Longer Cable to connect External HDD to PC USB 2.0 or 3.0

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have a WD External 1 TB HDD with USB 3.0 which I primarily use to connect it to my HDTV to watch videos etc. However the cable that came with the HDD is of very short length which is very inconvenient. Is it possible to get a cable which is more longer so that it's easy for me while connecting?

I tried the USB extension cable but the HDD is not getting detected if I use that one.
*s11.postimage.org/l2o5be7ab/usb_3.jpg
anonymous picture upload

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
is your HDD powered over USB or does it require external power? I think its a power issues.. please note that the max length of a USB cable should be 5mtrs. if you can find it buy a USB cable which has two male connectors(one for data+power other for additional power) .

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
is your HDD powered over USB or does it require external power? I think its a power issues.. please note that the max length of a USB cable should be 5mtrs. if you can find it buy a USB cable which has two male connectors(one for data+power other for additional power) .

My HDD doesn't require external power. How would this help. Referring to the text I bolded.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ it give the HDD additional power, IMO using that cable will fix your problem

*www.bixmart.com/assets/images/laptopparts/cabusb-yblack.jpg

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
But bro hope you understand my query. There is no PC Anywhere in the picture. It's the HDD connecting the TV. So not sure how the additional plug will help?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
doesn't the TV have additional USB ports? of not then buy a powered USB Hub, use the above cable with the hub and connect the hub to your TV.

any way I forgot to ask if you tried using a different USB extender cable...

EDIT: the picture I posted was indicative. what I wanted to convey was that most of the time a single USB port will not be able to provide enough power for a External HDD, be it PC, Laptop or TV in your case. pendrives work fine.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
doesn't the TV have additional USB ports? of not then buy a powered USB Hub, use the above cable with the hub and connect the hub to your TV.
Yes the TV has additional USB Ports. I will try it out. What is powered USB Hub?

any way I forgot to ask if you tried using a different USB extender cable...
I didn't try another USB Extender cable.

EDIT: the picture I posted was indicative. what I wanted to convey was that most of the time a single USB port will not be able to provide enough power for a External HDD, be it PC, Laptop or TV in your case. pendrives work fine.
Then how come when I connect using the cable that I got with the HDD it doesn't give me the problem? Any ideas?

My replies in bold.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yes the TV has additional USB Ports. I will try it out. What is powered USB Hub?

powered USB hub will have a external power source/adapter. this provides additional current to the ports

I didn't try another USB Extender cable.
Then how come when I connect using the cable that I got with the HDD it doesn't give me the problem? Any ideas?

Either the cable is faulty/low quality or the Current is too low to be carried over the cable. any way I think I need to correct that the USB cable length might be 25Mtrs and not 5 mtrs as I said before.. I had once build a looong USB cable for one of the project. the device in question was a Barcode Reader..

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
powered USB hub will have a external power source/adapter. this provides additional current to the ports

Either the cable is faulty/low quality or the Current is too low to be carried over the cable. any way I think I need to correct that the USB cable length might be 25Mtrs and not 5 mtrs as I said before.. I had once build a looong USB cable for one of the project. the device in question was a Barcode Reader..

I think the first thing that I need to do is to have is try a newer or other USB Extension cable. Right?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if additional USB port is not there then try USB mobile chargers. Cost about Rs. 50 should be available in local mobile stores. Try carbon mobile chargers they have USB out

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
if additional USB port is not there then try USB mobile chargers. Cost about Rs. 50 should be available in local mobile stores. Try carbon mobile chargers they have USB out

Bro I need this one but for a different purpose that is for my mobile. I tried searching here in local mobile market but couldn't find one.

@Charan do we get the above mentioned USB Cables online by any chance?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ yes.. but check your local stores.. cause its usually bundled with a external HDD.

USB to Mini USB Cable,USB to Mini USB Cable - Y Cable | eBay

this is the one you need to search for - it has a two type A male plugs and one type A female socket
*htc-linux.org/wiki/images/6/64/Usb-y-power-cable.jpg

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Picture 1
*imageshack.us/a/img33/111/79963247.jpg

Picture2
*imageshack.us/a/img546/8287/27481238.jpg

Picture 3
*imageshack.us/a/img203/1549/30385622.jpg

Picture 4
*imageshack.us/a/img22/4995/73721487.jpg

Guys I need one of the ends of the wire to be similar to the one that I posted in Picture4. Can I get this on ebay? The one that Charan posted has different port.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you first need to know the name of the this cable and this is called Micro-B USB 3.0 Cable ;-)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ you first need to know the name of the this cable and this is called Micro-B USB 3.0 Cable ;-)

Thanks bro. Finally I was able to get hold of this. But looks like the price is on higher side around Rs 300. Do you think I will be able to get something for lesser price maybe for USB2.0 with the same B port.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ there's no USB. 2.0 variant is available which looks similar to the usb 3.0 variant - so you better get Micro-B USB 3.0 Cable and this cable is backward compatible with usb 2.0

Top Bottom