
-----------

quoted answers. it seems you dont own a 520 lol.
i have one more question. care to answer?
give me the name of a phone which is at the same range of lumia 520(rs 7500 currently) with the availability of all the features specified by you with lag free experience and ofcourse a branded one?

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
quoted answers. it seems you dont own a 520 lol.
i have one more question. care to answer?
give me the name of a phone which is at the same range of lumia 520(rs 7500 currently) with the availability of all the features specified by you with lag free experience and ofcourse a branded one?
U r wrong here....
I am actually using it....and written my experience...
And Dont Need To be a fake review....
pls Your Word.
------------
When i purchased...i got it at 9800/- and was very exited....But got the reality soon....
using it from last 4 month...
its belong to nokia and a branded phone...ofcourse ...thats why i purchased it...after selling my mmx a110...
But WP8 OS made this phone totally waste....

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
U r wrong here....
I am actually using it....and written my experience...
And Dont Need To be a fake review....
pls Your Word.
------------
When i purchased...i got it at 9800/- and was very exited....But got the reality soon....
using it from last 4 month...
its belong to nokia and a branded phone...ofcourse ...thats why i purchased it...after selling my mmx a110...
But WP8 OS made this phone totally waste....

only one thing to tell. before buying anything , read as many as reviews as you can.watch as many as videos as you can. because it is your money you are spending, and if you dont find a use of of it, then you are wasting your your money.. if you needed all those features, 520 was definitely not for you.. but for the price, it is just better than any chinese craps.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
there are many apps available. you have to search and fine. store will not always brings good apps to the front.not all games are available. but still, it serves the purpose as many quality games are available for 520.again you have to search and find.
Not much....Most apps are useless...and crap...
Good apps are paid....and Most good games are for 1 GB ram...
And 1 Gb games increasing for wp8....not much options...

try Moliplayer. it can do everything you want. purchase it if you really find a use of it.support the developers
Moliplayer is trial for 15 days....Need to purchase again....as i told earlier...
One is phantom player free....but not too much good...just basic.

why do you want to root . it is not android with several versions like 2.3 ,4.0,4.1,4.2,4.3 etc. it is just one os. you can install apps from memory card
if we purchase a smart phone...we expect eveything and customization with OS....why Not?
Closed API...makes OS too much limited for developers.

well you cant cry it to play very demanding games/apps, right?if it is able to play , then how can nokia sell their top end phones? dont they need profit? you should have got 1gb lumia if you really wanted one. shouldnt you?
well Not every High end Game....But user expect those games atleast which are fairly running on android with 512 RAm support....
Its one more OS limitation....its allow very les memory for games on 512 MB RAM on Wp8 OS

no usb modem support. but no tethering? check setting now itself
u still confused here bro...i am Talking about USB tethering...Not about wifi thethering...ok.

if its an image /video ,then you cant rename. what do you want to edit? you can copy, paste texts and there are image editors too. try fantasia painter. one of the best i have seen
U still did not got....u cant manage your files...because no actual File explorer and manager....
And its a tiny work every day with every user to cut, copy pasted rename , delete their files from one folder to another....
But u cant do it in wp8.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Not much....Most apps are useless...and crap...
Good apps are paid....and Most good games are for 1 GB ram...
And 1 Gb games increasing for wp8....not much options...
Which specific apps you feel you are missing? of course 1gb games will be increasing. even 720 has 512 mb. i dont think nokia will avoid us
Moliplayer is trial for 15 days....Need to purchase again....as i told earlier...

Moliplayer is one of the best player out there. if you really like/want it, then purchase. support the developers. it is a well made apps considering the restrictions set up by MS
if we purchase a smart phone...we expect eveything and customization with OS....why Not?
Closed API...makes OS too much limited for developers.

which version you want to root? windows is not like android and it does not have many versions like android has. you still receive latest updates even on you low end lumia unlike android. have you received any such considerable updates on your a110?
well Not every High end Game....But user expect those games atleast which are fairly running on android with 512 RAm support....
Its one more OS limitation....its allow very les memory for games on 512 MB RAM on Wp8 OS
which games you miss so much?

u still confused here bro...i am Talking about USB tethering...Not about wifi thethering...ok.
ok :)
U still did not got....u cant manage your files...because no actual File explorer and manager....
And its a tiny work every day with every user to cut, copy pasted rename , delete their files from one folder to another....
But u cant do it in wp8.

file manager is likely to come with WP 8.1. not sure though.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
WP8 is growing. It's not a well established OS like Android/OS. You/we've to wait for few, to enjoy some features.
Even the early users of Android/iOS could've blamed the OS at first.

At this price point in WP, L520 is a WFM for the every penny you spend. You should've done a bit of research before buying.
Buying the product first and blaming it after few days, is not good.

After the trial period of 15 days, uninstall and reinstall it. You will get another 15 days.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
@rijinpk1 and Flash
Thanks for both of u answering and Replying...
But Using wp8 OS currently is not a good choice according to me....
in future wp8.1 comming....but its still not certain it have open API or File managers...
Currently only rumors are available...
But hopping for a good Up gradation.
--------------
And @Flash....about installing/reinstalling Moli player...its a again a new burden for the user...again and again download....Not a good way....
actually there is another trick...Just change your mob date to back....and use moli player without re installing....
* But actually its not expected with a smart OS...
That why i feel OLd nokia symbian or java mobs are far more better than current Wp8 OS.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
But Using wp8 OS currently is not a good choice according to me....

It does everything a phone is supposed to do and more. The 520 doesn't even cost a bomb and is an excellent value-for-money purchase for someone looking for a smartphone on a budget.
Plus, you have Skydrive storage, social networks unification under the people hub, a fluid UI, frequent updates from Nokia, freedom to develop your own custom apps (without learning to code) using App Studio, a decent camera, unified messaging (FB + SMS), XBox games and so on.

in future wp8.1 comming....but its still not certain it have open API or File managers...

The lack of a file manager and how you can make do without one, has been dealt with in detail previously.

about installing/reinstalling Moli player...its a again a new burden for the user...again and again download....Not a good way....
actually there is another trick...Just change your mob date to back....and use moli player without re installing....
* But actually its not expected with a smart OS...

If you like it so much, buy it. It costs just 160 bucks, which is a pittance compared to the ~10K you spent on buying the phone in the first place.

That why i feel OLd nokia symbian or java mobs are far more better than current Wp8 OS.

Uh... No. Just no.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
It does everything a phone is supposed to do and more. The 520 doesn't even cost a bomb and is an excellent value-for-money purchase for someone looking for a smartphone on a budget.
Plus, you have Skydrive storage, social networks unification under the people hub, a fluid UI, frequent updates from Nokia, freedom to develop your own custom apps (without learning to code) using App Studio, a decent camera, unified messaging (FB + SMS), XBox games and so on.

The lack of a file manager and how you can make do without one, has been dealt with in detail previously.

If you like it so much, buy it. It costs just 160 bucks, which is a pittance compared to the ~10K you spent on buying the phone in the first place.

Uh... No. Just no.
U r far away to Get the mentality of normal indian user....
I can purchase ....but not all....
Also Dont going to upload download with such a tiny work for skydrive....its costly for paid net user...
U cant get the point....
Keep happy with such crap wp8...huh....
No More Reply next....

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
U r far away to Get the mentality of normal indian user....
I can purchase ....but not all....
Also Dont going to upload download with such a tiny work for skydrive....its costly for paid net user...
U cant get the point....
Keep happy with such crap wp8...huh....
No More Reply next....

If the mentality of the "normal Indian user" is to milk a cow until it runs dry, without ever bothering to feed it or take care of it... :rolleyes:
Not ALL apps need to be purchased. If you know you can't survive without a particular program, go ahead and buy it. It's well within an average guy's budget.
No one wants to spend money, but sometimes a program is so good it deserves your money.
90% of the apps on my phone are free, but the remaining 10% are worth every penny I spent on them.

And yes, I'm pretty happy with my phone (L820). I also got three of my friends into WP (two L520s and an L625).They're pretty happy as well.
And only a few days ago my wife got herself an HTC 8X. She's also happy with her phone. :D

You should have done your research before spending ~10K on a phone that you cannot stand now. ;)

ranjitsd

Journeyman
* No file manager.
* no much app and games...most need 1 gb ram.
* poor ie browser...cant download or upload.
* no front can.
* poor Ms office...cant insert an image with file...
* cant save on sd direct.
* cant move app to sd.
* no power in inbuilt player to play flv or mkv etc.
* most apps are paid.
* cant install outer than store.
* no opera, Mozilla or valuable apps available.
* Most apps available in store with real name but fake.
* API are closed....u cant root or sideload apps.
* Not much support for 512 MB ram users ...my develpers.
* No USB Modem or Tethering support.
* u cant edit, copy, paste, Rename, etc basic work on this OS.
* No OTG support.
-----------
peoples purchased wp8 phones....Because actually they dont aware of full reality of wp OS...
when they came to know the reality...that was too late and waste of money...Like me.

which 1gb ram game u want to play most games which are free are optimised for 512mb ram
Problem about fake apps android as more fake apps then wp8
And for rest which android mobile give that features more 520 under 10k need to sell my Lumia and buy one feature rich android mobile

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Hey Amir.php, you made a mistake to buy a L520 in the first place for your needs, no research before purchase huh? Now THATS Indian mentality right there. :|

If the mentality of the "normal Indian user" is to milk a cow until it runs dry, without ever bothering to feed it or take care of it... :rolleyes:
Not ALL apps need to be purchased. If you know you can't survive without a particular program, go ahead and buy it. It's well within an average guy's budget.
No one wants to spend money, but sometimes a program is so good it deserves your money.
90% of the apps on my phone are free, but the remaining 10% are worth every penny I spent on them.

And yes, I'm pretty happy with my phone (L820). I also got three of my friends into WP (two L520s and an L625).They're pretty happy as well.
And only a few days ago my wife got herself an HTC 8X. She's also happy with her phone. :D

You should have done your research before spending ~10K on a phone that you cannot stand now. ;)

+1. Amen.

H2O

Journeyman
I love it.

I'm no app maniac and the basic purpose I use my phone is for calls and browsing etc. And, It does both quite well. There are a couple of good addictive games like Naargh and Wordament which are more than good enough timepass.

Top Bottom