Lost my CD-R/W and DVD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeegee

Broken In
My setup is P4 1.6 Ghz, 512 Mb SDRAM, 1 80 Gb and 1 40 Gb HDDs and 1 LG GDR8162B DVD-ROM and 1 Samsung 224B CD-R/RW running Windows XP Professional. A few days ago, I had power failure 2-3 times, which my UPS couldn't handle. The battery needs to be changed. Since then, Windows is detecting my removable drives, in as much as they are showing in the "Device Manager", but with a (!) mark over their icons and in the general properties box there is a message saying "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Also they are not showing up in "My Computer".
I have tried uninstalling these devices and restarting, and what happens is that Windows is detecting these devices but is unable to install them properly. I have a feeling that the drivers could be reinstalled from my Windows CD, but since the drives are not accesible, I don't see how I can do that.
I do have access to another computer with a CD-ROM, and a 256 kb USB drive.
Any help would be much appreciated.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
well try rolling back ur drivers on the property pages.
or if u have internet on that comp try updatin.
else connect the 2 comps and load the drivers onto this comp and then install it manually

OP
A

adeegee

Broken In
I guess I could try either or both of your suggestions, but I have no idea what those those driver files may be called or where they may be on the Windows CD. Can you help?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
well if u can transfer files then try transferrin the whole cd coz even i dont know wich one !
W8 for more advices but.

Also, try reconfiguring the drives by reconnectin them and using the BIOS .
maybe windows will pick em up.

Or try d/l them off the net.

Cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
pfc.sys
pxhelp20.sys
redbook.sys
stopprop.dll

I think these r the files related :

q3_abhi

Youngling
Remove the cables n re-join them n let Windows detect ur CD/DVD ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.