Linux on MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhaval

Broken In
Hello all,
First of all wishing you all Happy Independence Day, or rather Happy Independence Week it's 16th Aug already. I just joined today, it would be gr8 interacting with all you techies here.
Well i wanted to know whether Linux can be installed on the new Intel Based Mac's, (if you want to know i was thinking of going for a power mac). I have read about it being already done by someone on the iMac's but has anybody on this forum done it. If yes that would be great help.
Anyways Bye for now.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@Harsh Satissh has Intel based Mac.
@Dhaval I think you can install Linux but it will surely void your warranty. If you want to go ahead look at something like debain. I am myself not too sure of it but I heard this on an IRC channel.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can install Ubuntu Linux in Mac OS. If you have a broadband Net connection ,
download it from here. Under the heading Desktop CD,
choose Mac (PowerPC) desktop CD.
You can also get it for free.Order it from here.
Remember , it takes 4 weeks for shipment. There are no shipping charges, it's
totally free. Just order 1 CD Mac Edition.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
JGuru said:
You can install Ubuntu Linux in Mac OS. If you have a broadband Net connection ,
download it from here. Under the heading Desktop CD,
choose Mac (PowerPC) desktop CD.
You can also get it for free.Order it from here.
Remember , it takes 4 weeks for shipment. There are no shipping charges, it's
totally free. Just order 1 CD Mac Edition.
Hmm that's for PPC, he's having Intel Mac, I don't think that will work.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Oops, I didn't see the Intel Mac thing!! @Tech_your-future, you are right.
It won't work for Intel-based Mac O.S!!

Satissh S

Youngling
heres mctel-linux FAQ, its quite comprehensive..
*www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/FAQ

Linux on intel-macs is still quite experimental because the Firmware is EFI not the old 1982 PC-BIOS code. X runs but, without 2d or 3d acceleration, so you have to wait.

Heres the dual - booting HOW-TO on their page,
*www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/HOWTO

I myself am looking to try Gentoo, will have to try, so i really can't help. This seems to be a perfect excuse for killing some time :p

[Edit]
Heres a Debian HOW-TO, Follow that.
*wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel

Iam going to try compiling gentoo in that, we cant chroot from the mac kernel, probably ill try booting using the LFY live-cd.

Also can someone clarify me, if it will void my warranty?

Last edited:
OP
Dhaval

Dhaval

Broken In
Thanks for all the replies. I don't currently have a Mac, but thinking of going for one.
Satissh S as you own a intel based Mac, can you plz tell whether it can be used as a primary PC. I mean can we do almost all things that we do on a regular linux/windows PC. Whether there are any driver problems (ya linux also has them, but can be managed) for graphics card, bluetooth etc.

Monster_AMD

Broken In
I have been using my ibook for last one n half year and I can do anything (and even more) than on pc. Believ me its a great platform and u will be on a safer side coz u can install XP as well as vista alongside os x on intel macs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom