LINUX - How and What to learn ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
i am an SE student doing B-tech in IT

i wanted to learn linux as i wanted to pursue projects in it

1. which version shd i use ? Redhat or Fedora , Mandrake , Suse ....

2. Shd i install it directly and start using and try to figure stuff out or shd i learn abt it beforehand ??

3. for learning before hand, shd i buy some book or web tutorials ?? (Pls suggest)

thanks ..

sknowonweb

Journeyman
hai
Web tutorials are enough to understand the basics of linux.
search for some linux newbies nearby to clarify some popup doubts ( certainly with a little xperience he can answer basic doubts)
U can use fedora or suse as a good start. suse 10 oss is more interactive than a typical linux box of fedora.But to understand redhat use fedora.
Linux installation needs some basic understanding over linux file systems and a lot of reference stuff is over the internet.
Post ur linux oriented questions directly to open source section of digit forum, more detailed doubts on linux will e answered in linuxquestions.org forums.
if u r that much new then use some Live cds to know how linux feels and touch

susk21

Broken In
thanks for the reply man
i also want to Learn it.
But the course conducted by Red Hat (RHCT-RHCE) is helpful or not?
its DAMN costly 13000/-

gycapri

Broken In
hi cyco im also a student of b.tech 2nd yr 4th sem ,i also want to learn lynux.but have same ques. like u have.

i want to know wat does live cd do ,i recently received ubuntu 5.10 free installation cd & live cd.

Satissh S

Youngling
@gycapri:- You've got the right cd. Go ahead and install it. Just make sure that your "other" OS Doesn't get formatted. In most cases you will be ok. Post any q's here and we'll try to answer them to the best of our abilities.
You may even use the live cd to get familiar with linux. But i'll suggest you to install it.
Or if you wan't to be safe just back-up you data and remove windows temporarily so that you can get a feel for linux. Anyways you r'e gonna do that every month or two when using windows!! ;)

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
i kno u can use partition magic to make a seperate drive for linux ....

wht exactly is a live cd can u pls explain ...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
live cd is a cd that u pop into ur cd drive and boot up your computer. The OS runs straight from ur cdrom instead of ur hard disk. U need not install anything on ur hard disk.

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Regarding RHCE

Hai Pal,
i like to inform u that RHCE is a useful course. I m undergoing it right now in CHENNAI. For any case of learning it is very important abt the INTEREST of the LEARNER. so if u r that much interested to learn linux , then join RHCE.
one more thing , u can get get more concessions if u threaten the RHCE enquiry chaps that u r going to look for some "better" institution instead of them if they dont agree to ur margin.(this works for me and my friend here in chennai)).Those chaps agreed to reduce the fees to 10000.
u have to pay 10000 extra for the exam(to the Red hat company).

@susk21 : i pm'd the same to ya but my browser crashes and im not able to to confirm the msg was sent : so ipost it here : ((' kept the above message a secret and dont show to Red Hat guys'))

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
Re: Regarding RHCE

sknowonweb said:
Hai Pal,
i like to inform u that RHCE is a useful course. I m undergoing it right now in CHENNAI. For any case of learning it is very important abt the INTEREST of the LEARNER. so if u r that much interested to learn linux , then join RHCE.
one more thing , u can get get more concessions if u threaten the RHCE enquiry chaps that u r going to look for some "better" institution instead of them if they dont agree to ur margin.(this works for me and my friend here in chennai)).Those chaps agreed to reduce the fees to 10000.
u have to pay 10000 extra for the exam(to the Red hat company).

@susk21 : i pm'd the same to ya but my browser crashes and im not able to to confirm the msg was sent : so ipost it here : ((' kept the above message a secret and dont show to Red Hat guys'))

what exactly is RHCE !!

Satissh S

Youngling
RHCE : Redhat Certified Engineer
RHCT : Redhat Certified Technician
Certification cources for showing our prowess in linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
I have attended the RHCE COurse in Ernakulam/Kochi on one of the centres last September.the coaching they are giving is not so gr8.they are not gonna cover all those things U need to Know.Also U should visit RH's site for latest SYllabus and their knowledge base etc are quite useful.AND am not yet confident to face the Exam! :) eventhough i already tried all those making/breaking GRUB ,setting servers etc..I should before March!

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
can ne1 post a link which they find as the best tutorial online ?? coz there r soooo many sites

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
www.tldp.org This site has many free ebooks for learning Linux its the best place to start.Its contains docs from the basics to building your own linux system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom