linux newbie......need help in installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I downloaded Linux Mint 3.1 & burned it to CD assuming it will give a Live CD but it did not, so I have following questions.

Is there a way out that I can make Live CD from this ISO file?

If I have to install it then do I 1st make a new partition on my C (XP installed) or while installing Linux will ask me to make a partition?

I assume it has a graphical installer, else how difficult is it for a person to install linux with text commands who has never seen/used linux?

Any other points I need to take care of before installing.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
See if these links help.

*www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fedora-livecd/

*www.linuxpackages.net/gen_pdf.php?file=livecd.html

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No you can't make a Live CD out of a non-Live one.

Do this:
Empty the LAST partition of your HDD via Windows (Moving its data to other partitions)

Now boot from the disc and choose the last partition (hdx/sdx where x is some number apart from 1) from the GUI Partition Editor

(Go for manual parition editing, and not other options)

Leave 300-600 MB for SWAP (File System type = Swap) and make the rest of the space as / (also called ROOT) mount point. (The /'s File System should be EXT3)

Now proceed with the Installation by hitting the NEXT/OK whatever button.

Trust me, Linux GUI is WAY better than Windows' and it sure as hell has a graphical installer! It's had a graphical installation since 3 years now I guess and this won't change too ;)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
phreak0utt said:
See if these links help.

*www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fedora-livecd/

*www.linuxpackages.net/gen_pdf.php?file=livecd.html
Thanks for these links but reading that , I understand that I need to be smarter to get the hang of what is written there.....................I am too new to linux.

Empty the LAST partition of your HDD via Windows (Moving its data to other partitions)

Now boot from the disc and choose the last partition (hdx/sdx where x is some number apart from 1) from the GUI Partition Editor

(Go for manual parition editing, and not other options)

MY Cdrive is 80GB which I want to use for 40gb-XP & 40gb- linux, so it means that Linux manual partition editing will allow me to to do so, all I need to do is remove the data from present D drive.(I want D partation as it is except that the drive letter will chnage after I make partition on C)

praka123

left this forum longback
a 10 GB / partn is more than enough for casual users.make a swap partn of 500 MB.and go with the install.use a partition resizing tool like gparted livecd

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Guys I am getting confused, since I am new to all this.

Do I need to make 2 partition for linux
1 for actual Linux installation & another swap partition of 500mb?

praka123

left this forum longback
^yes.for sure. "/" <=== this symbol shows the installation partition or root partition.allocate the GB's.then make a partition type of "swap" of 500MB or Lesser.it is needed.also remember to choose manual partitioning while installing!
*www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
^^see the link reg doubts.but dont care for defragmenting thingy.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
@ranjan2001 :

My suggestion install ubuntu coz there is lot of Documentation available for it

and it has very strong community which is very helpfull for newbie like me :D

This link provides a step by step installion for Ubuntu :

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61019&highlight=install+ubuntu+with+OR+without+cd

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
How many partitions do you have currently? If only one you may need to reformat and reinstall XP while splitting them into two.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
QwertyManiac said:
How many partitions do you have currently? If only one you may need to reformat and reinstall XP while splitting them into two.
Why do I have to reinstall XP??
I can always change the size of partition under XP using 3rd party softwares. As of now my 1st hdd is having C:/ & D:/ I want to keep D as it is & chnage the size of C & make another partition out of it for installing linux.

Else I am thinking I will buy 1 new hdd & partition it as per my choice for instaling both linux mint & Ubuntu, I also want to install 64bit vista for testing.

praka123

left this forum longback
u can resize any partitions and make linux install partition symbolized as "/"
a slash of size >7GB.make another small partition of type swap of 300MB or 500MB depending on ur available RAM.if u got 1 gig of ram a 300MB swap suffice.
the installer will show u these partitions as free space and select "manual partn" in installer.yes,u shud make space for the Linux installation first.
afaik there is no need to reinstall xp.grub bootloader will show windows xp entry too in boot menu.it works.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@ranjan2001 - Or that, apologies. :) Ok make some free space, boot the Disc and make the two required partitions in the GUI available and you'll be done installing Linux as dual boot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom