Looking for cheaper Desktop PC.

dabster

In the zone
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: No Games, Office Suite, Browsing. (Old one is a sempron 64 bit. ) AutoCAD sometimes. Games UT 2004 sometimes. (Sporadically but rig should be able to run).

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 12K (will use old LED, KB and mouse)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7/Linux

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: min 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor,KB,Mouse,UPS,

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: next 1 month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Online buying - Flipkart or any reliable store

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: AMD A4 4000/5300 based cheap rig. Prefer AMD or if intel's cheaper solution run cooler.

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Check out the Raspberry Pi, its far cheaper (just 3k) and should be enough for your usage.

ankush28

Bazinga
+100 for raspberry pi..
or else
G2010
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H
Corsair value select 2GB ram
local cabby+PSU
Asus/lighton DVD r/w
WD caviar blue 500GB

Cilus

laborare est orare
For a low powered PC, specially without Graphics card, it is okay. Later, get something good like Antec BP300 @ 2k.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
My Bad guys I have added more to the /purpose/ now. the rig should enough and usable for these tasks.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then you should go with the Intel Pentium G2020 based configuration. For playing UT 2004, I am not sure of the Graphics requirement but I think Intel HD Graphics can run it at lower details.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
Then you should go with the Intel Pentium G2020 based configuration. For playing UT 2004, I am not sure of the Graphics requirement but I think Intel HD Graphics can run it at lower details.
Thanks - Though I am inclined for AMD offerings - are they not really comparable at all - Processor Crunching ? Graphics i am aware they are better in integrated offering i am looking.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually your budget is really low and at a sub 4K price point, there is no offering from AMD which can beat Intel Pentium Dual Core offerings. If you want an AMD APU (CPU + Discrete class GPU fused) then you need to increase your budget by some 5K. Otherwise, Add a sub 4K Graphics card with your config later.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

I used to run UT3 @ High @ 1366x768 on Intel HD2000.. G2020 can easily power UT2004..
+1 to G2020 from my side

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
Actually your budget is really low and at a sub 4K price point, there is no offering from AMD which can beat Intel Pentium Dual Core offerings. If you want an AMD APU (CPU + Discrete class GPU fused) then you need to increase your budget by some 5K. Otherwise, Add a sub 4K Graphics card with your config later.

offtopic answer - i think if money needs to be spent than it has to be high end NUC - Intel® NUC Kit Offers Customizable Options for Small Spaces ;-)
(Are these available in india ?)

Checked back on G2020 - looks good its IvyBridge generation core and motherboard suggested by @ankush28 also looks good (Thanks!) - Any ideas with smaller form factor cases (smaller than full size ones ?)

blackbird

Journeyman
offtopic answer - i think if money needs to be spent than it has to be high end NUC - Intel® NUC Kit Offers Customizable Options for Small Spaces ;-)
(Are these available in india ?)

Checked back on G2020 - looks good its IvyBridge generation core and motherboard suggested by @ankush28 also looks good (Thanks!) - Any ideas with smaller form factor cases (smaller than full size ones ?)

smaller cabinet branded are costlier.. Coolermaster comes around 5k
i purchased circle lil black with smps (in your case local smps will be okay because of low power) in around 2k

Dont know if that thing available but it will cost more.. plus you need to buy other thing like laptop ram and other things for the intel nuc. availability will be an issue.

The below is good for your budget
+100 for raspberry pi..
or else
G2010
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H
Corsair value select 2GB ram
local cabby+PSU
Asus/lighton DVD r/w
WD caviar blue 500GB

And yes cilus is correct under 4k nobody beats intel g2020 down.. And g2020 is enough for most new game too (settings).. check youtube for proof (search - G2020 graphics)
--------------------------
My config
g2020
gigabyte b75m d3h
kingston hyper x 1600mhz
1 tb wd blue
Dell IPS S2240L

Last edited:
OP
D

dabster

In the zone
smaller cabinet branded are costlier.. Coolermaster comes around 5k
i purchased circle lil black with smps (in your case local smps will be okay because of low power) in around 2k

Dont know if that thing available but it will cost more.. plus you need to buy other thing like laptop ram and other things for the intel nuc. availability will be an issue.

The below is good for your budget

And yes cilus is correct under 4k nobody beats intel g2020 down.. And g2020 is enough for most new game too (settings).. check youtube for proof (search - G2020 graphics)
--------------------------
My config
g2020
gigabyte b75m d3h
kingston hyper x 1600mhz
1 tb wd blue
Dell IPS S2240L

Thanks. Yep, I understand guys - :), Intel NUC is way out of budget - but maybe a consideration if I had more budget. Any online stores for Cabinet also ? I am doubtful I will get any good (smaller and cheaper) cabinets in my city. Rest looks good.

Top Bottom