Lots of HDD activity

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I have been lately facing this problem of overly active hard disk.

I have two HDD is my computer, first is SSD with windows 8.1 installed on it and second is 1 TB for storage. Now thing is that it randomly starts showing lots of activity on second HDD and from resource Monitor I can see its explorer.exe and its just reading on and on, I thought its indexing but I have turned it off already , indexing service is off.

It starts reading random files which I rarely access, tried all possible stuff, scanned for malware , unwanted programs and so on.. but no clue..

Any suggestion where I can investigate further ?

$hadow

Geek in making
This problem is with every system running with 5400rpm. A ssd might help but the hdd will certainly be left bottlenecked.
Looking at you Windows 10

$hadow

Geek in making
So, what did you do ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have SSD for OS files, I did mention in my message.. and I am on 8.1

oops sorry I missed that. In the task manager try to check who is using most resources.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
oops sorry I missed that. In the task manager try to check who is using most resources.
Man, seriously..

You again missed another fact, I have already mentioned in first post that I checked through Resource Manager and from there only I got to know that its explorer.exe reading random files on and on.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
which antivirus do you use? Microsoft Security Essentials? try turning it off and see it the issue persists.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
which antivirus do you use? Microsoft Security Essentials? try turning it off and see it the issue persists.

Its not antivirus as I can see its explorer.exe causing all those read operations, however, to rule it out, I already considered it (I use bitdefender)

nRiTeCh

Broken In
Dump that dumb bitdefender its useless. Try avast. I was in same situation last week and had bitdefender and it detected nothing. Finally tried good old avast and it cleaned all infections.

Top Bottom