Linux makes inroads into Microsoft's domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Offtopic: regarding "tinker and tweak the system" . I had copied a few official photos to my system from a CD and made a shared folder and gave link to my collegues, even my boss wanted to see the pics.

Result: The admin reported to my TL saying that I misused my local admin previlages to enable the USB port and copy those photos :mad:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
U need to start working first cutie pie before saying that u don't know of any company like that!! I hope ur exams r over! ;)

All the companies I have work in or worked for in deployment, did not allow the employees to change Windows OS settings. This was prohibited.

It also means to change the desktop, exploring the themes, the commands, man pages, the content of system's shell scripts, making shell scripts etc....I hope u know about the learning curve associated with Linux

You are talking about systems running Linux here, I m talking about systems running Windows here. Obviously changing the wallpaper or theme etc is allowed, thats a simple thing on a network based user.,

Besides windows hardly has any learning curve associated with it...you can't even see the source code of any application and learn from it!!

You go to office to work, not to learn an OS or man pages.

mediator

Technomancer
All the companies I have work in or worked for in deployment, did not allow the employees to change Windows OS settings. This was prohibited.
I understand. Thats why I shifted to Linux becoz even a little fiddling with that genuine/original bloated OS gave me BSODs! May be u have to use too much "common sense", have a vison of future and think of all the possible seen and unforeseen events before fidlling with it!!

Companies very well understand the gravity of the situation when its windows u know!!

You are talking about systems running Linux here, I m talking about systems running Windows here. Obviously changing the wallpaper or theme etc is allowed, thats a simple thing on a network based user.,
Obviously!! U do not need to tell what side u were talking of and what I was when the debate started warming up!! The difference of $$$$, stripped down OS, and 'explore what u have, what all OS offers'.....remember what we were talking? U can still read the previous replies if u forgot what we were discussing!

You go to office to work, not to learn an OS or man pages.
You said that before too, no need to repeat! People do listen to music, surf orkut and flirt too in offices after all!!

Well this little chat is getting boring coz u have started repeating so early. WTH!! :oops:

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Some examples :

1 . LIC migrated to Linux . Savings = 2 million !

2. Asian Paints India Limited moved to Linux

3. UTI moved / moving completely to Linux

4. All high schools in Kerala migrating to Linux

5. IDBI, Kotak and finally Central Bank of India - move started

6. Schools are into Linux - Tamilnadu

It may be slow, but the migration is there in India. And for India Linux / Open source is the BEST option as it saves a lot of $$$$.

I didn't put link to all the points above, but if you google, it will show full details of all the points.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I understand. Thats why I shifted to Linux becoz even a little fiddling with that genuine/original bloated OS gave me BSODs!

Not quite, if you tinker properly it won't hurt. However, the last thing a system Admin wants in an office is a non-working computer & downtime. Employee goes to office to work on the computer, not to fiddle with it. He is not supposed to learn the basics of computing to work on it. Stop treating computers like geek device, & start treating them like consumer devices.

The difference of $$$$, stripped down OS, and 'explore what u have, what all OS offers'

A stripped down OS doesn't necessarily means a limited OS. You know about Windows XP embedded or for Legecy PCs? You can install any Win32 application on it.

din said:
And for India Linux / Open source is the BEST option as it saves a lot of $$$$.

Actually No, Suppose UTI migrates to Linux but the software for banking which they use is based on Windows, then?

This is where cross platform applications (JAVA) or Web based application (Finnacle in SPI Bank) come into play. However most of these companies are using older version of Windows like Windows 98 or 2000 which works fine for them. They bought it "then" for a price & still using it, the initial cost is recovered by now.....so continue using it. If all they need to run is one particular application then why not stick to the system they have? My dad was working on a Pentium Pro 200 MHz CPU with Windows 98 & 64 MB RAM computer in his office, which is over 10 years old before they bought new HP computers with Windows XP, cos it was working fine for them. With HP, they got XP for quite a lot of discount.

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
No, I was mentioning the 'migration' and new systems, not about they using the present system / OLD PC.

For examples, computer came to schools in Kerala recently only (not in central schools, but the state schools), so going for legal win in every PC will cost them a lot and the syllabus is best suited for LIN too, so the best option is LIN, it saves a lot of $$$

For banks, if they are using win 95 and any old banking s/w for the last 10 or 15 yrs, and decide to continue with that, nothing wrong in that as they are not spending additional $$$. But truth is, they are opening new branches, they are buying additional PCs, they are making / upgrading / buying new softwares for banking, so they will have to think of buying OS as well. Again $$$ matters.

And yes, if the banking software works on Win only, then there is no option than usin Win.

My point is there are a lot of places where Lin can very easily replace Win, saving lot of $$$

I go for this logic :)

100 XP = 3500 x 100

100 Lin = 50 x 100, may be less as a single CD/ DVD can be used to install in more than one PC.

So why spending a lot when

a. It is not needed

b. Alternative is there with a much much low cost

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
the syllabus is best suited for LIN too, so the best option is LIN

This is a specific requirment.

But truth is, they are opening new branches, they are buying additional PCs, they are making / upgrading / buying new softwares for banking, so they will have to think of buying OS as well. Again $$$ matters.

Keep in mind that free Linux distro provide no phone support or technician when required, if you want them you have to pay or get a paid linux distro like Red Hat. If you are paying anyway, then why go Linux when Windows is so commonly used & required hardly any training?

And yes, if the banking software works on Win only, then there is no option than usin Win.

There is Wine, but it might or might not always work. It makes sense to tell the 3rd party companies to use .net to make the software as later on it can be used on Linux using Mono

My point is there are a lot of places where Lin can very easily replace Win, saving lot of $$$

This depends on where you are using the software

b. Alternative is there with a much much low cost

I know computer, you know computer, what about everyone else? Don't forget to add training cost & support cost if you are migrating to Linux. Fixing Windows is very easy, at least it has safe mode. What bout Linux? in case of problem, it gives the command line interface, how is someone supposed to fix it without any technician.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Hmm

I think it is getting diverted again. Well ..

My main point is still valid

1. Yes, there are lot of places. I didn't say we should change all PCs in India to Lin. But there are places. And of course we can save $$$

Regarding support / training

2 type of users

1. Basic user - Shop owners etc. When their PC is not working, they will never try to repair it their own. They will call the repair guy, in the case of Lin, they can call a Lin expert. Yes, all PC experts are not very good in Lin, that is a fact though

2. Big comapnies - Big companies migrating to Lin wil lhave their own staff experts in that, still they save a lot. How did LIC saved millions using Linux ? I think they use paid Linux, still saved a lot. That is a point.

Fixing win is easy - Hmm, not always - for the basic users. As you mentioned, we may know it, but basic user will think its too complicated and - Booting in safe mode - will not solve all the problems.

mediator

Technomancer
Not quite, if you tinker properly it won't hurt. However, the last thing a system Admin wants in an office is a non-working computer & downtime. Employee goes to office to work on the computer, not to fiddle with it. He is not supposed to learn the basics of computing to work on it. Stop treating computers like geek device, & start treating them like consumer devices.
Who is asking to 'learn the basics'? Don't u understand the difference between 'paying for what is needed' and 'exploring what all u have'? In the meantime u can also turn ON beryl and check out the beryl features. Its not gonna delete ur user profile u know! You can explore and learn more what all u have! Its NOT called 'learning the basics'!!

On windows, the aero and the huge amt of $$$$. WTH!!

A stripped down OS doesn't necessarily means a limited OS. You know about Windows XP embedded or for Legecy PCs? You can install any Win32 application on it.
What about MS-products like MS-office...more $$$$? Neways u can read u know before talking of legacy PCs!

source said:
Key features

* Consumes by default less RAM than full Windows XP Professional
* Supports most XP applications
* Supports basic networking features
* Supports most XP drivers
* Updates older machines to modern security specifications
* Supports DirectX (Installed with Media Support / DirectX upon OS installation)
* Supports extended peripherals such as mouse, keyboard

Issues and limitations

* Dial-up networking and terminal based connections are not supported
* May have compatibility issues with some programs
* May have problems with old drivers
* Installation requires full disk format
* Does not include the Joystick calibration control panel (JOY.CPL)
* Does not include the NULL.SYS software device (used by Cygwin to implement /dev/null)[4]
* Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is not recommended to non-English users, since they must install the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) pack, which can cause some errors while operating.
U talk about stripped down OS not necessarily meaning a limited OS and then talk about legacy PCs? Neways u shud now read what embedded systems are!

So instead of wasting time on orkut, flirting with ahem and playing stupid solitaire one can instead increase his knowledge, do somethin constructive u know and increase his computing efficiency! When its MS-windows its more of $$$$, but no real learning curve!!

