Low percentage...am I a goner?

AcceleratorX

Youngling
@AcceleratorX

Dont drag me into this issue of South v North. I am from Madurai(South India) and i know how hard it is to get passed in all subjects.

And leave the Autonomous institutions here. They always prefer to show-off their value. So no wonder they gave such high marks to them.

I think my post came across a little wrongly, since I never wanted to incite some South vs. North debate. And yes, it's mostly the autonomous institutes and some lesser known ones that hand out such high marks (also some deemed univs. etc), and it's not limited to TN though I heard (and saw) of it happening more there (obv. because I have more relatives studying there :) ).

But independent of all these universities vs. marks debate, ultimately I felt that scoring marks is a separate skill which seems to be (somewhat) independent from your knowledge and study.....

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
Thats not true.

But apart from that percentage is the entry point for any interview. Have you seen any big company asking for below 60%? No one will. So better go with a start-up company, do the certification and work hard, if you think there is some growth in the company. Otherwise leave the company w/o any second thought.

for ur info too.. many giant companies are asking for min 70% no back logs or GPA of 7.5.. and for a trainee it is 75% minimum..

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
70% above for an experienced candidate? No back logs + 75%+ for a fresher? WTF
Name those "giant" companies please, so that I can :lol: at them

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
70% or 7.5GPA for freshers.. and for a trainee its 75%.. eg are cadence,ST,LG,ericsson,HCL in few colg, HP... n dere r many more too..

AcceleratorX

Youngling

Basically, those companies recruiting from the deemed univs and autonomous colleges who give out pretty good marks anyway (see previous posts). For example:

Freshers Jobs in Tundra Corporation hiring ASIC Design - Freshers - BE/ BTech/ MTech/ MSc/ BSc - Hyderabad/ Secunderabad

I've spoken to a few HR guys in my days and a lot of them really don't work hard enough or don't want to interview many candidates. In certain places with high number of graduates, a lot of them will set the entry requirements high only to keep the number of applicants to a limit (regardless of small company or big company). Basically they feel that once the marks are there, training can be done for the rest (It's not a wrong mentality but honestly I feel the real talent does not always lie in high marks).

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I guess those companies just want cheap professionals in India who do what they are told, and I guess they don't really look for knowledge in the subject or innovation in the candidate (usually who get good marks in university level are "following-the-path-as-told" kind of people and good with people(teachers)), so I guess they select by marks.

70% or 7.5GPA for freshers.. and for a trainee its 75%.. eg are cadence,ST,LG,ericsson,HCL in few colg, HP... n dere r many more too..
You are talking of placements in colleges, aren't you?
In case of out of campus selections, I haven't observed any 70/75%+ and no backs type of qualifications (particularly the no backs criteria), then again, have barely researched on this matter.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
no.. the companies which i have mentioned like ST,cadence,freescale,, they havent gone for placements in collg from last few year..

and they are hiring every month and following the same criteria of %age or GPA,,,

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I think my post came across a little wrongly, since I never wanted to incite some South vs. North debate. And yes, it's mostly the autonomous institutes and some lesser known ones that hand out such high marks (also some deemed univs. etc), and it's not limited to TN though I heard (and saw) of it happening more there (obv. because I have more relatives studying there :) ).

But independent of all these universities vs. marks debate, ultimately I felt that scoring marks is a separate skill which seems to be (somewhat) independent from your knowledge and study.....

Thats global truth, bu getting marks anywhere (other than those deemed and etc univs) its real pain.

lulz.... If thats the criteria to enter into big companies. i wonder any of my friends would have joined there.

no.. the companies which i have mentioned like ST,cadence,freescale,, they havent gone for placements in collg from last few year..

and they are hiring every month and following the same criteria of %age or GPA,,,

As i said earlier, all my friends who got placed in SE, RBI, IBM, Dell were below 70%. So its not true at all the time, may be for your college.

abhidev

Human Spambot
IMO...u should start ur career from startups and then slowly move on to the biggies...coz initially u need to accumulate knowledge and skills which will help u in the long term...whereas limited learning scope in big companies will hinder ur growth later....personally and professionally.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Alright, so, which should I opt for first: SCJP or MCSD?

SCJP and go with MCSD

But study hard and attend SCJP or whatever exams. Once you're so strong with the bascis, you will get a good paying job very easily (Ofcourse after a few years of exp in small company... :D)

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
wow, this has become one heck of an informative thread....
and I too am facing a very similar situation....

@Desmond - since I am a junior to you, pretty much the only advice I can give you is to try to milk some marks out of the last semester, even though it may not increase your overall %/CGPA much, it will help you show a higher core %/CGPA.

RBX

In the zone
Hehe, looks like most of us are in same boat. I'm a good coder with strong foundations in coding and get top notch scores in practicals and internals but the finals have some different checking pattern - write everything about the keyword in question regardless what is being asked. I've been a CBSE student and thus find difficult to write more than one page for an answer. That one page equals many pages of other answers but the amount of content is all that matters to the examining eyes.

All in all, excuse me for putting up my Ram Katha over here :p
I'm interested in internship in Google, should I be learning Python and getting my concepts strong in Data Structures and Algorithms ?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I got placed in Oracle Financial Services Software Ltd. Its a really overwhelming experience. Since, Its the first company I tried, cleared my first apti, cleared my first TI and cleared my first PI and now I am placed.

Is it a good company to start??

iinfi

mekalodu
yes i-flex is a good company .. office is in goregaon rite? if ur in bombay...
stick arnd for atleast a year if you feel ur learning something ... then make a self assessment ...

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
You can safely stay there for a year or two. In the meantime, why don't you look for other better offers? It always feels nice to have more offers in hand :)

You say you are good in programming. Why don't you develop and app and share it in some code sharing sites like SourceForge? You can spice up your CV if you do that.

Trust me, as an interviewer I would rather interview someone who can showcase what he/she has done rather than someone with high percentage who may or may not know how to code.

iinfi

mekalodu
did u get placed thru ur college? or u went to a walk-in in the company directly?
do you have any letter to state that u cleared their interview and were given an offer?
if its ur college get in touch with ur rep in college and tell them u dont have an offer letter yet
if u had been to a walk-in, get in touch with the HR in the company (with whom you had interacted) and let them know you dont have an offer letter yet..
at any point IMO u sud have a written/email (from company email a/c) proof that u v been given an offer

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I received an indent letter from them. But, no info on place of work. Said they will inform later. Got placed through college, btw.

Top Bottom