Linux Distro for Computer without Internet Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
My friend wants a distro which will be able to play most of the proprietary media formats out of the box. The reason is he doesn't has internet connectivity at his place. Do note that the distro should be able to play not just simple files like mp3, avi etc but also more complex one's like .mkv, .mp4 etc. I suggested him Linux Mint & Sabayon Linux but I doubt about their ability to play .mkv & .mp4 formats. Which distro you suggest for a computer with no internet connectivity?

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^+1 or Mint is the best option, but will be having trouble in installing other softwares rather than codecs without internet.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
My friend selected Sabayon Linux. Let's see how it goes. I'll be installing it on his machine tomorrow.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Personally I think he would have done well with Mint but thats just my opinion. In no way is Sabayon is subpar to Mint at the end of the day if you ask me. Especially if you just need to for day to day usage.

Out of curiosity, will this person never be accessing the net? Cause if he can access the net every once in a while he could use various utilities to just get various packages.

For Ubuntu refer AptonCD
I think for Fedora its called Opyum.
There might be more but these are that come to me at the moment.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Filledvoid - My friend might use his phone as modem under Linux to connect to the internet. I too recommended him Linux Mint over Sabayon but using Sabayon was his own choice after seeing screenshots of both the distros.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Well now I think its time for trial & error : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121474

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom