Looking for a good 120 MM Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for this Antec Tricool 120 MM Fan. Can someone tell me a big shop in Nehru Place where I can find it?? Its not available in Computer Empires as well as SMC International B-10 & 11 Meghdoot building.

I know it might be available in Lynx as well as Yantra, however for such a small thing they will add more than 50% price for shipping and delivery so I would prefer nehru places over online purchase. And in nehru palce you can bargain littlebit, which might not be possible from online dealers.

*www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=ANTEC_TRICOOL_120MM_RED&ID=332972

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
For heatsink or as a case fan? Is that a ball bearing or a sleeve bearing fan? You want a fan with sole purpose of "bling" and LED lights? How much does that fan cost? How much are you willing to spend for?
BTW are those rams 4GB pi black cl4 (if so, its 100% powerchip ICs) by any chance?

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
LED lights is not my only purpose, my CPU case has a glass door, so I like to show off the guts with lighting, thats why I like LED lights.

I am looking for a fast and quiet 120MM fan which I can fix on my TRUE. CM fans are OK but, they rotate @ 1200 RPM. This one rotates @ 2000RPM still never makes any noise. I can spend 800-900 for this fan. If its not available in Nehru Place then I will go for CM Fan as the next option.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
scythe slipstream 110cfm sleeve bearing fan is the best fan for 700-800 bucks I could think of. Don't buy those xigmatek fans, they are nothing but ball bearing fans with white LED and orange fins.

Krow

Crowman
Even I am looking for a fan for my TRUE 120 Rev. C. 120mm is what I need of course. My budget is less than 1k. Now I heard about the Silverstone 120mm 110CFM with controller and Scythe Kaze Ultra @ 133CFM. Not sure about performance of either. Which is better ball bearing or sleeve bearing? In terms of longer life that is.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Ball bearing< sleeve bearing < rifle bearing < fluid bearing~/< self stabilising oil -pressure bearing and the most expensive, magnetic bearing. Ball bearing are cheapest out of the lot, sleeve bearings are available for around 600-800 bucks odd, rifle bearing, fluid bearing is rare in India (only scythe s-flex), self stabilising oil pressure bearing fans are pretty much non existent (well- except if you manage to import noctura fans) and magnetic bearings, I don't think there are end users who use them.

Difference between oil bearing and sleeve bearing is simple- lubricated life is better than ball bearings.

You get Scythe S-Flex SFF21F most probably for 800-900 bucks on retail, maybe on prime if they have it, these are fluid bearings. That silverstone fan comes with a 5.25 (or is it 3, dunno) inch bay fan controller, but most probably they are also ball bearing. So either get the scythe slipstream or Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, these are made by sony. Have a word with online shops like primeabgb and mediahome-> this is Delhi based AFAIK.

Krow

Crowman
Ball bearing< sleeve bearing < rifle bearing < fluid bearing~/< self stabilising oil -pressure bearing and the most expensive, magnetic bearing. Ball bearing are cheapest out of the lot, sleeve bearings are available for around 600-800 bucks odd, rifle bearing, fluid bearing is rare in India (only scythe s-flex), self stabilising oil pressure bearing fans are pretty much non existent (well- except if you manage to import noctura fans) and magnetic bearings, I don't think there are end users who use them.

Difference between oil bearing and sleeve bearing is simple- lubricated life is better than ball bearings.

You get Scythe S-Flex SFF21F most probably for 800-900 bucks on retail, maybe on prime if they have it, these are fluid bearings. That silverstone fan comes with a 5.25 (or is it 3, dunno) inch bay fan controller, but most probably they are also ball bearing. So either get the scythe slipstream or Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, these are made by sony. Have a word with online shops like primeabgb and mediahome-> this is Delhi based AFAIK.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post the list. Quite some eye-opener. :)

*www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

This says that SF21F is 63CFM. Does high CFM and RPM make a difference? I am confused because I have this CM 90CFM 120MM LED fan which I got for 450bucks for HDD's. Someone on TE said that the CM fans are bad for heatsinks as they don't create much air pressure. So how do I know that a certain fan is good or bad?

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
I searched for these fans in the entire Nehru Place. No one knows anything about these fans, they best thing that I can find in SMC is CM fans

SUX

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Does high CFM and RPM make a difference?
Well, depends. But cfm is important and RPM is best ignored. Depending on the overall airflow layout of the hardware inside the case, some cases are better with high cfm (especially in a mid tower where there's obstruction in the upper section, around the heatsink). Lower cfm does the job for case fans, higher cfm does good work for getting the heat away from the heatpipes of the heatsink.
This is what one has to keep in their mind:
# More fans does not mean better/quicker airflow: Putting more fans would either lead to negative airflow (either pushing the fresh air out as soon as it comes in or pushing out air where there's not enough fresh air coming in) or no effect at all, therefore power is getting wasted for no reason at all. This funda applies for hsf's push-pull configuration. Only few heatsinks have shown improvement in push-pull configuration. AFAIK, true120e rev C is one, my cooler is another.

# Positive airflow can be achieved with low cfm or high cfm. For a mid tower case, couple of low cfm connected via molex and for aftermarket heatsinks, medium-to-high cfm fans will suffice. Whether the temperature will fall when the heatsink is facing up or the rear of the case depends largely on the overall airflow, so one will end up doing RnD on their system.

I am confused because I have this CM 90CFM 120MM LED fan which I got for 450bucks for HDD's.
The ones who got with the case?

Someone on TE said that the CM fans are bad for heatsinks as they don't create much air pressure. So how do I know that a certain fan is good or bad?
cm fans are bad choice for installing on the aftermarket heatsink, especially when the VCORE is bumped. For case? Yeah they should do well with stock-to-mild oced systems with max mid range graphics card consuming around 170wish on load- till they start making noise. I wouldn't call it the problem of the CM fans necessarily. They are also ball bearing at the end of the day. Antec 900's case fans are good. I have couple of them lying around, alongwith the xigmatek's fan.

How do you know if its good for bad? RnD!! Either that or take a word of a neutral person who is technically sound. This is the reason we need people to be unbiased and give honest opinions or else people genuinely interested either will be obliged by taking advice from a foreign tech forum or being victimized by buying technically inferior product because of n00b's advice.

@ maverick: Check at primeabgb.com or lynx-india.com, one of them should have it.

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Well, depends. But cfm is important and RPM is best ignored. Depending on the overall airflow layout of the hardware inside the case, some cases are better with high cfm (especially in a mid tower where there's obstruction in the upper section, around the heatsink). Lower cfm does the job for case fans, higher cfm does good work for getting the heat away from the heatpipes of the heatsink.
# More fans does not mean better/quicker airflow: Putting more fans would either lead to negative airflow (either pushing the fresh air out as soon as it comes in or pushing out air where there's not enough fresh air coming in) or no effect at all, therefore power is getting wasted for no reason at all. This funda applies for hsf's push-pull configuration. Only few heatsinks have shown improvement in push-pull configuration. AFAIK, true120e rev C is one, my cooler is another.

# Positive airflow can be achieved with low cfm or high cfm. For a mid tower case, couple of low cfm connected via molex and for aftermarket heatsinks, medium-to-high cfm fans will suffice. Whether the temperature will fall when the heatsink is facing up or the rear of the case depends largely on the overall airflow, so one will end up doing RnD on their system.

cm fans are bad choice for installing on the aftermarket heatsink, especially when the VCORE is bumped. For case? Yeah they should do well with stock-to-mild oced systems with max mid range graphics card consuming around 170wish on load- till they start making noise. I wouldn't call it the problem of the CM fans necessarily. They are also ball bearing at the end of the day. Antec 900's case fans are good. I have couple of them lying around, alongwith the xigmatek's fan.

How do you know if its good for bad? RnD!! Either that or take a word of a neutral person who is technically sound. This is the reason we need people to be unbiased and give honest opinions or else people genuinely interested either will be obliged by taking advice from a foreign tech forum or being victimized by buying technically inferior product because of n00b's advice.

@ maverick: Check at primeabgb.com or lynx-india.com, one of them should have it.

Thanks a lot

Krow

Crowman
I have a mid-tower CM Elite 334. The TRUE is VERY close to the VX450W. I have mounted it horizontally. Does vertical mounting hold any specific advantages?
True. I want to push pull my TRUE, but that will happen only later when I have saved enough to buy another fan without going bankrupt. :oops:
I have err... lets just say no cable management in my case, unless you count dumping of useless connectors into the space under the DVD RW. So it is safe to say that case airflow is next to nil. I think I need to mod it to get an air outflow at the top, not sure about this, have no knowledge in this field.
Nah, the stock one is non LED. I dunno the model number, but I got it for 450 bucks.
I am using onboard GPU. Phenom II X4 940BE+GA-MA790GP-UD4H. I think (from whatever you have said so far) fluid bearing is the way to go, especially considering the longer life.
This is where you came in. :) Thanks a lot again.

Okay, so summary :

1. Look for fluid bearing fans
  2. Scythe fans are good, especially the fluid bearing ones made by Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom