Looking for a 5.1 Speaker system for my TV

johnybravojr

Broken In
Hi,

I recently purchased a Toshiba 24" LED TV. The in-built speaker vibrates and sounds horrible at high volumes. Please suggest me a decent 5.1 system(I have a Onida DVD player, so don't want the Home Theater set). The TV plays full HD, has an Optical/digital Audio output, HDMI and is equipped with DIVX & Dolby Digital.

Please suggest me a decent(I am not a hardcore audio lover; just want to experience crisp sound and surround sound) speaker system between Rs.3000-5000. Please also advice me about what audio output I should use(Optical or HDMI).

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Dont know the specific models for 5.1 but i have 2.1 channel Altec Lancing speakers. and i really reccomend any model from Altec Lancing. Its much much better than dumb Artis speakers and also better than Creative and Logitech. Just give a try.

Altec Lansing is good but that doesn't mean Creative and Logitech is bad.Speaker quality depends upon model not brand specific.Also check some reviews before you comment.

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
Thanks for the reply guys, but I'm too noob that I don't even know if the multimedia speakers can be used with a TV/DVD Player... I've looked into Creative and Logitech sites. And even Philips, Sony, etc. Most have a Home Theater with DVD Player(which I don't want) or say Multimedia Speakers like in Creative and Logitech. Please clarify!

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
Logitech Z506 @5K (it was 4.5K a few weeks ago :unsure: )

Pardon my ignorance(read: absolutely dumb with the terms), but is there a difference between a 'Multimedia Speaker' and a 'Home Theater Speaker'? I checked out Creative as well, and this is what I have observed. Logitech Z506 says, "Multiple inputs let you connect your PC, game console, iPod®, DVD player, and more", while Creative Inspire T6100 says, "Experience the most engaging audio in your games and movies with the Creative Inspire T6100. Two-way front speakers feature a tweeter and mid-range driver for hi-fi sound on your desktop PC or home theatre setup".

So, what should I look into when buying a 5.1 speaker setup to make sure the speakers can be hooked up to my TV. And, do I need an Amplifier as well along with the speakers? Finally, I'm curious about the digital/optical audio thingy. Is it superior/inferior to a HDMI Audio connection? I guess, for my budget, I won't be able to get a HDMI-capable 5.1 speaker set. Thanks!

Here is what the Manual says:

Last edited:

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
If you can, get speakers from any of your friends or relatives for a testing & try to hook them in your PC. If it works, then I am sure all 5.1 speakers will also work..

wraj

Random Scribbler !
***Home Theatre Setup : CD/DVD Players + Speaker System (be it 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1) + A/V Receivers in some case

***Multimedia Speakers/Computer Speakers/PC Speakers : These are the speakers which generally comes in 2.1 or 5.1 configuration with amplifier unit built in (housed in sub-woofer) ... They are basically connected with standard 3.5 mm audio jack or RCA cables. If you have 3.5 mm/RCA output from your TV, then you can buy any of the speakers in this category.One can also pair up with CD/DVD players as they have it all the related input/output function. Best way is to get connected it with TV, so that when playing anything out of your CD/DVD, then you dont have to juggle it with the connections.

connection should be something like this, CD/DVD > TV > Speakers

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
Thanks wraj! You've cleared a little bit of the cloud coughing up my brain.. I'll take the Spec. sheet while I go auditioning for a Home Theater... Looking for good offers for the festive season round the corner!

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Frankly speaking, most of the mainstream home theatre that you come to see in the showrooms like Philips, Sony, Samsung etc aren't worth the penny except some models. Its always better to buy CD/DVD player separately and match them with the multimedia speakers of your liking. The speaker that comes with them may look good and may have brand appeal, but cant satisfy till real deal when it comes to sound quality.

Since your budget is around 5K, you can have a decent speaker at this price (just fumble through the different threads that discusses the same).

If connection comes to be the problem, then you always have wires available for it like Stereo (3.5mm) to RCA and vice versa.

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Since you'll be having the sound output from TV itself, so it will be TV's remote that will be controlling the audio piece ... You can keep the speaker's volume calibrated at constant volumes (maybe 70-80%)

Just think of something like TVs speaker being replaced by your 5.1 channel speakers with proper connection ...

PS : I think its market gimmickry which has bugged you down as many as other users.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Darn it... It doesn't come with a 'Remote'. So is Creative T6100. Wouldn't be a problem for a PC, but for TV, I prefer a 'Remote' so I don't have to walk up to the TV to control the volume..

No problem dude change volume through T.V remote.:mrgreen:

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
No problem dude change volume through T.V remote.:mrgreen:
TV Cannot control volume when a device is plugged in "Audio Out", and I guess OP won't take wires from inside the TV....! But maybe in different some other TVs, volume still can be controlled.. :|

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
TV Cannot control volume when a device is plugged in "Audio Out", and I guess OP won't take wires from inside the TV....! But maybe in different some other TVs, volume still can be controlled.. :|

You're right. I can't control volume when the device is plugged in to the TV. I just checked it with a Stereo Speaker. The TV's remote only controls the TV's speaker.

smvgopi75

Right off the assembly line
Logitech Z506 is not worth. As for as Creative the better Model is T6060 than T6100 & T6200. But Bass is not deep and good in Creative Models. At Present Altec Lansing does not offer any 5.1 Speakers. So for 5.1 speakers setup at budget concern there is no best models available now.

Top Bottom