Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

ashs1

Padawan
I couldn't find the exact no. of windows phone mobiles sold, but here's what i found :
Nokia states that 5.6 million Lumia devices were sold in Q1 2013, a sizeable increase when compared against the 4.4 million sold the previous quarter.

More here : Nokia Lumia 520 is the most popular Windows Phone, according to new data | Windows Phone Central

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Overall, Windows Phone is struggling. A recent IDC report puts its global market share at 2.6% in the fourth quarter. It sold only 3.6 million more phones in the fourth quarter compared to a year previous. Android, meanwhile, had a 70.1% market share, and sold 74.8 million more phones than a year previous. And iOS had a 21% market share, and sold 10.8 million more phones than a year previous.

So Nokia can celebrate a 27 percent increase all it wants, but it only means that Windows Phone falls each quarter further behind its competitors.

Nokia sales figures show Windows Phone continues to fall futher behind Android, iOS | Computerworld Blogs

And with trouble in paradise between Nokia and Microsoft already as Nokia pays more than 150 million dollars quarterly as licensing fees to Microsoft they have every right to be annoyed with a good device but with lacking apps,finally a dud.The concern here is if Nokia abandons the project [they have done that before too] and moves to android what will be the future of those devices.In fact its now more than 3 years since Windows has released OS for phones and its still in the Worst state possible in apps department among smartphone OS developers.Is Microsoft serious at all,or they just want to compete the Zune way???
I hope Pranav stops making the Lumia too prudish and be NEUTRAL than GLORIFYING even the negatives,and make more responsible posts. Be a man.

Last edited:

Gauravs90

geek........
Overall, Windows Phone is struggling. A recent IDC report puts its global market share at 2.6% in the fourth quarter. It sold only 3.6 million more phones in the fourth quarter compared to a year previous. Android, meanwhile, had a 70.1% market share, and sold 74.8 million more phones than a year previous. And iOS had a 21% market share, and sold 10.8 million more phones than a year previous.

So Nokia can celebrate a 27 percent increase all it wants, but it only means that Windows Phone falls each quarter further behind its competitors.

Nokia sales figures show Windows Phone continues to fall futher behind Android, iOS | Computerworld Blogs

And with trouble in paradise between Nokia and Microsoft already as Nokia pays more than 150 million dollars quarterly as licensing fees to Microsoft they have every right to be annoyed with a good device but with lacking apps,finally a dud.The concern here is if Nokia abandons the project [they have done that before too] and moves to android what will be the future of those devices.In fact its now more than 3 years since Windows has released OS for phones and its still in the Worst state possible in apps department among smartphone OS developers.Is Microsoft serious at all,or they just want to compete the Zune way???
I hope Pranav stops making the Lumia too prudish and be NEUTRAL than GLORIFYING even the negatives,and make more responsible posts. Be a man.

Stop the childish behaviour NOW.

In the above article it also said that nokia is still growing but at smaller rate than android and ios. That is what this article is all about but lumia market share is still growing, common its only a year when wp8 is released and nokia is already doing great in mid range segment. If you don't want lumia or nokia or windows phone do not buy it. Why you are hell bent on proving wp wrong. It's a great os. It's a OS and some people like it the way it is.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Let me get this straight. You dare question my taste - a guy who owned a WP device for months and loved it - and then accuse me of misinformation without ever owning a device yourself ?
Looks very mature of you huh ?
Looks very mature of you when you had your opinions masqueraded as facts blasted off by me to more pieces than your beloved android phones sold this quarter ?

That is the last to I will respond to your trolling here. I can very well report you but I wont. Go away.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
@Incinerator: Why're you having so much grudge against WP. One can't compare the marketshare of WP against Android.
Android began as beta in 2007, whereas WP(7) came out in 2010 only.

So, its illogical to compare 3-year old OS against 6-year old OS when dealing with market shares.
We know WP is not perfect; but we love the imperfecti OS hoping that, it will be perfect one day.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I love WP @ gearbox its not that I hate or loathe it.I had a L520 too. But lack of apps and customization options made me move away from it. The problem here in the thread is people cant stand a single negative quality of the device or the OS,even if its true.For example ,when I write or Loathe "countless useless android apps just for the sake of it" some fanboys here wont say a qorf against my views,but one thing though but a negative they will be up in arms. Thats wrong, plain fanboyism. I dont mind the argument here as long it is enriching.

Stop the childish behaviour NOW.

In the above article it also said that nokia is still growing but at smaller rate than android and ios. That is what this article is all about but lumia market share is still growing, common its only a year when wp8 is released and nokia is already doing great in mid range segment. If you don't want lumia or nokia or windows phone do not buy it. Why you are hell bent on proving wp wrong. It's a great os. It's a OS and some people like it the way it is.

Childish behaviour for what speaking facts with links? Ha ha ha.

It is a great OS are you serious? 4 years where are the apps.? They still cant decide which one to settle for.Even simple stuff like bluetooth and radio is/was a luxury in WP. Great OS. LOL

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I love WP @ gearbox its not that I hate or loathe it.I had a L520 too. But lack of apps and customization options made me move away from it. The problem here in the thread is people cant stand a single negative quality of the device or the OS,even if its true.For example ,when I write or Loathe "countless useless android apps just for the sake of it" some fanboys here wont say a qorf against my views,but one thing though but a negative they will be up in arms. Thats wrong, plain fanboyism. I dont mind the argument here as long it is enriching.

It is a great OS are you serious? 4 years where are the apps.? They still cant decide which one to settle for.Even simple stuff like bluetooth and radio is/was a luxury in WP. Great OS. LOL

You know what, I am gonna address this myself. To hell with not answering you. Let me dissect your arguments one by one:

1. Lack of apps : Yes, nobody denies that. You moved away from the OS because you find it restricting, good for you. Some of us found the apps we were looking for, we stayed/ are staying, good for us.

2. Greatness? : Do you know how to differentiate opinions from facts ? You want customisation, some others want ease of use. Who is right? Nobody. Its called personal preference/choice. You are here hell bent on proving that an OS that doesnt let you customise your launcher is 'poor'. What makes you different from a fanatic thats hell bent on killing people because of his beliefs that he mistakes for absolute truth ? What you stated is a preference not an absolute fact. Countless launchers later, I am yet to see a prettier interface than WP. But do I try to "prove" it to you? No. thats because I have grown up enough to realise that the people have different tastes and thats totally fine. Do you understand that?

3. You want us to oppose your views when you express displeasure on android ? I cant speak for the others here, but I dont even see the android threads generally because I dont care much for them. If somebody loves Android, good for them. Why should I try impose my opinions on them ?

If anything, it shows your lack of maturity when you refuse to accept the simple fact that not everybody think like you and that there are no absolutes ina lot of things in life, mobile OSes included.
If you want a "enriching discussion" then show some genuine intent. Open up your mind to accept the basic necessity of a discussion - that other people may have conflicting views and that does not make them wrong. Back up your statements with some kind of verifiable proof. Also, popularity is not a measure of 'greatness'. Just look at Justin Beiber.

Yes WP is a fantastic OS IMO. The BEST OS I have ever used on a phone. :stirpot:
Come at me bro... :chucks: :lol:

Last edited:

Gauravs90

geek........

Bluetooth and Radio both are present in GDR2 aka amber update and all the devices will get this update next month.

And now about your childish behaviour I have seen so far.

1. You were saying lumia 520 should be sold at rs4000 because it only got wp as a os and you were not seeing the fact that it got much superior hardware. You know what, hardware cost money to manufacturers not OS. Isn't this childish.

2. You are saying that it dosen't get apps. Yes it has not much apps as android and ios cause it is a lot newer os just only 3yr old. How can you expect the os to grow at superfast rate. Isn't this childish.

3. You are ranting about customization in wp8. You should know microsoft made it that way to ensure it's fluidness. You are thinking it's a negative point of an OS. Isn't this childish.

4. Every now and then you are posting negative news of nokia & microsoft. Isn't this childish.

5. You think that only your taste matters about customization and apps . Isn't this childish.

And I don't know how much technical knowledge you have but for your information wp8 is using same windows NT kernel that you use in your PC( windows CE kernel was used in wp7 and it was abandoned by microsoft in favor of Windows NT kernel), that's why I called it as great OS because it got many potential to grow.

Last edited:

kaudey

Journeyman
Hahaha...this is too entertaining. @Pranav, just a word of advice; ignore. But I guess you are too much in love with WP :D

@Incinerator, your point, as I understand is that WP is not a perfect OS;taken. But cant you see nobody gives a damn what u say??? I was one of the firsts to vote in this thread as an owner and I have seen the number rising steadily, which means the guys are coming here, having a good laugh at your comments (its very entertaining :D) and then buying the phone and voting here.

I
never found the lack of apps very disturbing as I could get everything done with whatever was available. I never found the use of customizing or rooting the OS and I am very happy with WP because of it is very well optimized for the phone. WP is one of the best OSes in my opinion. But this is a fact that this is one of the most VFM phone. Come on, just because Reliance is a pioneer in oil market doesnt mean it will make a good cellular carrier too.

Being critical of everything doesnt make you neutral, it makes you whiny. If you are what you claim (the wise old owl), then you would be able to differentiate between opinions and fact by now.

But don't stop trolling, its really very entertaining :D.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Can't we just install WP8 launcher on an Android device and feel like we own both Android as well as Windows phone in one? Have benefits of both OS even while owning just Android?
I am asking coz someone said they love the UI of wp8 so that can be replicated quite well on Android as well while still having the advantages of of Android.

reniarahim1

Youngling
do u expect the wp8 launcher to as smooth as wp8. i had installed wp8 launcher in my android mobile and had to remove it with in few hours. now i own a lumia 720 and is very happy with the device.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Hahaha...this is too entertaining. @Pranav, just a word of advice; ignore. But I guess you are too much in love with WP :D

Well, I tried to ignore him about 30 posts ago. But there comes a point when it gets on my nerves, somebody trying to masquerade an opinion as a fact. And here I am very well placed to counter it, having owned a WP device for over 6 months until 4 days ago when my 920 was stolen in a bus :(

Yeah, I am now finding it pretty entertaining. Its a pleasure to be able to mercilessly criticize someone who comes up with incoherent arguments just like those envangelists who call upon bananas and stuff to support their money-making schemes :D
Guess I should try and visit those Android forums and try and talk about lag and stuff y'know.. JK :D

ashs1

Padawan
do u expect the wp8 launcher to as smooth as wp8. i had installed wp8 launcher in my android mobile and had to remove it with in few hours. now i own a lumia 720 and is very happy with the device.

that depends on your phone.
I use the Launcher8( an app for windows 8 theme ) on my xperia L. I've been using it for about a 20 days now & i haven't faced lag due to it. Maybe you had lots of apps already installed which could've caused more lag.. :O

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Can't we just install WP8 launcher on an Android device and feel like we own both Android as well as Windows phone in one? Have benefits of both OS even while owning just Android?
I am asking coz someone said they love the UI of wp8 so that can be replicated quite well on Android as well while still having the advantages of of Android.

If that rocks your boat, then sure.

If you are asking for an opinion from us, then while I personally havent used it, the comments I hear about it (and a few screen shots that I saw as well) dont make me inclined to try it. While in typical android style it seems a lot more feature-filled as opposed to the WP8's interface that plain and clutter free it also seems to lose the simplistic beauty and coherence that defines WP. Its very hard to describe the WP8 interface unless you have spend good time with it or you have followed it heavily. For people concerned about design like me, the WP8 interface is a dream come true. Thats my two cents.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Well, I tried to ignore him about 30 posts ago. But there comes a point when it gets on my nerves, somebody trying to masquerade an opinion as a fact. And here I am very well placed to counter it, having owned a WP device for over 6 months until 4 days ago when my 920 was stolen in a bus :(
Sad to hear. Which one are you using now?

Everybody is free to voice their opinion; but the problem arises when one is arguing his argument is right and others are wrong(or not right).
That's what happened here. Sorry incenerator, you are too good in providing correct PC configurations and other tech stuffs, but you're wrong in WP. :|

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz

Yeah, I am now finding it pretty entertaining. Its a pleasure to be able to mercilessly criticize someone who comes up with incoherent arguments just like those envangelists who call upon bananas and stuff to support their money-making schemes :D
Guess I should try and visit those Android forums and try and talk about lag and stuff y'know.. JK :D
Stolen Lumia 920 ? That's why its so risky to buy expensive phones in India.No shortage of robbers and theives here.Even registering ba complaint with police is no use.The entire system here sucks ass.God save my country :(

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yeah stolen. Went to the police station, the police were nice and friendly, even genuinely sorry to hear about it. They did note the IMEI, but said there was little hope of getting it back. One good thing about WP is that AFAIK, you cannot change its IMEI unlike other handsets. But then again , no real hope of getting it back. Right now on LG Optimus 2x.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
@pranav: Whether this will be of any help?
Find a lost phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

But am not sure, whether this is possible in India.. :|

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
Camera is rwally nice and the apps for it are mind blowing..
battery is average..

I don't understand why the battery has to be either average or poor in most smartphones be it either android or windows.I can understand that hi end phones will suck battery faster but atleast the manufacturers must make sure that entry level devices last atleast 2 days on normal usage.Outfitting every device with low or average battery life really grinds me no matter which phone one buys. For example Nokia put 1430mah battery in L520.Why not 2000mah ?How much more would it cost them to put a better battery ?if WP8 is supposed to be more efficient than android Nokia certainly isn't proving that atleast in terms of battery life of their devices.If android last 1 day on normal use WP8 should last 2 days.But this is clearly not happening ?

Top Bottom