I know computer, you know computer, what about everyone else? Don't forget to add training cost & support cost if you are migrating to Linux. Fixing Windows is very easy, at least it has safe mode. What bout Linux? in case of problem, it gives the command line interface, how is someone supposed to fix it without any technician.
Did u forget what system admins are for? Please dont form the notion that they r there in the company to serve tea!! And please dont start the Win VS Lin fight, we all know which OS is out there in majority forming servers. Did u really think they can't be repaired? U shud really do some reading as far as Linux is concerned.....may be during ur working hours, instead of orkutting, i.e learning! So u see learning is neva a waste!!

If u wanna know how to fix it, then do open up the Open source section daily from now on. As far as windows is concerned, do I have to remind that most people, i.e end-users, don't even know how to install it? Well if u forgot those little chit-chats then do go to the IT colleges and ask how many computer students themselves have ever installed windows or know of installing it. Forget about repairing it then and forget about end-users if many CS students themselves dont know how to install windows. So u see in both the cases we need an admin called a system admin!!

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
One more 'small step'

Allahabad high court uses and recommends Open sourced softwares and standards

Some details at

*kvtrust.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-chapter-in-judiciary-and.html

vish786

"The Gentleman"
An big Oil Factory in Gujarat uses Red Hat.... and it saved a lot of money for them. This was put in newspaper way back. ;)

mediator said:
Well this little chat is getting boring coz u have started repeating so early. WTH!! :oops:

:)) i like ur comments they r always so funny dude. :D

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
and now, this thread is reminding me the thread Developers cooling on Windows desktop, study finds :D

Isn't it gx_surav & mediator ???

mediator

Technomancer
We r all friends behind the curtains!! *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/cheers1.gif

Last edited:
OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Some more

IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering Services and Tourism) - Runs on Linux now.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I like chicken, not penguin :D

LOL, that was really funny :D

But to give you chicken they use penguin, is that ok for you ? ;)

just kidding .. but their website is very popular and useful. I used it a lot of time to book train tickets online.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
din said:
but their website is very popular and useful. I used it a lot of time to book train tickets online.

There website needs a serious redesign.

i think linux ppl have started operation code name "KILL BILL" ....... heeee

Nah...Microsoft still makes a lot of money by desktop & business uses. When it comes to Business software, MS software backend is the most robust & solid so far.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
gx_saurav said:
There website needs a serious redesign.

I think you meant the home page ? Yes, that sux, but the functionalities are simply the best - Login to see it - If you didn't use it before.

Within a short span of its going online, this site, www.irctc.co.in has become the largest and the fastest growing eCommerce website in Asia Pacific and the most transacted site in this part of the world.

Source

The site is loading very fast even on dial up. The interface is pretty neat and simple. Most user friendly site of its kind I have ever seen. Nothing complicated. I mean afetr you login to site, not the home page.

I used the site atleast 35 / 40 times to book tickets online and I never had a single problem. everything works pretty fast and simple. I still use it when I do not have time to go to RLY station. Once the payment gateway didn't work properly (that was the bank problem - Federal Bank) and the money came back to my account the very next day.

This is not for supporting Linux :), but to tell the site is great and it is from my experiece.

gx_saurav said:
When it comes to Business software, MS software backend is the most robust & solid so far.
Hmm, prefer to differ. All the companies are moving not just because of saving $$$, but also the reliability and robustness (No, I am not talking about desktop at all, just the software / backend part). Opensource softwares / databases are as reliable as any other, provided the softwares are developed by experts :)

I know one of my friends running a medical transcription unit, nearly 300 people working there and everything, all softwares used there - run on Linux - and open source. They started it 3 yr back and still didn't face any serious issues.

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
din said:
All the companies are moving not just because of saving $$$, but also the reliability and robustness (No, I am not talking about desktop at all, just the software / backend part). Opensource softwares / databases are as reliable as any other, provided the softwares are developed by experts :)
Agreed. The company I work for is dropping Windows 2003/SQL Server 2005 as our database backend for Linux/PostgreSQL. Why? Our reports databases have been running on PostgreSQL for a couple years now without major incident and with performance rivalling Oracle/SQL Server/whatever other DB you want. Our "production" boxes (running SQL Server) haven't had nearly the uptime, though I must admit the performance is more than I'd expect for the hardware...

Toss in choice of filesystem (no no, honestly, I'm content with just NTFS! heh) and licensing, and most companies stick to M$ simply because they have someone to point a finger at should something go wrong...Considering most open source projects basically state that they can't be held accountable for anything that blah...blah...blah, it's understandable why many companies don't bother...but it isn't because M$ provides a more reliable backend =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom