Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” released!

Rahim

Married!
Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” released!

Written by Clem on Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 @ 12:57 pm | Main Topics
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 “Isadora”.

*www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/isadora/thumb_isadora.png
Linux Mint 9 “Isadora”
New features at a glance:

• New Software Manager
    • 30,000 packages
    • Review applications straight from the Software Manager
    • APT daemon
    • Visual improvements
  • New Backup Tool
    • Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks
    • Backup/Restoration of the software selection
  • Menu improvements
    • Editable items
    • Transparent menu
    • Always start with favorites
    • “Add to” shortcuts
  • Desktop settings
    • Changes apply immediately
    • Additional options
  • Better look & feel
    • Backgrounds
    • Welcome screen
    • Update Manager
  • System improvements
    • Windows installer
    • Husse quotes
    • USB Creator
    • Default software selection
    • Local repository and Gnome-PPP
    • Apt hold/unhold/held commands
  • Project changes
    • Community Website
    • CD & DVD
    • Community Editions
    • OEM installation disks
    • USA/Japan distributors disks
    • 32 & 64-bit
  • Upstream improvements
    • Faster boot
    • Long Term Support
For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 9“.
Known problems:

• Moonlight
  • Upstream issues

To get more information about these problems and their solution, read the “Known problems” section of the release notes.
Important information:

• Java and OpenOffice.org-base
  • OEM disks
  • Distributors disks for the USA and Japan
  • Tomboy Notes
  • Local repository and Gnome-PPP
To get more information, read the “Important information” section of the release notes.

System requirements:

• x86 processor (for both 32 & 64-bit versions)
  • x86_64 compatible processor (for the 64-bit version)
  • 512 MB of system memory (RAM)
  • 3 GB of disk space for installation
  • Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
  • CD-ROM drive or USB port
Upgrade instructions:

• To upgrade from a previous version of Linux Mint follow these instructions.
  • To upgrade from Linux Mint 9 RC, simply apply any level 1 and 2 updates (if any) available in the Update Manager.
Download:
Linux Mint 9 is available for download in 32 and 64-bit via torrent and HTTP as:

• A live CD
  • A live DVD (containing the same software as the live CD plus Sun Java 6, VLC, OpenOffice.org-base, F-Spot, Samba, additional wallpapers and ttf-dejavu)
  • OEM installation disks (for manufacturers, to pre-install Linux Mint 9 on computers without setting up a user account)
  • US/Japan distribution disks (for magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses)
To Download Linux Mint 9 visit the download page.
Enjoy!
We look forward to receiving your feedback. Thank you for using Linux Mint and have a lot of fun with this new release!

linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso torrent
linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso torrent

Last edited:
i had kernel freeze prob with both karmic and mint 8. i guess i dont have it again but chances are low. fixing it again and again in every distro :| boring task to do. i dunno whats wrong with my hardware !

Krow

Crowman
Time to switch girlfriends. Isadora, my love, will you marry me? :D

These guys released two versions, the CD one is 674MB, while the DVD one is 757MB (with additional softwares). I guess it is the CD version I will "get":
a_rahim said:
We all love the repo.
:D

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Time to switch girlfriends. Isadora, my love, will you marry me? :D

These guys released two versions, the CD one is 674MB, while the DVD one is 757MB (with additional softwares). I guess it is the CD version I will "get":
:D
Get the DVD version and put it in a USB disk?

Krow

Crowman
Get the DVD version and put it in a USB disk?

I don't know how to boot from a USB Disk. Tried all boot options after pressing F12, but no luck. Already downloaded the CD version and installed through mint4win. Will use when some other work on Win gets over.

RavS

Kiddie Coder
Installed, Mint 9 yesterday (through mint4win) and in one day only I feel like its way better than Ubuntu itself (have been an Ubuntu user for half year).

Does anybody feel like Ubuntu has any advantage over Mint. If so, can I know how?

Krow

Crowman
Installed, Mint 9 yesterday (through mint4win) and in one day only I feel like its way better than Ubuntu itself (have been an Ubuntu user for half year).

Does anybody feel like Ubuntu has any advantage over Mint. If so, can I know how?

Mint is way better if you want an out-of-the-box package that works well. It is a pre-tweaked version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is great for newbies too, but you have to take some time to configure it the way you want it to work. Mint takes away some of this freedom of customisation.

Personally, I love Mint for it's out of the box functionality. Plays my audio/video files well, comes with all the apps I need, no need for Internet just to play an mp3 or avi file. I am not an advanced user at all, so Mint is great for me. Extremely newbie-friendly. :smile:

The same effort to make Ubuntu work out-of-the box lead to Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. It i a highly tailored form of Ubuntu with loads of plugins including MS core fonts, big list of wallpapers and themes,programs and games preinstalled. The Gamers edition comes with a big list of latest and most famous linux games. However mint is good but i like ubuntu more.

RavS

Kiddie Coder
Mint is way better if you want an out-of-the-box package that works well. It is a pre-tweaked version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is great for newbies too, but you have to take some time to configure it the way you want it to work. Mint takes away some of this freedom of customisation.

Personally, I love Mint for it's out of the box functionality. Plays my audio/video files well, comes with all the apps I need, no need for Internet just to play an mp3 or avi file. I am not an advanced user at all, so Mint is great for me. Extremely newbie-friendly. :smile:

Well, while I don't agree that Mint takes some of the freedom of customization, I certainly believe it's more newbee friendly than Ubuntu.

I mean if u want to get someone port from Windows to Linux, I would certainly recommend Mint more than Ubuntu. Which new bee cares the crap about the terminal and all it's glory. All he/she wants is to be able to watch his movies, play some music, and access the internet, right after the distro is installed. And Mint fits the bill better in that case.

The same effort to make Ubuntu work out-of-the box lead to Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. It i a highly tailored form of Ubuntu with loads of plugins including MS core fonts, big list of wallpapers and themes,programs and games preinstalled. The Gamers edition comes with a big list of latest and most famous linux games. However mint is good but i like ubuntu more.

hmm.. Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.. Heard about it for the first time. No offence, but do u really think all the plugins and wallpapers and themes that come installed are great. I mean most of the time we end up, downloading our own favorites. Previously I used to like the DVD editions of distros because it came of loads of softwares, but then i realized, that all these extra softwares are only making the OS bloated, I never used 90% of those softs. So whats the point in having them.

I mean, they may be great for power users or geeks. but not for all in general.

Well you can check the list of softwares and games that come with Ultimate edition available here and here. Its not the full list but will give you the glimpse of what the distro has in it for you. No offence dude, but i dont think that Distros are targeted to 1 user only. You will hardly find one that will suits you 100%. Better to make 1 yourself using scratch or using Remastersys or Reconstructor for Ubuntu or Susestudio to make a tailored openSUSE that suites your needs and has all programs acc to you.

Last edited:

RavS

Kiddie Coder
^^ yeah u r right. Actually I have been thinking of making a custom built distro. But before that I am searching all the required softwares, that suit me the most.

And that leads me to ask:
1. Has anyone made his own distro yet?
2. How much time did you take?

Last edited:
Top Bottom