Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is it running? Are there any lags?
Because I am running ubuntu and Kali Linux 1.1 in virtual box and it lags sometimes.

Sent from my RMX2185 using Tapatalk

little bit of lag while opening and closing browser or a new tab but nothing unmanageable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm. That means that somehow root owns your chrome.

How did you install chrome? Can you give the output of `which chrome`?

which chrome shows nothing I mean when I put this into console and hit enter it comes back to the typing prompt.

which firefox shows /usr/bin/firefox.

Every time start chrome the specific message I get is " The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer "

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Then how do you run Chrome? I think you simply downloaded the chrome executable rather than installing it via apt.

I'd suggest deleting Chrome wherever you downloaded it and install it using apt:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install chrome

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then how do you run Chrome? I think you simply downloaded the chrome executable rather than installing it via apt.

I'd suggest deleting Chrome wherever you downloaded it and install it using apt:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install chrome

yes, I did download chrome and install it. Will install it via apt get. Thanks for pointing this out.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
yes, I did download chrome and install it. Will install it via apt get

Did you install the *.Deb file or got the tarball archive and using it?? This is something that happens when using appimage or using tarball without building.

You can install Deb file through gdebi, that's integrated in mint.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The problem with installing deb files directly is that apt will not manage those packages. So, it will be hard to uninstall them if there is any issue.

That is why only install deb if there is absolutely no other option. Otherwise, look for PPAs that provide the necessary packages.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I wonder there is a chrome for linux too Last time i checked it wasnt there.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Hmm. That means that somehow root owns your chrome.

How did you install chrome? Can you give the output of `which chrome`?

It probably has something to do with snaps. AFAIK, chrome(ium) is no longer packaged as deb, but only as snaps.

Somehow missed the rest of the conversation. Nvm my comment.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I wonder there is a chrome for linux too Last time i checked it wasnt there.

There are pre-built binaries for both Chrome (Google owned) and chromium (open source)

Chrome: How to install Google Chrome
Chromium: How to Install Chromium Browser in Ubuntu Linux - It's FOSS

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update : ( sorry for late reply )

1. Installed google chrome using software manager .. same authentication prompt.

Tried installing Chromium via sudo apt-get here's the output :

mint@mint-Box:~$ sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
libllvm10
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
chromium libgl1-mesa-glx
The following NEW packages will be installed:
chromium chromium-browser libgl1-mesa-glx
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 76.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 229 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 libgl1-mesa-glx amd64 20.2.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 [5,540 B]
Err:2 Repository - Linux Mint ulyana/upstream amd64 chromium amd64 88.0.4324.96~linuxmint2+ulyssa
404 Not Found [IP: 68.235.39.11 80]
Get:3 Repository - Linux Mint ulyana/upstream amd64 chromium-browser all 2020.10.27 [1,264 B]
Fetched 6,804 B in 3s (2,023 B/s)
E: Failed to fetch *packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/c/chromium/chromium_88.0.4324.96~linuxmint2+ulyssa_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 68.235.39.11 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

The tried running update and got this :

mint@mint-Box:~$ sudo apt-get update
Reading package lists... Done
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 2858 (mint-refresh-ca)
N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break your system.
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like you (or something) terminated the apt process while it was working. You can delete the lock file (`/var/lib/apt/lists/lock`) as root and run apt update again.

apt uses a lock file to ensure that multiple apt operations don't run simultaneously. So, while you were in the middle of performing some apt operation if you terminate the process, the lock does not get removed, thus preventing any future apt operations from executing because apt thinks that an apt process is still running.

As for the 404 error looks like either the server is down or the package has been moved from the server. You could verify this by opening that link in a browser and see if it still returns 404.

Usually running apt update would also update the package mirrors. So try this and post here if there are any issues.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Some nice tidbit from history:

22 years ago today, Linux users protested in front of Microsoft's headquarters in Foster City demanding a refund of unused licenses.

Reddit thread discussing this -
Interesting read. TFS.
Didn't know the Windows included in pre-built machines was such a big deal back then!
Mostly because I have rarely bought a laptop, and always made my own machine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ran commands "apt update" and "sudo apt-get install chromium-browser" - chromium got successfully installed and it's running perfectly :D

Thanks guys for helping out.

Top Bottom