Low percentage...am I a goner?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi all,

I love coding and can code very well in C/C++/Java and to some extent in C#. I want to get into a career in Software Development, I really want to get into it. However, my average percentage is coming to about 57% (B.E. Comp. Engg.). My concepts of coding is clear and I can code almost any application, but I doubt if my percentage will jeopardize my plans. So, can I get any job as a Software Developer or am I a goner? Please tell me.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
yeah with this percentage it is really difficult to get into a good s/w organization. I am sorry I do not want to dishearten you.

What I can suggest here is try to do as much certifications as you can. Java certified developers are still difficult (if not rare) to find. Market is full of .NET developers (I am one of them:() so leave C# and/or .NET. Lastly, you will need a good reference to get into a s/w company...or another method (which is actually not good) is to join a consultancy (bodyshops...which are abundant in B'lore)...they will initially take a tough technical test but will be able to put u up in a good organization (and will feed on a %age of your salary). But once you have exp, you can move on... :)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Percentage is like a gateway to enter. Most of the companies filter the candidates by % at first-level and then they have only handful of candidates to interview.

And sorry to say that, 60% is minimum for any company except few. So try to prepare for SCJP and SCWD and with much confident, u can attend the interviews. Rest is upon your performance. If you perform damn good, no one will go through your marks, but i stress the point, if you perform extremely well.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@DeSmOnD dAvId: Dont worry "ALL IZZ WELL".....

I agree dat 60% is minimum criteria.....for a campus placement...
but u can start off with a small company(in case u dnt get ne good Big company)..
then grow in experience & jump in good companies.....

ya u can get certifications from microsoft/sun java etc...to make a healthy resume....
& let me tell u dat...40% of companies perfer percentage...rest 60% prefers....
capability.....

iinfi

mekalodu
hi mate .. i can understand ur situation .... u v toiled for 4 years n that 3% ... oh damn ...
but hold on.. dont lose hope in a hurry ... u mite not get a good company in campus placement. but since ur coding skills n concepts are good u will for sure be able to get into some company .... stick arnd for 6-8 months if u feel the company is giving you good exposure. Learn to speak and write correct english ... learn email etiquettes ... if u create an application, learn to write correct technical documentation for the same. take help of online forums or seniors in doing that....
along with ur coding, if ur gona code in java/.net, over time learn database concepts also. (Oracle/SQL).... if u make a roadmap instead of brooding on the 3% ...u will b in an excellent position 2 years down the line.
believe me ur in a much better position than those who jus got into that 60% bracket .. u v a challenge .. they dont ... so make the most of now!!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I agree with this reply. Even my friend who got really low marks in BE is now in a MNC after 1 year of working in a relatively obscure company.

It all depends upon the market conditions and your knowledge once you are experience enough.

Tachyon1986

In the zone
I understand your frustrations , except I actually got kicked out of a Mahindra-Sathyam aptitude exam because my 10th standard percentage was 59.5% :p (heart-breaking since the aptitude was damn easy and I was certain I could clear the technical rounds) . I asked for some consideration , saying my 12th score 90.6% and that I had 64% in my B.E , but no mercy :(

Anyway, try to work in a small company.. and the important thing here is to learn as much as you can in 1 year. After you've got that year's worth of experience, start looking for other jobs, you'll easily get them..since percentage is no longer an issue.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Thanks all for your advice...I am actually in final year now. Is it possible to prepare for SCJP by myself? Also, is it good to get both Sun and microsoft certificates? English is not a problem for me, its my mother tongue and I used to score good.

One more thing: Should I go for PG to improve my chances?

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
MBA is always a good option. Take a break of one year. Crack the CAT and then there will not be any looking behind. :)

Anyways, even if you start working now, you will have to do MBA later (to step up the hierarchy ladder faster)...so better early than late.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
umm yeah...after MBA you will not be able to do coding. but more of managerial tasks..that's actually gross if you have to do in start of your career. e.g. if you go into sales, you will have to catch clients...listen to their excuses and abuses...if into finance you will have to deal with Access, Excel whole day long, make presentations etc., if you choose mba in technology, they will make you work with server teams etc...

It is not as bad as it sounds in above statement though ;)

There could be some brighter sides also....thing is I can't think even one of them right now...

abhidev

Human Spambot
@Desmond: buddy...if you are that good in coding...trust me ..getting in a big company will get no good except for good sal package....i would rather suggest you to join startup companies if you want to become an all rounder....coz in big companies...there are teams for each and every step of product life cycle....so there is not much scope of learning new things....
whereas in startups....you are the owner of your code and there are lot more opportunities to learn and grow.

I am working in a startup company...and you wont believe...the entire team is full of IITians.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@Desmond: buddy...if you are that good in coding...trust me ..getting in a big company will get no good except for good sal package....i would rather suggest you to join startup companies if you want to become an all rounder....coz in big companies...there are teams for each and every step of product life cycle....so there is not much scope of learning new things....
whereas in startups....you are the owner of your code and there are lot more opportunities to learn and grow.

I am working in a startup company...and you wont believe...the entire team is full of IITians.

But isn't it preferable to start in a big company and then further your career with start up companies if you wish?
'coz I know people working in some small pvt. ltd. companies with low salaries and doing nothing special.

techani

Journeyman
I agree with all the people above except for Goten(coz no meaningful reply!) and the MBA idea. Do the certifications-enter in a mid to small size company-learn unlimited amount of things-if you see the prospect is good then stay despite small pakage or move to a reputed company with exp.
The best idea really is a startup company!!!

So plz dont loose heart and look forward.

Jerin

Journeyman
If you are good in programming, then nobody and nothing can stop you from succeeding in career and jobs.

I am sure that you will reach the deserved position in no time.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
If you are good in programming, then nobody and nothing can stop you from succeeding in career and jobs.

I am sure that you will reach the deserved position in no time.

It is always nice to hear such a thing, but not practical. Most companies' HR do not process CVs if applicant has lower percentages than their criteria (and be informed that I have not seen any company bend their rules for any specific case also). But this applies for freshers only.

There is one saying here in B'lore, "If you throw a stone randomly in air, 99% chances are it will hit a s/w engineer (B.E. passout)". In other words, there is stiff competition here. If you will ever get to see the percentages colleges in southern India award to their students, you jaw will drop and touch your feet! 80% is what I have seen been given to above average students. Toppers score 95% and above. I am from MP and I have not seen RGPV giving such marks to any of their students.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
There is one saying here in B'lore, "If you throw a stone randomly in air, 99% chances are it will hit a s/w engineer (B.E. passout)". In other words, there is stiff competition here. If you will ever get to see the percentages colleges in southern India award to their students, you jaw will drop and touch your feet! 80% is what I have seen been given to above average students. Toppers score 95% and above. I am from MP and I have not seen RGPV giving such marks to any of their students.

Thats not true.

But apart from that percentage is the entry point for any interview. Have you seen any big company asking for below 60%? No one will. So better go with a start-up company, do the certification and work hard, if you think there is some growth in the company. Otherwise leave the company w/o any second thought.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
gagan007 said:
If you will ever get to see the percentages colleges in southern India award to their students, you jaw will drop and touch your feet! 80% is what I have seen been given to above average students. Toppers score 95% and above. I am from MP and I have not seen RGPV giving such marks to any of their students.

furious_gamer said:
Thats not true.

It is 100% true. Some universities/colleges in South India (esp. Tamil Nadu) give exorbitant percentages to their B.E. graduates. I have many relatives studying and even the worst student gets 60% there. The toppers do get 95% and this is true even for some autonomous institutes in south and middle India (I am not going to name any but there are some fairly big names involved where I've seen the bare minimum GPA is 7.0. It is ridiculous and impossible simply because the best students of the state colleges are fairly comparable to mediocre/lower students of these universities, yet the marks are nowhere near comparable).

Whereas in universities like Mumbai and Pune, getting 60% is quite an uphill battle. I have had the previlege of knowing about selection processes in several research labs and everyone agrees that getting 60% in south India is simple as nuts. The problem is that setting the bar any lower will lead to an avalanche of candidates.

However, most scientific organizations (even private ones) will always prefer a North Indian university candidate with 60% over a South Indian university candidate with the same marks. Also, in my experience, the north Indian university candidates generally perform much better on the interviews than the south Indian ones (that's because of the lenient marking in some of the south Indian universities).

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@AcceleratorX

Dont drag me into this issue of South v North. I am from Madurai(South India) and i know how hard it is to get passed in all subjects.

And leave the Autonomous institutions here. They always prefer to show-off their value. So no wonder they gave such high marks to them.

Top Bottom